Are there resources here for choosing the right pot to fit your tree?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cannot seem to find anything searching, but I feel like there has to be something written here that helps point someone in the right direction.

I already know you don't want the pot to overpower the tree or distract from it. Complimenting colors seem to be better than matching colors.
I've heard some opinions on a few posts about pot shapes for specific trees but not much that I can remember as to the reasons behind those opinions.

There are some nice pots on the bonsai99 Facebook this week but I can't seem to chose one and money is a little tight right now so I can't have them all. So I want to choose a pot that fits a type of tree, (the tree isn't developed yet, so all I have to go off of it leave color and bark color...)

If anyone knows of a good resource or a rule of thumb let me know!

Thanks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tyro, there are a few basics: conifers usually look best in unglazed pots. Deciduious trees get glazed pots.

Cascades and semi cascades get boxy looking pots. They can be round, but they are only as tall as they are wide. Those really tall cascade pots aren’t healthy for the trees.

Rectangles are more formal than ovals. Dark colors are more formal than lighter colors.

When using a round pot, the tree should be planted in the very center.

With Shohin, you can use brighter, more colorful pots than for larger bonsai.

It’s a good idea to buy pots to “have on hand” whenever you come across a good one at a good price. It’s much easier to prepare a tree’s rootball, and then choose from several pots than it is to try to figure out in advance a pot to match a tree. That’s why I don’t suggest commissioning a pot be made for a particular tree unless you have a lot of experience.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is a book by David De Groot called Basic Bonsai Design, that has a chapter on matching pots with trees.
There was also a good thread here that a talented American pot maker and member of the forum contributed to, Paul Katich. He sadly passed recently, but here is the link to this thread. I found this to be helpful.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pot-school.12779/

Top Bottom