Are these webs OK?

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This morning was very foggy and damp, I went outside and found these little webs on some of my trees. I see these webs on a lot of shrubs in the area and they usually just last for the morning, then go away.

It's not a spider mite infestation is it?

IMG_20171012_084002.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I went outside and found these little webs on some of my trees. I see these webs on a lot of shrubs in the area and they usually just last for the morning, then go away.

Looks like the doing of young funnel spiders to me, harmless here. Here spider mites would look far more like a tiny cotton ball. I am not familiar with a lot of species though so I will be interested in other responses.

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
looks like spiders to me too, is there a small hole in each one that a spider might hide in?

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't believe I saw any holes in them. Just looked like a cobweb. I'm hoping it just some spiders. If they're there tomorrow I'll be sure to check better for holes.

After doing some research online I came across Dollar Spot Fungus? Which I think mostly affects grass, but can possibly be on shrubs? I don't know, but the fungus cobweb looks very similar. Has anyone dealt with this fungus on their trees before?
water33spot.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They look like spider webs to me...
I like spiders in my trees, except when I'm 30 minutes into a wiring job and a jumping spider flies out onto my face....

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After doing some research online I came across Dollar Spot Fungus?

Fungal would stay - notice the webs you have shown are very geometric, with design. I still suspect a young spider or group of young spiders at practice. Last weekend when defoliating a Quince I removed, with a bamboo skewer over 50 babies from interior growth and released them to the grass. Not uncommon after hatch.

Grimmy

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK thanks guys. Crisis averted.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yaupon holly I was working on had spider webs with cricket parts in them...left them there for Halloween.

Top Bottom