Are you a Net Bonsai Wanker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Grizzly.... I think that's awesome!!! :D

Attila... you are just a nice guy. :)

Cquinn... I can't get anything past you. :cool: Glad you like it... It ought to present well... though the flowering is likely going to be past for the most part. :( We had a very warm winter... and the baby has already been moving to bloom for a bit now. *sigh* So if Marco has a tip on slowing that down... I'd love to hear it. lol

Warmest regards,

Victrinia

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Victrinia, do you have a picture of your tree and are you allowed to give us a peek before the show?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Victrinia, do you have a picture of your tree and are you allowed to give us a peek before the show?

I have no idea what the rules are... I certainly haven't been told to keep it under my hat... I'll give you a clue though... the tree is already on this forum. ;)

V

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
No disrespect intended, but the truth is, Azaleas are flowering shrubs. They have beautiful flowers, but so do roses.I can understand a woman wanting to own a flowering bonsai, but why would a man want a feminine tree...unless. Pines and junipers are what bonsai is all about as far as I'm concerned, somethig that represents the ruggedness of nature, the eternal struggle of life against the riggers of nature and the struggle to survive against all odds. The Accomplishment of owning an Azalea is keeping it alive. Sorry miss Vick, just my opinion, good luck and congratulations on your success.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No disrespect intended, but the truth is, Azaleas are flowering shrubs. They have beautiful flowers, but so do roses.I can understand a woman wanting to own a flowering bonsai, but why would a man want a feminine tree...unless. Pines and junipers are what bonsai is all about as far as I'm concerned, somethig that represents the ruggedness of nature, the eternal struggle of life against the riggers of nature and the struggle to survive against all odds. The Accomplishment of owning an Azalea is keeping it alive. Sorry miss Vick, just my opinion, good luck and congratulations on your success.

keep it green,
Harry

Wow! A narrow view of all that the world has to offer. Sorry Harry, just my opinion.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia, Great job with having a tree in the exhibition this year. Will you be going to New York?

Watch out for bombs;)

I took a shot with the tree;););)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Thanks Chris for the thread, I wanted to buy Marco's tool for a long time, but somehow I totally forgot about it. This thread made me remember again...couldn't have happened at a better time, since I have a few hundred trees waiting to be styled.
You see, actions like yours (posting this thread) can sometimes have unintended consequences, that work out for the best, to all the parties involved. Some people benefit, others watch from the sidelines.

I owe you a luch (and a beer) one day.. :)

Might I point out that getting Marco active on the site is worth a great deal!!! :) Marco I hope you will stick around and contribute as time permits!

DaveG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

keep it green,
Harry

I'm considering trying to bonsai a Dynamite Red Crape Myrtle in the future, as well as other flowering specimens. Given what you're saying, my wife might be sort of unhappy about it. :p

Zenshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting thread, on many levels.

I am an internet marketer with degrees in marketing and e-commerce, and also a specialization in social media. This thread would make a very good case study for the results of net marketing and PR. Here are some observations from a casual onlooker:

1: Marco. Frankly, you sound like a cough medicine barker from days gone by. I can just see you standing on a soapbox shouting to the masses about Grandpa's Wonder Elixir and how it's the greatest thing the world has ever known. You are no different than any other inventor who has toiled and sweat over a product. The difference is you and your approach to the whole thing. What you haven't realized, is that people are buying you as much as they are the Ichiban. YOU are the brand identity in question here, not the product itself. This is a niche market and being a part of the community is very important, which doesn't include copping an attitude on the forums.

2: Ichiban. The tool is over-priced, period. No single tool, no matter how well designed, is ever going to replace an entire tool set. I don't care if it's made of aerospace grade titanium, diamond plated, and guaranteed for life...people aren't going to be lining up to buy single $350 tool. Multi-purpose tools are largely fad items and most realize that if they have a $350 budget, it would be a better investment to buy a set vs. a single tool. There is simply not enough value to outweigh the price point.

3: Marketing. The general approach of this campaign is, "If you don't own this product, you're a wanker." Not very smart. In the digital age of word of mouse marketing, a few clicks and negative reviews of you and your product can spread across the planet in mere minutes. It's awesome that you've created something innovative and new, and that you're excited about it. But being confrontational and condescending towards your target market is not a bright move.

