Are you a Net Bonsai Wanker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you consider yourself one? I got the most interesting email from Marco Invernizzi just yesterday.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Evolution is a strange thing you know? it used to be a very slow process but nowdays, due to the amazing archivements of modern tecnology, all sort of new things are popping out everywhere, including a new species of bonsaist called: NET BONSAI WANKER.
A NBW spent 90% of his bonsai-time in front of the computer and behind the keyboard he/she feels the right to bitch about anything under the sun. Yes because that's where bonsai should be made, under the sun, outdoor right?!?!....but they prefer to spread all over the world their very little, or more likely no existing, bonsai knowledge holding a plastic mouse in their hands instead of a bonsai tool. I hardly understand the fun of cyber-sex but someone with few decent tree and A LIFE, shouldn't get busy working on their trees right!?!?....but a real NBW doesn't really have much of bonsai in his/her garden, they are
always ready to share their godspell judgments with everybody, but when it comes time to see what they really do, they are so cleaver of coming out with an increbile list of excuses about why that tree died, of that other bonsai is sick or why their best bonsai is no more than a brumm stick.

The profile of a NBW is more likely to be the one of the big majority of the people who spread negative review of ICHIBAN since its launch last summer. None of them actually ever had ICHIBAN in their hands.
Lots of other people after trying the most innovative bonsai tool ever, did actually like it and are using it every day. That's why Masakuni and I worked so hard for the last 4 years so that people that actually do bonsai could enjoy more working on their trees. Please click on the following link to find out what few bonsaist have to say about ICHIBAN. www.ichiban.it (TESTIMONIALS)

italian version: L'evoluzione � una cosa ben strana. Un tempo le cose cambiavano cos� lentamente che nessuno riusciva ad accorgersene, ma le innovazioni tecnologiche protagoniste del nostro tempo hanno cambiato di certo la percezione del tempo e inoltre hanno dato alla luce una nuova categoria di bonsaisti:
i BONSAISTI PIPPAIOLI della RETE, conosciuti anche come BPR.
Un tipico BPR passa il 90% del suo tempo davanti ad un computer e nascondendosi dietro la sua anonimit� informatica si sente in diritto di sparare le pi� grande
cazzate sotto la luce del sole, ed � proprio l�, all'aperto che lui dovrebbe stare, nel suo giardino a fare bonsai, ma invece, visto che nella maggior parte dei casi le
piante a casa non ce le ha, allora pensa bene di salire in cattedra e dispensarci tutti della propria ignoranza e superficialit�.
Sono i tipi alla BPR che negli ultimi mesi, da quando ICHIBAN � stato lanciato in tutto il mondo , hanno riempito la propria boccaccia e le pagine dei vari blog
di bonsai di una lunga serie di commenti negativi su questo innovativo attrezzo fatto a mano da Masakuni.
Il vero problema non sono i commenti, che sono sempre benvenuti, ma il fatto che nessuno di loro ha mai tenuto ICHIBAN nelle loro mani.
Altri bonsaisti invece hanno provato ICHIBAN, clicca su questo link per scoprire chi sono: www.ichiban.it (TESTIMONIALS)
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My ex wife used to go to the market on a brumm stick.....

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
haha I got this the other day too.
I guess I'm out of the loop because I didn't even know what the heck an Ichiban was (It did make me come here and read an entertaining thread on it though)
I'd like to try one out, but until I start working OT or hit the lottery, my Bonsai money would be better spent on quality trees

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL so basically if you don't buy his tool you're a Net Bonsai Wanker. What a great way to get customers.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got it too Chris, shook my head as I read it. Had more respect for him prior to that. That should not have been even type to conclusion by a professional, let alone send it to thousands around the world.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got it too Chris, shook my head as I read it. Had more respect for him prior to that. That should not have been even type to conclusion by a professional, let alone send it to thousands around the world.

Remember the thread when I mentioned Marco coming to California and his tour had been offered to many clubs and five that I knew of turned down the offer? He pissed them off 8 years ago and I see that those 8 years have not mellowed him....

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sales must be slow for Ichiban, nothing like reverse psychology marketing...YIKES

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I think it's funny and not offensive at all. Think about that thread here on the nut, several pages of bashing the ICHIBAN by everyone that has never even tried one let alone ever seen one in person. I would assume that those (and others) are the people that his marketing team refers to as NBW!!! People who know everything bonsai without ever making a bonsai. I also read into it that you should be out working on your trees, not sitting in front of the puter talking about it. Which is very true, bonsai doesn't happen on the web, it happens in your yard! Get out and work on your trees~!!!!

