Are there any carpenters or otherwise creative people here? I have a request...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone,

So I'll be proposing to my girlfriend soon, and I'm trying to find a neat custom ring box. I don't know if I should go with something wooden or something else...like a cracked-open stone or something. Any ideas? Does anyone here actually create stuff like that and would be willing to create one for me?

My search continues in the meantime...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it's cardboard...but they make cardboard from wood and they call this a box.

For decades this box and "rings" have built a legend all thier own.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 18

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know it's cardboard...but they make cardboard from wood and they call this a box.

For decades this box and "rings" have built a legend all thier own.

And it's tasty too. :)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jessf, I'm kind of looking for something out of the ordinary -- not like a typical box with one solid wood design...you know? I don't know if anyone here does any kind of carved artwork in wood (minus trees, obviously), but I was kind of aiming for something along those lines. Also maybe an oddly shaped box...

Smoke, don't think I haven't already considered this alternative. Haha ;-p

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Axxon, gotta admit I didn't get that creative, but good on ya, for sure!

If you can't find the box you want, maybe something else creative. One guy I know gave his girlfriend a nice pair of new gloves, and wudntyaknowit, there was something in the third finger of the left one! (They're coming up on their 25th anniversary this summer.)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Find a minerologist(?) and see if they have a geod cut in half, by themselves are beautifull crystal filled orbs, could be a nice setting for letting her think she is cracking it open to find a diamond.

Jessf

Mame
Reaction score
I've carved a few rifle stocks, one from curly maple, another from American black walnut and another from Bubinga. I've made a few other smaller things, including a chopstick box with chops from snakewood. I like working with exotic woods and on small projects and with hand tools.

PM me your email and I'll put together some photos, if you like what I've done maybe I can help.

Reaction score
Axxon,

Does it really matter? Spending that much time on the ring box is like not buying a house until you find the perfect basketball hoop to hang on the garage! Just like displaying bonsai, you don't want anything to detract for the tree. Is she really going to care about the box? You should be spending your time trying to find a good pre-nup!

Good Luck

JC

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to agree with the other commenters here. To the extent anyone can figure women out, I think it's safe to say that your soon-to-be fiance would be much more appreciative if your effort and your budget in particular went to the ring itself. :rolleyes:

Good luck and congratulations :D

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know if I can help you out with a custom box, but if you have not purchase your ring out there. My Fiance is a 2nd Generation Gemologist and her family owns an awesome Jewelry Store- Called C.B. Hood Diamond Co. I'd recommend talking to her if your looking for a quality diamond. PM me if you are interested.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's the RING, not the box (It's really not even the ring)...:D

For the price of a specially constructed box, you could get an additional carat in the diamond.

Anyway, she's not going to remember the box in a couple of years and the ring is only a reminder that you asked her to marry you.

What she will remember is you asking the question and that's a good thing. Even if you splurge on a big ring and a really REALLY REALLY nice box, they don't really mean much in the long run--I've been married almost 30 years.

Believe me, if she's that hung up on the ring and the box, God help you...

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Interesting that it was in the middle finger :rolleyes:

No, no, no! I meant third finger, not counting the thumb; ring finger. I should have worded it differently, but yes, I'm laughing too!

It's even funnier to me because I know the couple. He'd never do that!

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whoa! I leave for two days and come back to find this. lol -- thanks for your responses, everyone.

Steve, that's actually a great idea -- I didn't even consider that. One disadvantage is that I think she'd find it odd to get gloves in the middle of summer, but at the same time it's obscure enough to fit my personality. lol

Bill, it's funny that you mention that, because that idea popped into my mind when I was at the place I'm having make the ring, and the owner said he'd seen something like that and would search around. He said he's not sure he'll be able to get one by the time I'm trying to propose, but he'd keep an eye out for one.

Jessf has actually offered to make me a box and I gladly accepted. Jessf, thank you again for your offer. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

JC, I have a similar outlook on the whole thing. I believe the whole thing isn't even about the ring itself, but about everything leading up to the ring, including the presentation. I've made this a special project from its conception -- custom ring with a unique design and uncommon stones, proposal ideas, etc. I think you and someone else had mentioned that it's not even the ring itself that matters, but what it stands for; and I totally agree. But I do think that a ring, especially a unique one, can lead someone back to that memory that "one special day," and even beyond that to the memory of what experiences lead to the proposal and whatnot. (This is sounding cornier and cornier as I go, I know. lol). As far as the pre-nup goes, I don't think it'll be necessary. I understand everyone has had their good and bad experiences with marriage, but I don't foresee (of course, this is probably what many have said before me) any problems whatsoever.

Mcpesq, that's how I feel about it, too. In fact, the place I'm having make the ring has cut the cost of the ring in half from what the original jeweler was going to charge for its creation; and they're using better metal and stones. Thank you for your contratulations :)

Yenling, I appreciate the offer! If I hadn't already contracted someone to make the ring, I would take you up on it. The guy I went to was a gemologist as well and that stuff is absolutely fascinating! He totally convinced me that the whole "mining for yourself" idea is a farce, and that to get a truly good stone, you have to spend a LOT of time and effort researching the areas you mine from and whatnot. Pretty interesting stuff...but anyway, thank you for letting me know. Perhaps I can contact you when I'm looking for other jewelry :D

Rockm, I agree. I also think a ring is just a ring and a box is just a box, and it's "the love that counts." However -- and even though I'm trying to "zen it out" and "live in the now" -- I think that the ring can still serve as a reminder -- something to bring back those memories of when we were first together, and the proposal, and all that stuff. As far as cost goes, Jessf has offered to make me a box for free! Nonetheless, you speak from experience and I really do appreciate your insight, and perhaps I'll feel the same way you do when I get that far along. I still do want to make this special in hopes that she will remember one day when I or she thought she wouldn't, and it might make her smile. And no, she's in no way a material person caught up on silly stuff like that. This is just me trying to make it special. lol

Klytus, jade would probably make a beautiful box. I have no clue how to find someone who works with it, is the only thing. Yes, Bill's idea of the geode sounded great, too, but I think I'm going to go with Jessf's box. He's made an offer I couldn't refuse (insert Don Corleone picture here), and I'm excited to see what they create.

Thanks again for all your input. Again, I didn't expect this to get so many responses! Sorry if my personal responses are scatter-brained or short, and I haven't scanned for any typoes or grammatical errors. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom