Are you a Net Bonsai Wanker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i got the same email....read it, laughed and then deleted it and went on with mys business.....

Bubba...

I'm so not surprised. That's not a negative comment in the least, but rather a commentary on your easy going nature. Southerners.... :D:cool:

V

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll throw a hat...not mine...lol...but a hat in the ring..as far as time in and in certain areas, such as shohin... Suthin Sukosolvisit (lives in America) is considered, by those who have been fortunate enough to witness his skill, one of the better masters. He is considered to be without equal as far as shohin bonsai in the states. He has been a bonsai artist for 40+ years...

He is a very humble and quiet person from my dealings with him..

Sometimes, it is the quiet ones,, or the dark horses, so to speak, that come out of nowhere that absolutely astound and amaze and make you think.. Wow,,,How did I miss this guy..

I am not comparing one master to another.. I think they are all great contributors to bonsai.. I just wanted to share soemone's work that some people might not have seen before..

Here is some of his work...

Suthin is the first person I ever bought a tree from. He's a genuinely humble, gracious and extremely talented artist. If you ever get a chance to see him do a critique, don't miss it, it's an experience.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I think there is some strongly opinionated and misinformed perspectives of Mr. Kimura being tossed around in this thread. This has been discussed several times before, and it is well established that Mr. Kimura's reputation is exponentially larger outside of Japan than within. That is not my opinion but comes from people who know the Japanese bonsai culture far better than any of us.

Like most of us, I am beyond moved by Kimura's work. I also have to tell you that during my trip to Japan, Mr. Kimura's garden was the first stop made by the group. As you would expect it was truly an amazing experience. As we were leaving, I half-jokingly, half-not:confused: expressed my disappointment to the guide that everything from this point forward was going to be a let down...we had started at the pinnacle. With a smile, I was assured that this would not be the case. Much to my astonishment and pleasure, Mr. Kimura's garden is only a very small but shining part of the bonsai community in Japan.

On a side note, right at the end of our visit a couple of us met this very young and friendly Italian kid. It was but a few years later that I came to realize who this kid was/is:)

I would also have to give credit to Mr. Marco's marketing. As others have pointed out, in many cases any publicity is far better than none at all:) And, I agree that this thread is perfect evidence of this notion.

Mr. Marco, I would buy and use your tool if it fit my hand. I have tried twice to use an ichiban and my fingers are too large to hold the tool the way it was meant to be held. Any chance there will ever be a larger version available?

John

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree, Kimura isn't the beginning or the end of bonsai. But he is the best of the best and has done more for bonsai than any other person to ever live. Hands down he does and knows things that only a few of his lucky students now know. No other masters know or have ever seen.

I am not very well educated on Naka, I know a little about him but thats it. I do agree somewhat with your analogy of him to Kennedy. For American bonsai that is very sad and we as a whole need to realize he is gone and move on.....become better and let his legacy move on. If we don't do that then we will continue to staginate.

Ever heard of Saburo Kato? He was the best in modern times. As far as Japanese bonsai goes Kimura was ranked below Kato and his family. I don't think Kimura has been head of the Nippon Bonsai Society either. Warren tells a story about how he and his wife ate dinner in Japan with all of these guys and Kimura was basically running errands for Kato and the old guard. Kimura's more of a star outside of Japan I think. He's awsome, but there are others.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It's all subjective anyway, I don't care much for tropicals or D trees because most all of them are styled to look as they would in nature. I want my trees to look like a tree, only in an abstract manner.
The Japanese have captured that style and perfected it. There are other artists I admire, I have two trees that Colin Lewis styled that I love, one from Jim Gremel, a grafted California juniper, another tree I like very much. I don't buy the artist, I buy the tree. When a find a nice juniper with a lot of potential, usually from Don Blackmond, I don't want anyone to touch it but Marco, because his talent with junipers is exactly what I like, could someone else make a nice tree out of it, sure, but I want Marco to do it, in that case I am hiring an artists. I wonder if Michael Angelo was humble. Dizzy Dean once said "If you can do it, it's not bragging, it's a fact" Sorry to hi-jack a tool thread, but that's what I do best.....:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"All joking aside, I still find it funny that the humor isn't found in it by many on here. It goes back to another post of mine where I say as a whole we are too damn uptight!'

Uh, I think Marco's ill humored response kinda shows his sense of humor may be in need of some duct tape. Maybe he needs to stop taking his self so seriously:D. If a buncha us toofless rednecks can make him yowl with a little 'merican ribbing, ya gotta wonder if he's wound a little tight...

