Are Chinese Maple considered just beginners trees?

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since I have yet to go to a bonsai show, I've only been able to look at displays of trees online. It seems like they're dominated by junipers and pines, with the occasional flowering tree on display. Even big names in the bonsai world seem to just deal with conifers. Chinese elm was recommended to me as a good tough tree for a beginner to work with, but I don't seem to see them displayed very much at all.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think there is some sort of stigma on Chinese Elms because they are so much used for mallsai trees. Personally, I have seen some really good ones. They have good characteristics for bonsai, and I have a few small ones I like.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
It generally is considered a good beginner tree, but not necessarily "just" a beginner species. A google search for "chinese elm penjing" yields some pretty non-beginner looking images.

Paul had a very nice one at last year's Kawa bonsai show (a small, but fun annual Florida show). here: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6845-Ulmus-parvafolia

I think they're easier, at least horticulturally, than most plants, and there are a lot of bad examples around. But with some skill and talent, they can be trained into something special.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
both maples and elms are forgiving, horticulturally speaking. You can learn how to take care of the trees while practicing skills of wiring, pruning, styling, etc. They both can grow relatively quickly and I have seen some GREAT looking specimens of each kind. I have several of each in the ground as we speak. I think one of the elms was one of the first I bought at the vendor tent at the Nat. Arb. annual spring show and sale. I say get some of each just to expand your experience level with taking care of trees and learn how to design your own!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a Chinese elm I have. image.jpg.
While it needs work it's not malsi. I have seen stunning examples of Chinese elms.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The biggest drawback of Chinese elms is that it is very hard to get a nice nebari and almost impossible to get basal flare. They won't typically taper as much as other bonsai species (maples, hornbeams, etc.) either, but I have seen some very nice ones. Brent has some very nice cork bark elm trunks with taper, especially the last one on the page. The up side is that you can get varieties with very small leaves and extremely dense twiggy growth, and most of them are practically bullet-proof.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two Chinese Elms. One smaller Negari Style (exposed roots) and one I acquired last year from Ray Theime in Fresno. Ray has a great collection and is a great guy too!. The pictures are of the new acquisition before defoliation and at the Los Angeles Arboretum Winter Silhouette Show held in January.
Enjoy,
Tona

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 29
  • file-178.jpg
    file-178.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 32

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The pictures are of the new acquisition before defoliation and at the Los Angeles Arboretum Winter Silhouette Show held in January.
Tona,

Do you have better pic (close up) of the winter silhouette?

Thanks!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All trees are beginer trees to beginers... And so am I :p My advice is to play with whatever you like and learn how to make it live... At that point you will have some healthy stock. Most won't be worth playing with a lot but you can then get the species YOU know and like in "better stock" and play! For example I have a lot of tiny stock a few years now - this Spring I will "mess" with them as to better understand techniques. During that time I will also "collect" some better larger similar stock to play with at the next level. ;)

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dario,
Bob Pressler posted some picks of the show on an earlier thread

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9949-Show-photos

There is a larger pic there.

I don't have any other good pics because I forgot my camera (Duh). I only have what others have sent me. For scale purposes it measures 34 inches tall. My awesome wife let me get it for Christmas. Best Christmas present I've ever received!!
Tona

Top Bottom