Are these seeds viable?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm very new to bonsai.
I bought some seeds such as Scots Pine, Black Pine, Norway Spruce, Tamarack Eastern Larch and White Cedar Hinoki.
I've done what the instruction say to soak them into warm water for 24 hrs before stratification process.
But the seeds just dont fall down.
Are the seeds still viable?
Do they have a chance if I still continue to stratificate them?
And for the Scots Pine seeds they also dont fall down, but I shake the water and they fell. Are they viable?
Thanks for the help.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Give them 24 more hours in the water and then stratify them as instructed. Most of them, if they are viable, will sink. I always do 48 hours.
Warm water can be dangerous; above 40 degrees C it can kill some seeds. Cold water is good enough.

Are they viable? We don't know. You don't know either until a month or so from now. Seeds can sink but not germinate, they can die during the stratification process if fungus or bacteria break out, there's not really a way of knowing it for sure unless you do everything in lab conditions.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hearty smiles forward from the sea of faces, traveler! The Woody Dwarves laugh uproariously with delight as they see you round “the bend”.. near the gates of the Tiny Forest.

@Wires_Guy_wires has already been here... with the information you requested... sweet!

Just blowing by your campsite to cheerfully holler;

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hi guys, I'm very new to bonsai.
I bought some seeds such as Scots Pine, Black Pine, Norway Spruce, Tamarack Eastern Larch and White Cedar Hinoki.
I've done what the instruction say to soak them into warm water for 24 hrs before stratification process.
But the seeds just dont fall down.
Are the seeds still viable?
Do they have a chance if I still continue to stratificate them?
And for the Scots Pine seeds they also dont fall down, but I shake the water and they fell. Are they viable?
Thanks for the help.
Good luck with your seeds, come back to us if you need more questions answered. Start thinking about the next steps.

Get your seed starting mix started
Buy a seedling heat mat
Get a 1020 tray with dome

where do you get your seeds from?

Reaction score
Give them 24 more hours in the water and then stratify them as instructed. Most of them, if they are viable, will sink. I always do 48 hours.
Warm water can be dangerous; above 40 degrees C it can kill some seeds. Cold water is good enough.

Are they viable? We don't know. You don't know either until a month or so from now. Seeds can sink but not germinate, they can die during the stratification process if fungus or bacteria break out, there's not really a way of knowing it for sure unless you do everything in lab conditions.

Thanks for the information :D

Reaction score
Good luck with your seeds, come back to us if you need more questions answered. Start thinking about the next steps.

Get your seed starting mix started
Buy a seedling heat mat
Get a 1020 tray with dome

where do you get your seeds from?

Thanks for the recommendation :)
Okay I will buy the mat, as for the tray I already bought it long before posting here but without dome :(
I bought it from marketplace in my country Indonesia

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the recommendation :)
Okay I will buy the mat, as for the tray I already bought it long before posting here but without dome :(
I bought it from marketplace in my country Indonesia

It is not too hard to “fabricate” a “dome”.... flipped over rubbermaids... aquariums... plexiglass.... even clear bags..

🤓

Top Bottom