Are you a bouger?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found 6 of these dwarf bougies at my local hardware store. They were on the ''specials'' table where they try to flog off sick plants just before they turn into compost. All leafless and on the edge of death. They were reduced from %15 to $4. I took the lot - all different colours. A bit of TLC and the next year this. Not bad for 4 bucks I reckon. I will be propagating this one in particular. Very tight dwarf habit and excellent for small trees.
I've always considered them to be a bit too glam for bonsai but now I like them.

View attachment 173423

View attachment 173424
I used to not like bougies because I thought they're too much glam like bouquets. I love their flowers still, just not so much on bonsai unless toned down. I've seen some with few flowers or younger flowers, and I sort of like them. I mostly like bougies for their growth habit. Some have pretty smooth bark and some have rough bark. They ramify well. The Chinese and Taiwanese have make my favorite ones.

wrcmad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sweet, but, any plans to deal with that huge raw saw cut?
Great movement in the trunk, but that's a big wound......:(;)
Yeah, it has started rolling over, but too big to ever heal I think - will rot before it heals over. However, the wound under the trunk base will rot first - the drawback of Bougies. Probably a logical reason for lack of multi-generational-aged trees of this species.
2 options - rotate for a new front, or hide with foliage. Some would suggest to carve, but that will do more harm than good on a bougie and induce more rotting. Other than that, just live with it because they are rare in this size, and awesome when in full bloom.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a bouger....

But I am wondering what you think of this form for a Bougie?

;)

I didn't want to make it tapered, so the glaze will pop off the flowers better, more visable.

So I added a lip to get it more...more...
...more proper form ..

20180112_093551.jpg
20180112_093610.jpg
20180112_093605.jpg
20180112_093559.jpg
This is a Sorcemission pot, private til it ain't. Only the second so I'm Trying to kill it!

6.5x3 Sorceround still to be bisqued.
With "Lip Service".

?

Sorce

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm certain that there are hundreds of resources on the net about growing Bougainvillea, but finding all of the information that I am looking for on one site, seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Today I found this site that likely answers 95% of the possible bougainvillea horticultural questions as they pertain to pot growing.

Some people might find this information redundant, but I've gone through all of the 60 some odd pages of boug threads and the same questions are asked over and over again.

Hopefully, anyone new to growing these vines will find this site helpful.

http://www.askmar.com/Bougainvilleas/Bougainvilleas.pdf
Hopefully I'm not being redundant, but I am trying to identify a bougainvillea species I have. I have researched Mr. Google and can't find it by the listings there. It is very young and not a grand champion, but maybe after I am gone, it will put all others to shame. The leaves are a light yellow-green, with dark green veining (it is very healthy, and rapidly putting on new growth, so I don't think the leaf veining/color is an unhealthy indication) . Bracts appear to be smaller. Not sure if the picture is good enough to see it clearly. I would appreciate someone identifying it for me & giving me some pointers if you think something is wrong with it to cause the leaf color:
upload_2018-1-13_11-41-59.png

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure of the species but that needs a good feed, get some fert on it soon and maybe some iron stuff too. That is why the leaf colour is the way it is.

But I am wondering what you think of this form for a Bougie?

I like that form, I can see it working tailored to a tree .
I had been thinking since I saw you post up some cascade pot pics about asking for you one, I have a tree in mind provided it kicks on in spring.
That last Boug I dug, posted here somewhere... it's the only cascady one I have but I reckon it wants a @sorce pot.

Probably not due for a repot for a couple of years but that is cool, get some growth on the tree and shape and maybe see what happens.
If your up for it I am.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure of the species but that needs a good feed, get some fert on it soon and maybe some iron stuff too. That is why the leaf colour is the way it is.

I had been thinking since I saw you post up some cascade pot pics about asking for you one, I have a tree in mind provided it kicks on in spring.
That last Boug I dug, posted here somewhere... it's the only cascady one I have but I reckon it wants a @sorce pot.

Probably not due for a repot for a couple of years but that is cool, get some growth on the tree and shape and maybe see what happens.
If your up for it I am.

Hell yeah....

Hows your coming out here looking?

Sorce

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score

If your up for it I am.
I had that fertilizer thought, also. But this plant is getting fertilized on a weekly basis. My only thought was maybe the fertilizer makeup needs to be changed. Besides, that boug is growing like a weed with added leafs and bracts all the time. ????????

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure yet, my wife had a interview for a job in NY of all places, if she gets a call up for a second then we will probably all go and make a trip of it. Though the dog pissed on my passport when he was a puppy so I need to get that fixed first, lol.

If not I would cover all postage costs and risk Spanish customs, I got a new ID number here too so that should actually be accepted in their systems and make life easier as that was my problem last time, the computer wouldn't accept my number and they wanted me to go to Madrid in person to pick a box up and show them my pissy passport for proof.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I had that fertilizer thought, also. But this plant is getting fertilized on a weekly basis. My only thought was maybe the fertilizer makeup needs to be changed. Besides, that boug is growing like a weed with added leafs and bracts all the time. ????????

Your soil mix looks good for drainage and if you are feeding it then normally yellow with green veins would mean iron deficiency.
Not sure what specific product is available as mine are not the same but I would use something that specifically treats iron deficiency, then you will get better growth and it will make ID easier too. :)

It is a relatively common issue with Bougies but certainly fixable.

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
Your soil mix looks good for drainage and if you are feeding it then normally yellow with green veins would mean iron deficiency.
Not sure what specific product is available as mine are not the same but I would use something that specifically treats iron deficiency, then you will get better growth and it will make ID easier too. :)

It is a relatively common issue with Bougies but certainly fixable.
Okay, I have looked at my fert mix and it has negligible iron in it. I'm assuming there is not enough there for the bougainvillea. I have added some chelated iron, so we'll see how that works. I'll follow up with a photo, if it works. Otherwise I'll take a picture of the garbage can with the boug in it.:p:p

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score

Random User

Reaction score
I found 6 of these dwarf bougies at my local hardware store. They were on the ''specials'' table where they try to flog off sick plants just before they turn into compost. All leafless and on the edge of death. They were reduced from %15 to $4. I took the lot - all different colours. A bit of TLC and the next year this. Not bad for 4 bucks I reckon. I will be propagating this one in particular. Very tight dwarf habit and excellent for small trees.
I've always considered them to be a bit too glam for bonsai but now I like them.

View attachment 173423

View attachment 173424

That bougie is pretty-damn-glam alright, it's the same colour as the one I'm struggling with, but I'm certain mine isn't a dwarf variety... I like it.

Random User

Reaction score

That thing is a monster!

I like that colour too, and would also leave the wounds just like they are. IMHO, if you're going to ever be happy with a collected boug, you have to break most of the rules. (Or accept the fact that you're likely to break many traditional rules anyway.)

Mine is about as big around as your beer bottle, and stalk straight... I want to have the only upright formal boug since it seems to be generally accepted (on web sites that I've read) that they won't conform to this style.

Random User

Reaction score
Sorce, I like that shape for a boug, and I think it would work well, but after seeing how temperamental they are with the roots, I'd tend to lean toward a tapered pot for easy(er) extraction...

Random User

Reaction score
DeanoAZ,

Take it for what it's worth, but I think you have more than an iron deficiency... my next post might present some food for thought?

Top Bottom