I look at it with an open mind and see the humor in it, life is too short to let something like this bug you.

Net Bonsai Wankers….thats some funny stuff!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the note I sent in response:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica,><br>sans-serif]I understand that you have a personal time, money, and emotional investment in your tool. Also in Ichiban ;)[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] But really this is a bit over the top. I respond because I am not one who posted a lot of negatives about Ichiban but still find this a bit offensive. I HAVE held an Ichiban and used it a bit and found it to be nice but not really my cup of tea. I don't want to unsubscribe to your newsletter just yet, but perhaps you could find a bit more positive way of promoting your tool. And Ichiban, too.[/FONT][/FONT]

Chris Johnston

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
On the other hand, I think that we can all think of a few net bonsai wankers that fit his description pretty well.

- bob

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They must all post in a language other than English,i'm still waiting to see the testimonials of satisfied or dissatisfied customers in a language i can read.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well Marco took the heat off of Walter. Since Marco is my friend, I feel to defend him in some little way. Bonsai is his life, when he teaches, he is dead serious about his students learning from their experience, since they paid money to learn. He spent a ton of money and time in developing his tool and to have people complain about it having never even seen one, would piss me off too. The main complaint is the price, I can understand most people wouldn't invest that much money on a quality tool, when they can go to Wal-Mart and buy someting for 3 bucks, but chances are they're working on a 5 buck nursery plant. This is a top end tool for serious students of bonsai.
keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Haha, I got this email too. Thought it a little odd of him to be sending a mass email like that, but oh well. Maybe he's just angry that his incredibly expensive tool is not selling as well as he had hoped. In Ichiban's defense however, and yes I have held one, it is a very high quality and uniquely designed tool for multi purpose use. It even comes with a fancy velvet lined box! As Harry said, you probably should not discount Marco because of a silly email, he is one seriously amazing bonsai artist...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think Marco is a funny talented guy and a fantastic artist.....but his sales tactics are bit immature.

A while ago we designed and manufactured a tool for bonsai that we offered out to the community. It sells alright and we get good feedback on it, as well as bad feedback (Can't please all people all the time). The key here is that sales improve every year as experiences are spread word of mouth....patience is the mantra.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241&highlight=carving+tool

It has taken a long while for this to catch on, so to think that Marco's tool would be widely accepted almost immediately is pie in the sky thinking (IMO). If sales is a seduction, then prospective customers being called Net Bonsai Wankers can't help, since a lot of his advertising is on the web and viewed by these alleged NBWs.

My guess is, as tooling costs diminish and people's present tools wear away that his tool sales will rise and all will be right in the world.

My 2 cents for what its worth

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Not everyone is a good business man.

keep it green,
Harry

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I guess there is at least a market for a scissor action cleaver,my foray into Bonsai tooling never made it beyond eyeing the sausage extruder and egg slice for fertilizer cakes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly, if Marco is upset about the slow sales of his Ichiban, he should look at the price point of the tool as the likely reason as opposed to the comments of a few people on the web. I think it is simply too expensive for most folks, even those who have been practicing bonsai seriously for many years. It's like cars...A ferrari might be the nicest (and I would love to own one), but a toyota does a pretty good job, too. By the way, I drive a toyota mini-van:D.

Dave

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's funny and not offensive at all. Think about that thread here on the nut, several pages of bashing the ICHIBAN by everyone that has never even tried one let alone ever seen one in person. I would assume that those (and others) are the people that his marketing team refers to as NBW!!! People who know everything bonsai without ever making a bonsai. I also read into it that you should be out working on your trees, not sitting in front of the puter talking about it. Which is very true, bonsai doesn't happen on the web, it happens in your yard! Get out and work on your trees~!!!!

I look at it with an open mind and see the humor in it, life is too short to let something like this bug you.

Net Bonsai Wankers….thats some funny stuff!!

I think the Popeil Pocket Fisherman is a stupid device also. I have never seen Ron Popeil send out a newsletter like this. That guy is a genious when it comes to marketing. Maybe Marco could get Ron to hock this thing in America at 3AM and throw in a free Sham WOW with every purchase.

Hooray! everyone wins.

As far as the tool I have used it. I'm not sold on it. I think it is vastly overpriced. Now if someone would come out with a cream called ICHIASS I would buy that. Summer is coming.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as the tool I have used it. I'm not sold on it. I think it is vastly overpriced. Now if someone would come out with a cream called ICHIASS I would buy that. Summer is coming.

:D Post of the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom