Are "fresh cut" roots better than developed ones?

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this because when I butcher the roots for repotting, that water that creeps up the outside of the trunks seems FAR more prevalent right at repot time when the roots are damaged.
During the year, sometimes if the tree is very thirsty, it will wick water up the outside where you can see it but never as copious as right AFTER the root pruning.
Just curious.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Cut roots are much less efficient than established roots. That's why we are very careful tending and watering trees after repot. If you have water creeping up the trunks, you are watering MUCH too much.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I just "cap off" the repot with a thorough wetting to settle the akadama.
It is of course, "too much" water as it's being used for a settling rather than irrigating.
What made me curious is how quickly it does that after the repot with chopped roots.
"Logic" would seem to suggest that damaged roots wouldn't take it up that fast.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to admit that I'm confused. You have water traveling up the outside of the tree after a repot? Like on the bark?

Do you hold the tree by the trunk when you are repotting?

Do you have a picture?

Immediately after a repot, you should water until the water runs clear - there are a lot of fines in the akadama that need to be washed out. It wouldn't hurt for the second watering to be just as thorough.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Confused here to. Sounds like bilateral reverse osmosis (I made that up.)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I just "cap off" the repot with a thorough wetting to settle the akadama.
It is of course, "too much" water as it's being used for a settling rather than irrigating.
What made me curious is how quickly it does that after the repot with chopped roots.
"Logic" would seem to suggest that damaged roots wouldn't take it up that fast.

Well, you should "settle" the soil around and into all of the roots with a chopstick.

I've noticed lately, though, that many people repot with damp/wet soil, and the chopstick is useless for soil "settling" when the soil is the least bit damp. Maybe you have to settle it with water then.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait...where are your ball bearings? It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads.
Mine has a disgronificator valve with needle bearings with an antimagnetic solenoid transducer and a servo actuated potentiometer. I can turn it on and off with my wrist watch. I don't care who ya are, thats Dick Tracy.

BTW, Anyone know how to unplug a bilateral reverse intra-exterior osmosis disgronificator valve with needle bearings with an antimagnetic solenoid transducer and a servo actuated potentiometer run by a wrist watch water system?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and maybe a bucket?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or if the weather is warm enough, the thong might be just the thing!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side-fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-deltoid type placed in panendermic semiboloid slots of thestator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremie pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent score motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

The retro-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of milfer trunnions. It's available soon, wherever Rockwell Automation products are sold.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Almost...bilateral reverse intra-exterior osmosis...:D
You are funny. Everyone knows that bilateral reverse intra-exteror osmosis only happens in the southern hemisphere. You must be thinking of inverse bifurcated intra-exteror osmosis.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And now we know why Radio Shack has declared bankruptcy!

They're selling those things at WalMart now!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive diractance. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side-fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-deltoid type placed in panendermic semiboloid slots of thestator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremie pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent score motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

The retro-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of milfer trunnions. It's available soon, wherever Rockwell Automation products are sold.

Some of this sounds made up?

Come on, dingle arm? Thats made up right?

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
No, I don't think so.
It's more like the trunk becomes transparent and I do all the work by holographic osmosis.

I am working on an irrigation sytem that uses a football needle valve inserted into the center of the trunk (through the drainage hole) and I can pump water directly into the wood.

Top Bottom