As for bonsai "masters" in Japan, Kimura seems to be the biggest publicity hound :D:eek:. There are many capable and extraordinary talents there that make bonsai just as moving only not as flashy. Ask Nick Lenz what he thinks of Kimura's work--it isn't really complementary...

Reaction score
What honestly amazed me is that, beside the fact that I designed ICHIBAN, it's a tool manufactured by Masakuni.
Masakuni start the production of bonsai tools in 1919. So it will be soon 100 years. Maybe the world is changing fast and I'm just a nostalgic person, but till 5-10 years ago, it was the goal of most of the bonsaist to get a set of Masakuni's tool. Otherwise it's hard to explain who purchased the hundreds of thousands of tools that Masakuni sold in the last 10 years or so.
For the first time ever, Masakuni comes out with a new tool. A tool that has been engineered, tested and inspected, part by part, piece by piece by the artisans who have more experience about bonsai tool in the whole world......but this is not enough for some people. On top of everything and for the first time in the history of the bonsai tools, an entire website WWW.ICHIBAN.IT has been put online in 5 languages so that everybody, from everycorner of the world would understand EVERYTHING about how to use this new tool and what this new tool can do for ANY bonsaist.
Then this tool is currently used by many world reknown bonsai masters.

People can say what they want about me, but please pay respect to a tradition of almost hundred years of experienced in bonsai tool making, because the history of bonsai tools is the history of Masakuni. And if you don't agree it's because you haven't done your homework.

Some disrespectuful words I read in some post on this website did really hurt me and I'm really sorry that some people lost for the moment the ability to recognize that one of the most traditional company in Japan has decide to take the risk to change its rules so to update to the future it's line of products. Whoever knows a bit about japanese culture understand how unlikely is that to happen in other japanese company who prefer to close more than to evolve keeping up with the changing of the modern times.

On top of that it seems that among the many of you there are lots of expert in japanese bonsai. I'm surprised to know that so many of you have travelled in Japan for so many times and met the various masters so many times to know things like the ranking of the masters and who's who and all sort of things...
So because there are so many experts I would kindly ask them to answer the following question so to share their vast knowledge with all of us:
1) who are the best ever bonsai collector in japan?
2) how many are still alive?
3) when and where is the most important bonsai auction in Japan?
4) name the last 3 locations of the Sakufu'?
5) Who was the former partner of Iiura in Nagano?
6) Who is the master of Omachi?
7) Who is the first foreigner to display a tree in Kokufu'?
8) What is written outside Kimura's pot room's door?
9) What is Fukano and where is it?
10) Where it will be located next year Kokufu?
11) Who is the best pot dealer in japan?
12) Who is the best Morimae's customer?
13) What is the biggest problem with yews material from Shikoku?
14) Who has the best collections of Spruce in Japan?
15) Who is the current president of the Japanese Bonsai Pro Association?
16) When is the last time Kimura won a Sakufu', Taikan and Kokufu' Award?
17) Who is the son in law of Kobayashi and what he won recently?
18) How many foreigners disciple are currently studying in Japan?
19) What is Kycho Bonsai?
20) How many bonsai gardens are still open in Omiya Cho?

You have no idea who is my Master and what is capable of. You have no idea what happen when my Master enter in a room full of the most famous bonsai artists in Japan. You have no idea how far is his level from anyone in Japan. You are just talking about something you have no idea about. It's like gossiping about Brad and Angelina.

My advise would be to pay more respect to someone who has the right to be part of the Hall of Fame of the best artist ever.

Changing subject, I'm really sorry that someone doesn't like the humor of my website, but let me remind you that my website got me THE COVER OF NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE japan.
1.250.000 copies with me and a bonsai on. Find out more on my website.
So 1.250.000 readers had to chance to find out what bonsai is and that bonsai is appreciated also outside Japan.
So you may not like it but it must have worked somehow for someone else. I hope that Vicky that is enough for you.

Dear JohnG, if you check the ICHIBAN website you will learn that I designed ICHIBAN so that every type of hand and finger could fit in, even left handed.
In the biggest handle you have to put only the ring finger. The smallest one goes under, the medium and the index outside. The thumb in the other handle.
Unless you got the hand of SHREK, your finger should fit just right!:):):):):):):)
It's just sense of humor okay.

Always yours
The Marketing Idiot

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The two words that stood out in that long winded resume is: Brad and Angelina.

This is what this whole thread is....soap opera...

Who cares Marco?

