Are weeping cultivars prefered for weeping style trees?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, that bonsai is my creation, but I gave it to Joe Noga in 2009. Dale made that container. But the tree grew and the pot was too small.

A few years ago Joe had a ceramic artist from North Carolina make a new larger pot.

This maple is in my Classical Bonsai Art book, and attached are the two pages with the complete history. Glad you enjoyed it.
Bill

I did ask permission at the time if I might share this. Which he gave me permission. This isn't the tree I was talking about though. I caught a glimpse of I believe a wisteria in an upside down pot in one of his walk through tours of his garden.
NOGA MAPLE 1.JPG

NOGA MAPLE 2.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Valavanis is more like a tree clinging to a cliff. So not necessarily the case.
I was addressing the effects of a tree grown upside-down as was discussed as a mechanism to have a weeping tree, presumably to display right-side-up afterwards. Picture that, and upside-down leaves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was addressing the effects of a tree grown upside-down as was discussed as a mechanism to have a weeping tree, presumably to display right-side-up afterwards. Picture that, and upside-down leaves.
Ahh poorly thought out for sure. This upside-down down thing has been around for awhile. I seen an amazing jade done. I guess...my mind can't fantom turning the pot the other way. When such amazing things have been done the proper way.

It's like their gerbil got tired half way through and quite.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Valavanis is more like a tree clinging to a cliff. So not necessarily the case.
I thought that sounded pretty neat as I pictured it in my mind. Forgive me, but the article and examples presented bring a much different image to mind of trees growing out of the ass of the pots. Unique in all the wrong ways.:rolleyes:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the idea of growing "from under" some kind of rock or whatever, but the nature form of growth has to be reaching out and up like these...
Over the edge.jpgCastle Tree.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought that sounded pretty neat as I pictured it in my mind. Forgive me, but the article and examples presented bring a much different image to mind of trees growing out of the ass of the pots. Unique in all the wrong ways.:rolleyes:
One man's opinion ... it's okay you can't see it.

Bonsai is art...Valavanis has vision and it shows. Loved his out of the box thinking. His wisteria...I wish I had an image of.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A photo of the bald cypress in leaf. Taken yesterday. Seeing it with foliage...makes it worthwhile.

Bald cypress...in an Erin Pottery pot.
View attachment 378326
Cadillactaste how long do you keep the wires on? I usually see photos of weeping trees with wiring on, and I'm wondering if they are constantly taking off and reapplying wire to keep the form, or if they're keeping the same wire on.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cadillactaste how long do you keep the wires on? I usually see photos of weeping trees with wiring on, and I'm wondering if they are constantly taking off and reapplying wire to keep the form, or if they're keeping the same wire on.
If you don’t choose a weeping type, you will constantly be battling the upright growth characteristics, constantly wiring, constantly pruning. The minute you let a shoot grow upright, it will quickly gain strength, impact the design, and weaken everything being forced to grow down.

Top Bottom