Are bonsai wire cutters worth it?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have bonsai wire cutters and regular wire cutters. Bonsai one was around 30 bucks, the hardware store one was around 13 bucks.
Both are good cutters. The hardware store wire cutters seem to do a better job, they are as blunt nosed as the bonsai ones but they have an extra pivot which makes cutting wires thicker than 4mm a lot easier due to the leverage.
It happened a few times that my bonsai cutter didn't cut it and I had to exert a lot of force on the handles, making it easier to slip and tear.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Absolutely yes. I still have and use my first pair of Kiku wire cutters, been using them for 27 years now, that’s over half of my lifetime.😂

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know how many regular wire cutters I own - including two pair lineman's pliers (difference sizes) three pair needle nose, two pair electrician, a pair of blunt nose snippers, and probably some I can't remember right now. I do a lot of home remodelling, and do all my own electrical work. That said, I own one pair of bonsai wire cutters, one pair of bonsai wire scissors, and one pair of bonsai wire pliers. The bonsai wire cutters are my second most used tool behind my standard bonsai scissors. Though I tend to go through bonsai scissors, the wire cutters I have had forever.

If it feels overwhelming starting out, buy one nice tool per year. After 20 years you'll have a nice set!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai wire cutters are one of the least expensive “bonsai tools”. (The other is a root hook!)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 2 bonsai wire cutters. One normal/regular pair for most cutting and the second pair has a finer/narrow tip for reaching into tight areas to cut smaller gauges if I need to.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That would IMO fall under carelessness. Not that we all haven't done it, but it is careless to let the wire get ahead of you.

i can say that i’m reading this thread with interest because knicking branches is def something i do without the right tool

that’s why i have those little scissors i mentioned. with 1-2mm wire even “small” standard wirecutters are kind of huge. the scissors really help me have control. if it was only the blunt tip plier style i think i’d have a lot more issues.

here are my favorites so far. again, not sure how they’ll hold up long term and not for thick wire. i ordered some kinda no name looking ones that are the same but more heavy duty that i’m waiting on. will have to see how those hold up, shape wise they’re perfect

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wiring is not only branch development, last week I spend 2 evening securing 17 azalea sections into Anderson flats, and no way I would have done it as easily or neatly without my linemans.
Are they the right tool for removing delicate refining wire? Of course not. But if you can’t imagine what use they have, you need a better imagination! Maybe then you wouldn’t be a sad face in the face of reasonable suggestions.
Actually the post requested recommendations for Bonsai wire cutters. Not pliers.
LOL Securing trees in Anderson flats is a common wiring activity I am familiar with, never needed or wanted to use linesman pliers! Simple bonsai wire cutter and bonsai pliers. designed for the job, lighter in weight and more effective. The last batch were repotted from grow boxes and secured in Anderson flats this spring. 110 eight year old JBP. Just one section of my nursery that uses Anderson flats.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 13

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are very useful and are part of my kit, but they are a very poor, yeah crude way to remove wire from a tree.
Thats why I said “general work” not “fine delicate work”. I do a lot of potting work and use them constantly for cutting wire and securing trees.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It never ceases to amaze me how snippy people get when they are reminded that their way of doing something is not the only way. Yall do you there is more than one way to skin a cat right? Or a jin in this case.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As an electrician I'd say it depends on how good you are with cutters. I use Klein diagonal cutters for all my wire work because
A) I don't have many trees so I can afford to take the extra few seconds per cut to be careful, and
B) It's what I already own and it's basically an extention of my hand at this point.

I do admit that those rounded tip bonsai wire cutters are much safer to use on trees because there is no pointed tip that could cut into the bark, but if you don't have the issue of accidentally damaging your tree with diagonal cutters then there isn't much of a reason to prioritize buying new ones (especially if there are other tools on your radar that you don't own yet).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it has been mentioned before, but if you have fine wiring the bonsai wire cutter offers dexterity that can't be matched by any other tool.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have both the ryuga wire cutters and have used those for a few years, i wouldnt buy another pair though. i would go with some variation of an electrical wire cutter like the ones Atlarsenal posted ( the red ones), ive also seen those being used on mirai. after watching Peter warren also on mirai cut some wire from a maple with small electrical cutters pretty effectively, similar to below i tried these for £5 off amazon
51TBVo3x9YL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

i found them great for thinner gauge wire. definitely worth the money at a fraction of the price for intricate jobs.
the ryuga cutters are indeed worth it. but there are alternatives.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have both the ryuga wire cutters and have used those for a few years, i wouldnt buy another pair though. i would go with some variation of an electrical wire cutter like the ones Atlarsenal posted ( the red ones), ive also seen those being used on mirai. after watching Peter warren also on mirai cut some wire from a maple with small electrical cutters pretty effectively, similar to below i tried these for £5 off amazon
51TBVo3x9YL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

i found them great for thinner gauge wire. definitely worth the money at a fraction of the price for intricate jobs.
the ryuga cutters are indeed worth it. but there are alternatives.
Boo Hiss. Speaking for myself alone, I would butcher every branch using sharp pointed tools like these.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's another question!

Is stainless steel more durable than carbon steel? In other words, with American Bonsai last longer than Kaneshin, all other things being equal?

Is carbon steel less likely to nick bark or something?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is stainless steel more durable than carbon steel? In other words, with American Bonsai last longer than Kaneshin, all other things being equal?
You are asking two different things.

- Is one brand better than the other
- Is stainless more durable than carbon steel

I would say, stainless is more prone to breaking, and harder to sharpen. Regular steel is more prone to rust and bending, but can be sharpened better.

Which of the two brands is better, no Idea.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You are asking two different things.

- Is one brand better than the other
- Is stainless more durable than carbon steel

I would say, stainless is more prone to breaking, and harder to sharpen. Regular steel is more prone to rust and bending, but can be sharpened better.

Which of the two brands is better, no Idea.

thanks! that answered the question i was trying to ask - about the materials rather than the brands

Top Bottom