Are these aerial roots alive?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Newbie with a new tree.

I have a few question about the aerial roots on the outside of the pot. Are they alive? Can I trim the ends of the roots & apply a rooting hormone, and place them in the soil?

tbf1.JPGtbf2.JPG

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
by wrap you mean like a coil ? Wouldn't that leave "coil" marks when it fuses?
not like a coil, just spiral as you work your way to the ground since your areal root wont be super long. so one loop around the trunk and then into the ground
@Michigan Tree Murderer one can seethe roots right against the trunk, i'll take a fresh pic of mine when i get home

I'm just not a big fan of having a tree with loads of roots that become mini trunks because that and forests aren't really my thing.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right, none of the else were done by me, they all grew before I got the tree, but the areals touch the trunk all the way down and then form part of the base, sometimes if I find a long one I’ll wrap it round, but if it’s just dangling, then I snip it off

Attachments

• 26BEF31B-90D0-479C-BFA9-2A5A810A3F18.jpeg
    26BEF31B-90D0-479C-BFA9-2A5A810A3F18.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8B20A5BF-B6A4-4B91-BA9F-028E5FDB8DDF.jpeg
    8B20A5BF-B6A4-4B91-BA9F-028E5FDB8DDF.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 18

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kind of wanted to make the trunk larger, but not a very big fan of all the aerial roots partially fused. How many years did you do those aerial fused to the trunk ?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The roots will be absorbed into trunk after "time" from what I understand. No, "marks" will be present once the process is complete.
It depends on how they grow. If you coil them, there is a possibility that they will thicken and slowly adhere to the trunk, sometimes they will be visible for years. If I want them to thicken of the trunk, I set them straight at the area I want to thicken and let it grow, this way they will resemble a "live vein" instead of a snake coiling around the trunk.

The small trunk to the left was an aerial root like yours. A few months later it had already almost triple the size. The one on the right developed last summer, I will try to post an update today. It is almost fused to the trunk on that side now.

ficus branch 3.JPG

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that "pin" was to fix the aerial root to the trunk? Doesn't leave a mark when you take it off (seems the bark is going around of it)?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
by wrap you mean like a coil ? Wouldn't that leave "coil" marks when it fuses?
Yes there will be. Coilding will look unnatural imo.

The most natural result will be if you let them grow out vertical (As air roots would nomally be pretty much vertical once they anchor) or against the trunk and follow a natural line down.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
that "pin" was to fix the aerial root to the trunk? Doesn't leave a mark when you take it off (seems the bark is going around of it)?
The pin in the front was an approach graft, the one you can see on the back on the left side is a "root" graft that ended up being an additional trunk.

No, ficus grow so fast that those marks disappear within a growing season. That picture is from May 2021 when I repotted the tree, I can't find a picture from that side, but here is a picture from August 2022 when I cut the tree back. You can see the additional trunk and the aerial root almost fused together at the base of the tree. The aerial root went from string size to almost 1" in a growing season.

This tree is due a repot, or at least I need to dig 1" of soil out of the surface... maybe this weekend if I can manage to get some time. It needs to go into a bonsai pot soon.

1667217466707.png

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The most natural result will be if you let them grow out vertical (As air roots would nomally be pretty much vertical once they anchor) or against the trunk and follow a natural line down.
This 100 times!

Keep in mind, aerial roots hardly work on a small tree. Most of the ones you see that look natural are in monster size ficus. And if you plan on doing them, your tree needs to be in refinement. If you are developing the tree and fertilizing it heavily they will thicken too fast creating trunk size roots.

My ficus thread.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pin in the front was an approach graft, the one you can see on the back on the left side is a "root" graft that ended up being an additional trunk.

No, ficus grow so fast that those marks disappear within a growing season. That picture is from May 2021 when I repotted the tree, I can't find a picture from that side, but here is a picture from August 2022 when I cut the tree back. You can see the additional trunk and the aerial root almost fused together at the base of the tree. The aerial root went from string size to almost 1" in a growing season.

This tree is due a repot, or at least I need to dig 1" of soil out of the surface... maybe this weekend if I can manage to get some time. It needs to go into a bonsai pot soon.

View attachment 461189
I think I remember your thread about that tree :) Last offtopic question, the approach graft, you just put them together and it fused ?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I remember your thread about that tree :) Last offtopic question, the approach graft, you just put them together and it fused ?
You could, as ficus grows fast and fuse easily, but I like to help it a little bit by carving the area I want the graft either in a wedge or concave shape and scraping the bark off to reveal the cambium. Then push it against the wedge as tight as possible and pin it in place.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The above advice is excellent, but back to the beginning, don't use rooting compound. These compounds are meant for one thing only, to initiate roots. If you use compounds on roots you waste it at best, and harm the root more likely.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In short, I would
- Clip the two vertical sprouts on the low trunk next to the side branch. (Consider whether you like the planting angle of the tree_
- Drap the aerial roots along the trunk, possibly flaring out a little at the back to help it there. If you anchor the root in the soil and leave it there, it will sprout roots in the soil within weeks, given good climate, and then you can trim the rest off.

1667220928214.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In short, I would
- Clip the two vertical sprouts on the low trunk next to the side branch. (Consider whether you like the planting angle of the tree_
- Drap the aerial roots along the trunk, possibly flaring out a little at the back to help it there. If you anchor the root in the soil and leave it there, it will sprout roots in the soil within weeks, given good climate, and then you can trim the rest off.

View attachment 461198
That's a good idea! Thanks for that and all the info. :)

Top Bottom