Are my bald cypress seedlings dying??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is my third attempt at constructing a cypress forest. First two were in shallow pots. So I summed it up getting a tad too dry a cpl times maybe, but not sure. Now I’ve got some in a bigger container that is always wet. I know it’s fall here, but in the pic you can see my big cypress right next to it. Has slight fall browning but nothing like the seedlings. If you look at the bottom right of the pic I have two cypress’s in the ground that have no seasonal change yet.

I know these seedlings did not go dry at all all summer. There is a wind tunnel that travels right through my back yard due to a valley just to my left. So I guess the seedlings have been getting most of the very cold and dry wind.

9D3637E2-F2EA-485C-BAAD-D904C8B180E8.jpeg

Whatchu guys think??
It is actually appearing the same as my other forest that have died!!
Got me worried.

Always appreciated BeeeNutterss!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I guess the seedlings have been getting most of the very cold and dry wind.
Your online temps look like they’ve been above freezing, so I wouldn’t think cold death would be the issue. Could it be early dormant? Anecdotally, my experience has been that saplings go dormant before larger trees and trees in containers seem to go before landscape trees. Although take that with a grain of salt, because my climate version of ‘dormant’ is pretty weak since we moved away from a real winter a decade ago.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
red and yellow is dormancy colors
just flat yellow with drying is not the good color XD
at least thats how my mind works

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s the exact same color as my bc, which isn’t dying. The older foliage shows fall color just before the most recent. You good me thinks

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Can you grow a B Cypress /Swamp cypress forest from hardwood cuttings planted this time of year?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well that’s a relief... I think. Thanks everyone!! I’m gonna toss them on the ground for winterizing soon with the rest of my outsiders. Hopefully these little guys do ok over the winter.

Top Bottom