Are These Mites?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I decided to snip a few longer shoots from my Arakawa Maple today and saw these on the tips. I haven't inspected the whole tree yet but will after writing this post. Are these mites?

I sprayed the tree with copper 2 days ago as I had a couple black spots on some leaves. The only pest control I have right now is Maliathon. Should I go ahead and hit it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Bugs1.jpg
    Bugs1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Bugs2.jpg
    Bugs2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 86

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look like aphids to me. Just gently squish them or wash them off with a spray of water from your garden hose.

Often (usually?) you will see ants running up and down the stem - ants cultivate aphids (love that honeydew).

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
you will see ants running up and down the stem
You are correct....I have seen lots of ants all over the tree. When I clipped off the shoot there was about 5 or 6 ants on 2 leaves. Are they eating the aphids?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ah....I just read an article about ants and aphids. They farm them for the secretion you mentioned. That's really interesting but I want to eradicate those little bastards. Thanks for the info.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You are correct....I have seen lots of ants all over the tree. When I clipped off the shoot there was about 5 or 6 ants on 2 leaves. Are they eating the aphids?
They are farming them.. The ants like the residue the aphids produce..

You can squish them, spray soaps... But they usually keep coming back because it can me almost impossible to get them all off.. Or you can just give it a bit of systemic insecticide (if they are allowed in your area) and you will never see them again.

Bayer is what I use.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks Eric. I removed what I could with my fingers and then hit them with some Neem Oil. I mixed up a fresh batch and will spray weekly or so until I see them decline and them use it periodically to keep them under control.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. I removed what I could with my fingers and then hit them with some Neem Oil. I mixed up a fresh batch and will spray weekly or so until I see them decline and them use it periodically to keep them under control.
I used Neem oil for a while.. They laughed at me when I tried it! LOL

They aren't a life threatening bug or anything, but they sure can make some ugly foliage in a hurry.. Try that systemic man, seriously... Makes life easier!

I don't use it on azaleas to protect the bees... figure I should be careful.. And I have heard Elms do not react well to it, but haven't tested that theory... But Maples, Boxwoods, juniper... That sort of stuff... Oh yeah buddy! Keeps away those damned aphids and any kind of insect that likes to drain sap or chew on leaves!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I use bayers too and it keeps pretty much everything at bay. I put my trees slightly suspended in a large Rubbermaid and water the tree with bayers and then let the tub evaporate dry behind my shed covered with mesh. I try and keep the harmful stuff away from anything good or in the water table. Lots more work but I feel like I'm doing my part.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The only pest control I have right now is Maliathon. Should I go ahead and hit it?

Here I set the garden hose to jet and knock them all off and then hit the tree with Malathion after it dries off. Myself I only seem to need one application as they seem to show up once during any season here. Out of habit I always spray and let the spray dry or oil set in a shaded area.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You only need to keep them at bay for a few weeks. Aphids seem to prefer new, soft growth, so once the new foliage hardens off, the aphids will be gone. Fwiw, this is the first year I've ever had issues with aphids on my maples...Isotox did them in.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Although NOT as effective, but twice as fun as any chemicals (especially if you have young kids) is to release ladybugs.

I had some aphids a year or two ago, Ladybugs did the ol kobayashi on em and then left town on me.

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of ladybugs, where is a good source for those online? I see some on Amazon, are those "quality" bugs or will they be dead on arrival?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i had an amazon gift card so I got from one of those random places. I forget how many i ordered. There were definitley some dead but the majority were alive. You may also be able to check local garden center/nurseries to ensure they are alive and avoid shipping issues.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ordering ladybugs from elsewhere brings diseases that can kill your local ladybugs.

I'd try a predator attractor. They're said to work.

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ordering ladybugs from elsewhere brings diseases that can kill your local ladybugs.

I'd try a predator attractor. They're said to work.

Sorce

Can you explain sorce? Do you mean if the ladybugs brought in are carrying disease that can infect local ladybugs? I would think they would be free of disease, no?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you explain sorce? Do you mean if the ladybugs brought in are carrying disease that can infect local ladybugs? I would think they would be free of disease, no?

I read somewheres they carry stuff that will put a hurting on local ones.

I can't find the predator bug attractor, but in searching For it I found a thing on flowers that will also attract predators.

Sorce

Top Bottom