BTW I did find "COVER OF NEWSWEEK" all in caps entertaining though. Hope you didn't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

You know theres a reason why professionals do not play on internet forums. They can't afford to make a stupid statement that may jeopardize their earning potential by alienating a large segment of a country that helps pay your salary. There are many people that are influential in clubs and organizations like GSBF, BCI and ABS that are in positions to say yea or nay to someone like you practising in America. These people may not even be registered users here but lurk on forums just to see what is going on. So go a head and espouse your arrogant European attitude all over the net. Brag about your world master statice, and your cover of Newsweek. But know this...continue with your arrogance and bragadocious attitude and you may find that America would not walk across the street to watch you for free.

and that you can take to the bank....

Last edited:

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
People can say what they want about me, but please pay respect to a tradition of almost hundred years of experienced in bonsai tool making, because the history of bonsai tools is the history of Masakuni. And if you don't agree it's because you haven't done your homework.

What you're speaking of is the age of a company, not the experience of individuals. These are two entirely different things. And a simple shift in management or ethics is enough to totally destroy the quality of the products created at any company, which will inevitably happen with every single one.

...that one of the most traditional company in Japan has decide to take the risk to change its rules so to update to the future it's line of products.

While I've been given no reason to doubt that your scissors are like the best scissors ever (I mean, just look at them!), this statement kind of implies the possibility of what I was just saying.

So because there are so many experts I would kindly ask them to answer the following question so to share their vast knowledge with all of us:
1) who are the best ever bonsai collector in japan?
2) how many are still alive?
3) when and where is the most important bonsai auction in Japan?
4) name the last 3 locations of the Sakufu'?
5) Who was the former partner of Iiura in Nagano?
6) Who is the master of Omachi?
7) Who is the first foreigner to display a tree in Kokufu'?
8) What is written outside Kimura's pot room's door?
9) What is Fukano and where is it?
10) Where it will be located next year Kokufu?
11) Who is the best pot dealer in japan?
12) Who is the best Morimae's customer?
13) What is the biggest problem with yews material from Shikoku?
14) Who has the best collections of Spruce in Japan?
15) Who is the current president of the Japanese Bonsai Pro Association?
16) When is the last time Kimura won a Sakufu', Taikan and Kokufu' Award?
17) Who is the son in law of Kobayashi and what he won recently?
18) How many foreigners disciple are currently studying in Japan?
19) What is Kycho Bonsai?
20) How many bonsai gardens are still open in Omiya Cho?

Ooh, this is like one of those "25 things" things on Facebook! Let's all fill it out right now!

Seriously, how thick would a person have to be to think that any of this knowledge would make someone better at making little trees look like really awesome big trees? The most fantastic bonsai master in the history of time wouldn't have to know any of this.

Changing subject, I'm really sorry that someone doesn't like the humor of my website, but let me remind you that my website got me THE COVER OF NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE japan.
1.250.000 copies with me and a bonsai on. Find out more on my website.
So 1.250.000 readers had to chance to find out what bonsai is and that bonsai is appreciated also outside Japan.

I have a feeling you're not helping your case here. It sounds like you're basically saying, "I've had my 5 minutes of fame, so it's alright if I act like a jerk" But, seriously, if we're so worthless because of our lack of agreement with you and lack of trivial knowledge, why do you keep trying so hard to win us all over? Oh, that's right, because you're selling something.

Unless you got the hand of SHREK, your finger should fit just right!:):):):):):):)

I'm not going to say what this made me think of. But I'll say that if you're one of those weirdos who likes looking at that kind of thing, get some professional help, man.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Marco,
Nobody said your tool was bad. Nobody said you were a bad bonsai artist. So you can drop all that hype, yawn...What we did say was that your marketing approach was dumb. I wasn't even particularly offended by the word "wanker" so I don't fit with those being called "uptight". I simply made a strong observation, that sending out a letter to people who signed up with you, calling them wankers, was truely idiotic for a marketing move.

I think the traditional and highly respected Masakuni family might not appreciate your "humor" associated with their manufacturing name. You yourself said, "one of the most traditional company in Japan has decide to take the risk to change its rules so to update to the future it's line of products. Whoever knows a bit about japanese culture understand how unlikely is that to happen in other japanese company who prefer to close more than to evolve keeping up with the changing of the modern times." I think the preference to stay closed comes from experiences when outsiders harm their respectful reputation by calling potential customers "wankers". Smooth move. Maybe you ought to let them edit your advertising to show how much you respect their profoundly earned reputation.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey this is humorous. When you search for the meaning of wanker in Japanese culture this is what you find http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2009/0...off-second-straight-win-in-world-wank-a-thon/ Japan currently has the World Wanker Champion, two years in a row! Who knew?

