Arctic Willow Project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
9-12.jpg9-12b.jpg

I had used lime sulfur on the deadwood, knowing that some areas will continue to rot or get punky for awhile and it would need more work.
Yesterday I decided to work on it some more, removing more rotting wood so that I can add some wood hardener to a more finalized form.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
9-12 ls.jpg9-13.jpg

The top picture is just after lime sulfur with sumi ink was applied, and the bottom picture as it looks today. I'll apply some wood hardener in a week or two before the rainy season.

It will get styled some time in the dormant season, then I'll let it recover for a year because it seems to be doing fine in the Anderson flat.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2-10 a.jpg

Repotted today. There aren't many intact roots. I hope this tree lives, the rot and possible fungal issues with the leaves and branches may kill it.

2-10 c.jpg

Added a bit of sphagnum around the roots that are close to the surface, these are the roots I want to keep. There are intact roots close to the bottom of the pot, but I'd like to cut them off eventually.
2-10 e.jpg

Back of the tree.

2-10 d.jpg

My only goal is to get this thing to live and hopefully thrive. Then I can worry about carving the deadwood more and styling it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2-11.jpg

I had to move it into my garage/shop along with everything that has buds starting to open. It's started snowing and this weekend will have freezing weather.

Decided to do a bit more carving. After the wood dries a bit I'll apply more lime sulfur.

Top Bottom