Are these both the same bonsai?- thinking about doing a group bonsai. But I bought them from 2 different sellers

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
Are these both the same bonsai?- thinking about doing a group bonsai. But I bought them from 2 different sellers

they are both meant to be red dawnwood.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_143349.jpg
    IMG_20200726_143349.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200830_150557.jpg
    IMG_20200830_150557.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 79

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard to tell from the photos. The both look like dawn redwood to me. One thing to check, do leaves alternate or do they come off the stem in opposite directions at the same spot. Dawn redwoods have compound leaves with multiple needles to be careful how you look. Maybe Google "dawn redwood vs bald cypress leaves" to be absolutely sure. The trunks on the lighter green plants look more cypressy to me, but the leaves look very much like dawn redwoods.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look similar enough.

A realistic decent plan would be growing them individually for some time first.

It is hard to find Small Chinese Junipers with good branching, but these are the best to start with of you don't want to have to grow stuff out forever. Boxwood, Elms.

Best!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The gold one is probably 'Ogon' or "Gold Rush' in English.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gold one is probably 'Ogon' or "Gold Rush' in English.

That's hard to tell until maybe fall colors. My dawn redwoods in full day sun are that light. The ones in the house are darker foliaged like the first picture.

But that's a good point. If one set is a cultivar, the fall colors may look dissimilar enough the detract. OP doesn't list location (please add it in your profile, it helps!) But, if it's northern hemisphere colors will emerge soon enough. Trees may be too small to have reliable color though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The gold ones are gold all year. There are more gold varieties, I have two, one with longer, bigger foliage, and four seedlings with shorter foliage. The big one is 'Gold Rush'.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gold ones are gold all year. There are more gold varieties, I have two, one with longer, bigger foliage, and four seedlings with shorter foliage. The big one is 'Gold Rush'.

I've looked at "gond rush" in my local nurseries. The summer color difference doesn't look that different from my from seed tree's summer color. At least not enough to justify the price difference! But color is subjective and I didn't look at the two side by side either. The fall colors of "gold rush" are more notably impressive to me.

All the "gold rush" cultivars I've seen in nurseries here have obvious graft lines. I don't see a graft on these. Maybe more experienced eyes?

Regardless, if it is a cultivar, there may be some distractions in a group planting even if they are the same species...which they look to be to me.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would love to hear opinions on this one - cuttings taken from my fathers tree, which is stunning - but he has no idea of the cultivar. I just know it’s different, electric lime ish, and I love it!
side by side here with the species…

2FA9596C-488E-4FAC-869E-09ED4668DE85.jpeg1248DE76-FB54-4776-9128-175F41BD5E6B.jpeg3964F42E-577D-45BF-B15F-F944677D7F53.jpeg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Alas, it blew off the bench a week ago and the top 98" broke off. 5 years of building shot...
View attachment 394200
That’s quite brutal. Been some gusty weeks here in the mitten.

I love the angle of the branches/style you’ve created here. I’m developing an informal upright Dawn, with some heavy carving, in more of an alpine look with descending branching.

it took me about a year of mental debate to deviate from what I see Dawn as, shape-wise, in nature (urban plantings, so not really nature). One on my street is about 90 feet tall, I surmise planted in the 1950s when the neighborhood was built. It still has a distinct flame shape, like my younger yard planted dawns. I’ve seen a few that have some horizontal branching, and I’ve always been curious whether ancient Dawn redwood would take on descending branches in some environments.
So I decided given the characteristics of the tree, I could pull off more of an alpine shape. We shall see with its vigorous upright growth tendencies whether I can control it!

sorry to hijack the thread with rabbit holes.

Top Bottom