There is even a Tokyo Sex Convention called the Wanker Expo.

I bet the Masakuni's are just so proud to have the word associated with their company.

I've even included a video picture of a Japanese wanker device. It's pretty clear what the word means in the Japanese culture. OOps, maybe you should have done your research.

Attachments

• wankering_ani_35x243.gif
    wankering_ani_35x243.gif
    51.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's with the European bashing going on lately? Walter got thrashed a couple days ago, now a 12 page rant on Marco. Don't like the guy? Don't listen to him. Don't like the Ichiban thingamajig? Don't buy it. Don't like his email? Block it. Don't like his marketing "strategy" (loose use of the word :D)? Who cares!

Seems to be a lot of yapping about European arrogance.

But know this...continue with your arrogance and bragadocious attitude and you may find that America would not walk across the street to watch you for free.

and that you can take to the bank....

Arrogant? Hypocritical much? Thinking you speak for America? Nothing personal towards Al, I love pics of his trees and drool over his progression threads but this just stinks to me.

Not that any of this makes a difference to me regarding who I listen to. I don't care if Al, Marco, Walter, or whomever is arrogant, if they have nice trees I'm going to pay attention to what they say. I just think it's awfully counterproductive to alienate people who are obviously good at what they do.

Going to drink more Sailor Jerry's now, watch the sun rise, and think about how happy I am to have some little trees to dink around with. I'm no carebear, but seriously people, relax!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Original Question: Are you a Bonsai Wanker? Answer: YES and proud of it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's with the European bashing going on lately? Walter got thrashed a couple days ago, now a 12 page rant on Marco. Don't like the guy? Don't listen to him. Don't like the Ichiban thingamajig? Don't buy it. Don't like his email? Block it. Don't like his marketing "strategy" (loose use of the word :D)? Who cares!

Insert Al for Marco....back at ya...

Outspoken Europeans have used their "say what we want, you don't understand that this is the way Europeans talk all the time " attitude till I'm blue in the face.

Think about the big picture Grog..

Why would Marco come to a forum ( I know he didn't, Chris did.)that can't post a good picture of a good bonsai to save it's ass and call all it's members wankers cause they engage on a forum thats fun? Why would he bring up the fact that if you aren't useing his tool you are a behind the screen wanker?

Why would he also tell us that sales are good?

I'm no rocket surgeon but I suspect there is a lot more going on here. I have more respect for the members here that some do. This is not just a case of live and let live. There is too much of this crap in the world right now. I am a very political person and I hate the devisness in the country today, I hate that I have no voice, I hate that the people have no voice.

I come here to engage in bonsai and things like this are a diversion. We don't need it. Will it go away, probably not, and as long as I have two fingers to type with I will exercise my freedoms( for now) to express my feelings.

Don't like it , put me on ignore.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I entered a wanker contest when I was young, finished first and second, top that. Now I couldn't finish the race Wouldn't stop me from trying if they had a senior division.

keep it green,
Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I stopped wanking long enough to go to the Potomac Bonsai Association show and sale this weekend.

I SAW AN INCHIBAN at a vendor's table AND HELD IT IN MY HAND--I was closely watched by said vendor who told me "no false moves with the ichiban":D. For a moment, I think I saw the face of God--and HE WAS HOLDING UP THE COVER OF JAPANESE NEWSWEEK and, verily, I heard a choir singing in the distance...:D.

Seriously, I did get a chance to actually see this thing in person and use it a bit -on an imaginary bonsai. It is, indeed functional, extremely well-made and comes in a red velvet lined pawlonia wood box :D--seriously--it does. It's beautiful--until you notice the D#&% thing IS actually $350...

I just can't get past that. Can't see the value in that. Can't see how you can't buy four other Masakuni tools (yeah, the mid-level stuff) for the same money...Can't see how in this American economy anyone with any sense would be upset that a luxury item like that isn't selling--velvet lined box or no. Ostentation is as dead as the Bush administration...

Also, the thing looks like a ruptured stork:D...which is kind of endearing, but also a little distracting...

JSKII

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was funny, boring yet intriguing to read all 12 pages. Haven't been here for a long time and this is my first thread to read. So, if I am a wanker then I better jerk-off of here and play with my broomsticks in pots. Maybe I'll lose that wanker feeling. ICHIBALLS!!! Laughing with tears here. Peace:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom