Are "sucker stumps" actually bonsai?

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
When a tree has a front and a back...a scar hidden on the back side does not concern me. I have OCD...so that is surprising. But to grasp it offers taper and movement trumps the scar in my opinion. Honestly...to have not the scar...this tree would not have the movement in the trunk. If it bothers you...what sort of tree on your bench...to compare to what you're saying? I want to further understand the quality of said trunk with no scars.
View attachment 219879

Here are a few of my trees, collected except the crab which was from nursery stock and the willow which was from a cutting. These are all older pictures but they show the trunks which you wanted to see. Note that I don't hold any
of these up as examples of outstanding no-chop trees. They are just examples of the results of my approach so far. And in fact they have progressed since the pictures were takencrab.jpgbirch.jpgbasswood.jpgwillow.JPGlarch.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here are a few of my trees, collected except the crab which was from nursery stock and the willow which was from a cutting. These are all older pictures but they show the trunks which you wanted to see. Note that I don't hold any
of these up as examples of outstanding no-chop trees. They are just examples of the results of my approach so far. And in fact they have progressed since the pictures were takenView attachment 219898View attachment 219900View attachment 219901View attachment 219902View attachment 219904
I won't lie...was hoping for a front and back view.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No, that's construction. lol even have to carry different insurance on it. Construction insurance. Technically a house...but...I see it as a construction project until complete. Though my husband is a general. So...it's a job until done. But, sure it's a house to some.

In bonsai...you have rough stock, pre-bonsai, specimen pre-bonsai...and then bonsai...and then specimen bonsai. Rough stock isn't bonsai...but has potential. But, hey...that's my take...everyone has their own way of looking at things.

All subject to opinion and usage. That's why there are several listings under word definitions in the dictionary. I TRY not to use absolutes in my opinions....."This IS .... such and such.", but I don't always follow my own advice.

Word usage is a tricky thing. I argue about the "Theory of Evolution" with my fundamentalist friend. A scientist's use of "theory" is normally much different than it's use by the general public.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have no clue what the OP is referring to specifically, and perhaps there is not a specific thing being referenced here. I can say that some of these types of trees in the right hands can yield amazing trees, look at the work Dan Robinson has done. In other hands, they may not ever be beautiful, but in a ruined sort of way, they have their own spirit. Of course if you are actually talking about stock that is selling as stumps, then you have to look at it as a beginner/stick in a pot sort of frame, just a different starting point. People see a large trunk and think it's worth more. You can make these into something if you know what you are doing. (sometimes....lol)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have no clue what the OP is referring to specifically, and perhaps there is not a specific thing being referenced here. I can say that some of these types of trees in the right hands can yield amazing trees, look at the work Dan Robinson has done. In other hands, they may not ever be beautiful, but in a ruined sort of way, they have their own spirit. Of course if you are actually talking about stock that is selling as stumps, then you have to look at it as a beginner/stick in a pot sort of frame, just a different starting point. People see a large trunk and think it's worth more. You can make these into something if you know what you are doing. (sometimes....lol)
You are absolutely right.
The large base trees pictured here are phenomenal.
They aren't what prompted the OP.
I dont want to ridicule the couple I saw that simply looked silly as they are somebody's pride and joy.
But Im outta this thread to go eat sour grapes.
I tellya..... :mad:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont want to ridicule the couple I saw that simply looked silly as they are somebody's pride and joy.
Hey!!! Don’t go away mad!

“Sumo” style bonsai are an exaggeration of bonsai. They’re not meant to be “naturalistic”, but they’re meant to have a lot of “wow!” factor.

Kinda like the muscle cars that have motors so large (or air intakes) that stick up thru the front hood of the car.

I like them (the sumo bonsai, not muscle cars, lol!), but I understand they’re not everyone’s taste. Just like pancake nebari.

There’s all kind of ways to enjoy bonsai. And as you gain experience, you develop an eye for different styles.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem with judging "stumps" is most haven't been under development for any amount of time. Here's one of my "stumps" 25 years after collection. I used to get shit 10 years ago because the branches "are silly looking" because they "don't match" the trunk's bark...They improved since then, but it's going to be a while longer before they have the same bark as the trunk. The branches have all been started since initial collection of a branchless stump from the Texas thicket. The trunk is 260 years old. That thick bark take a long time...

