Are these branches starting out?

Jaelfo

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi there, new to bonsais if anyone can help 😊 I started growing in February, just a kit with a mix of seeds (type unknown). I have got 20+ little trees going so ended up doing amazing first time!

Of everything I have read, it says to concentrate on the trunk growth for the first few years. Are these branches that are growing? If so what do I do? Cut them off or leave them?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated for this newbiee!

Attachments

• 20210813_104104.jpg
    20210813_104104.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210813_104108.jpg
    20210813_104108.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 16

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm new too, but what I've been told is that branches will thicken the trunk, so leave them. As Tums said, you can eventually cut the trunk above a branch and make the branch the new trunk. This gives it movement instead of a straight trunk. Or you can always cut off the branches you don't want later. Right now, just let it grow!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, those are the very beginnings of branches. It is officially a tree now, not just a stick in a pot.

As said, let it grow. Give it a couple years maybe, but at least one, before even thinking about doing anything to it. Well, you could wire the trunk now maybe, but I wouldn't be in too big a hurry.

Now is a great time to just observe how they grow. On many species, each leaf will grow into it's own branch. Pay attention to the nodes where the leaves bud from, how the leaves turn toward the light as they grow, and how the trunk grows upward by making more growth at the top compared to growing more trunk from the base. Do the branches grow outward, perpendicular to the trunk, or reach straight up as soon as they get going?
All trees do it a bit differently, so pay attention now and you'll know exactly what to expect from it when you're ready style it.

Lot's of smart folks around, so post some more pics as it grows, and maybe we'll be able to identify it for you.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When they say concentrate on the trunk first that just means to allow the tree to grow so the trunk thickens. You can also wire or prune to make initial bends if you don't want your little tree to have a vertical trunk.
As already mentioned, more shoots = more leaves = more thickening so leave pretty much everything to grow for now. Bonsai is a marathon not a sprint. Starting with seed means you will be right at the back of the pack too. Most of us start off with nursery stock or collected trees. That can knock several years off the process.
There will be plenty of time to decide what to cut and what to leave next year or maybe a few years after that.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Stated differently: Go ahead and chop it above the first piece of foliage ...if you're satisfied with the trunk's thickness. If not, you've got a waiting game ahead of you. There are a few things to do in the meantime, but primarily you're waiting.

Top Bottom