Are my plants getting enough sun?

zanna5910

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I built a bonsai bench to put in my backyard to put all my growing plants on. It is relatively close to the house, and the bench gets full sun from morning until about 1-2. I did it this way as I hear that you should protect against late afternoon sun here in south texas. Is this enough sun? I'm growing boxwoods, junipers, elm and one trident.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
For those tree's you should be ok, junipers and pine like as much sun as you can give them. I have a similar bench for these type of tree's but it gets dapple sunlight the rest of the day as apposed to full shade from a house.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My junipers get 4-5 hours of direct mid day GA sun and do well. I think your sun exposure in your location should be adequate, and as long as your trees continue to grow well and be healthy, then they're getting what they need.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live where all of my trees stay out in the sun from dawn till dusk. Of course I live under a whole different sun than you guys do. It gets to 100 degrees here. Some years. Not every year.

zanna5910

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've upped my fertilizer and have got much better growth. It's been so rainy this year though not sure if this is a good test year. I'm still learning

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All of those trees should be able to handle full sun in south Texas. Mine get about 8 - 10 hours a day and I wish I had more. Just watch the water - it's been wet so far, but when we dry out keep a close eye on the water. That sun will kill em quick if you let them stay dry for too long.

- Scott

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
should be ok, i keep my more sun demanding species near the east end of the bench to get as much early morning sun as possible. if you are not getting enough light the weakness in the foliage will be obvious on shaded branches with juniper. keep an eye out for that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some with the morning sun and some with the afternoon. Rest is building shade.

Better to keep them shaded in the afternoon then not. Especially if it ever stops raining and that big Texas sun comes out again!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I built a bonsai bench to put in my backyard to put all my growing plants on.
Do you also have a bench for plants that are not growing? Which species, im very intrigued. :)

zanna5910

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
should be ok, i keep my more sun demanding species near the east end of the bench to get as much early morning sun as possible. if you are not getting enough light the weakness in the foliage will be obvious on shaded branches with juniper. keep an eye out for that.
Can you elaborate on the shaded branch foliage comment? What am I looking for exactly

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Can you elaborate on the shaded branch foliage comment? What am I looking for exactly
If you are not getting enough light to your trees, the underside of the canopy will exhibit weaker growth, this is more obvious in species such as juniper. typically growth on the tops and outside of the plant will show more vibrant color since sun rays are hitting these areas more directly. Lower or inner branches that get less light will have a slightly pale and leggier appearance with a higher chance of dieback. If I start noticing this I need to thin the top to let more light get in, if this is not applicable I reposition the tree to a location where it will get more light. I let the foliage and other factors such as soil dictate what the tree needs with respect to the sun, each tree will have slightly different demands even within the same species. I hope this helps!

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I protect just my JM from full sun .All others get full sun if available. A few don't due to logistics and they survive. As said above, full sun best for your plants. However if not obtainable., The more the better

Top Bottom