Bottom line, sure stumps with thin, spindly branches can look silly, but that changes....
oakie2.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there some other thread about this?
Alright, I debated about whether to respond again in this thread, but why not.

My initial impression was that the original post referred to these threads and others like them, where trees have been recently dug/chopped and have just started the next phase of development:

Big Belly Hornbeam and Sumo Style Beech

Maybe my impression was wrong, but those look like "stumps with tendrils". I don't see anyone "rejoicing" but rather sharing the early stages of development which is what people here are
always asking for. OP just struck me as pissy and negative and I reacted to that. Could have been my mood but it is what it is.

Carry on.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Mike Corazzi Some sucker stumps suck and some sucker stumps don't suck. Are you sure you are not just stumped by sucker stumps? ;)
No actually. That's probably closer than anyone has come to the essence of the thread.

But I expect it. I've often posted something and created a shitstorm all out of proportion. I'm still not going to ridicule the post I saw with what I thought was pretty awful with ....to my eye... not much potential ...and I probably should have just gone about my business.

I'm 78 and not surprised by much on any forums I participate in. Lots of times the all too prevalent linear minded people will take issue with almost anything. SOMETIMES (although I shouldn't let it) I'll get "hooked" by a flippant remark and wish I had kept my keyboard shut.

The trees PICTURED IN THIS THREAD are awesome. They are in NO WAY similar to the piece of lumber I viewed.

Ah well. Week 3 of my new titanium KNEE. OW!
o_O

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

My initial impression was that the original post referred to these threads and others like them, where trees have been recently dug/chopped and have just started the next phase of development:

Maybe my impression was wrong, but those look like "stumps with tendrils". I don't see anyone "rejoicing" but rather sharing the early stages of development which is what people here are
always asking for. OP just struck me as pissy and negative and I reacted to that. Could have been my mood but it is what it is.

Carry on.

Carry on.

my idea of a 'sucker' stump would probably look like this, shrub like.

Attachments

• 48035063_2009518082446556_1418608254551851008_o.jpg
    48035063_2009518082446556_1418608254551851008_o.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 68

Acer palNATEum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
They are in NO WAY similar to the piece of lumber I viewed.

This is my issue with this thread....we have all been playing a futile game of guess what Mike is talking about.

Hard to have a discussion about something (which is the stated purpose of this post) without knowing what the heck we are discussing.

Disagreeing is part of life and certainly this hobby. I don't fault anyone here from having different tastes than myself. Most likely your worldview of this type of tree can be related to your specific situation. Possibly you don't want to undertake such a long term project...or you don't want large trees. Everyone has biases that inform their preferences and it seems yours preclude you from enjoying sucker stumps...however it is you may define that.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is my issue with this thread....we have all been playing a futile game of guess what Mike is talking about.

Hard to have a discussion about something (which is the stated purpose of this post) without knowing what the heck we are discussing.

Disagreeing is part of life and certainly this hobby. I don't fault anyone here from having different tastes than myself. Most likely your worldview of this type of tree can be related to your specific situation. Possibly you don't want to undertake such a long term project...or you don't want large trees. Everyone has biases that inform their preferences and it seems yours preclude you from enjoying sucker stumps...however it is you may define that.
is it the portuguese oak from Conor Dash?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my idea of a 'sucker' stump would probably look like this, shrub like.
You might be right but I guess we'll never know what the OP was referring to. I probably shouldn't have linked your threads (and almost didn't) but it sounded like what he was talking about. On to better things...

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B

Carry on.
well, those are both nice trees in progress, if you are correct I don't see what the OP is talking about.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The lack of absolute clarity in the OP somehow allowed
Acer palNATEum
to not only do a perfect rendition of what nobody can understand but also draw it in a virt. :D

What a place.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
The lack of absolute clarity in the OP somehow allowed
Acer palNATEum
to not only do a perfect rendition of what nobody can understand but also draw it in a virt. :D

What a place.
ok, so it took someone else to draw a pic and took you two pages to say that is what you were talking about after being asked several times. Indeed what a place

Top Bottom