4: PR. Give your product away. Find the most negative reviewer of it on this board and send them an Ichiban for free, you even pay the shipping. If you really stand behind your product, put it in the hands of someone who is vocal against it. Allow them to post an honest review, and I can almost guarantee it will be your best testimonial to date. Offer promotions and discounts for referrals. It seems that your reputation might be damaged by all of this, and a little schmoozing may go a long way to repair it.

Last edited:

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score

keep it green,
Harry

YEP narrow veiw of the world Harry....I think this is your same fellings concerning "D" trees also right.....lol.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Wow! A narrow view of all that the world has to offer. Sorry Harry, just my opinion.

Thats just me bigAL, I like Scotch, screw Wine and Gin. I guess we all have different tastes. Blonds catch my eye, even at my age, so not liking D trees, flowering shrubs or brunettes doesn't make me a bad person, just narrow minded. We both still think Obama sucks, right. All the world has to offer doesn't interest me, just the things I like.

keep it green,
Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

keep it green,
Harry

Don't worry my friend...

I know your tastes and enjoy many of the same things... I just happen to also enjoy a wide variety of trees... I'm not sure it's a comentary on how manly a man is though. lol

Daniel is 70... can still muscel a couple hundred pound tree out of the mountains of WY... and he has at least 20-30 flowering specimens. He has more than 20 times that in other species... but he enjoys the flowering trees as well. I am pretty certain he's got more testosterone than 3 average guys...lol so it's not a manliness issue. lol

Thanks for the well wishes though... that's always appreciated. :D

Warmest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zenshi...

The perspective of a marketing professional is helpful... it provides what I like to think of as balance, especially from someone who has no previous knowledge of the product. I do not doubt that this thread would make a very interesting case study. It has ranged far and wide. lol ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Harry,

One other thing... My hubby just pointed out to me (due to the new issue of Gulf Stream Bonsai Journal) that I have one tree which I can't stand. Jabotacaba... :eek: The fruit just freaks me out.:eek:

So you aren't alone in having a really strong opinion... Mine's just restricted to a single tree rather than a whole entire plant family...lol ;)

Smiling,

V

Reaction score
Victrina,
I'll be happy to share my thoughts about your tree or any other trees in the show with you or anyone who will be at the BIG SHOW in Rochester for father's day weekend. Please make an effort to be there because it's really important to support such an incredible event. I will be there demostrating on saturday and Kunio Kobayashi will be there on sunday with Peter Warren.
Kobayashi is the satsuki king btw!!!
No one has ever put together such a high-quality bonsai exhibition in the states before and by going to Rochester you will have the chance to learn a great deal by looking in person at some of the most remarkable bonsai speciments in the country.

Please come to Rochester for the National Bonsai Show!!!

We can all have a NBW party!!! :D:D:D:D

Zenshi, thank you very much to find the time to share your expertise and business knowledge with all of us.
I learn a long while ago that the best thing a business man can do it to listen. So if you think you have a better strategy then mine.... everybody is witness, I offer you a job.
The target is to increase sales of 5000 ICHIBAN sold ( and payed ) in 3 years. Either wholesale or retail. I will pay you $10.000 per year for your consulting.
But if we don't get over 1000 ICHIBAN sold you will get only 10% of the profit.
If we don't get over 500 ICHIBAN sold you will get your 10% of the profit from which I will take away the cost price of all the ICHIBAN given away.

deal?

Let me share a story with you.
I remember when everybody was telling that Kimura was never going to accept me as his disciple. They sweared that was totally impossible. Before then he never accepted a non-japanese person before.
I proved them wrong.

I remember when everybody was telling me that european bonsaist would have never buy a bonsai for more than $2000-$4000. Since I came back from Japan I sold lots of trees, many between $10.000 and $85.000.
I proved them wrong.

Do you know why? because I eat, breath, read, touch, work bonsai since I was 15 years old EVERY DAY OF MY GODDAMN LIFE. So if you, or anyone else, wants to get the job, I'm happy to pay lots of money to anyone who can do better of what I'm doing now. I have no doubt that it's defenetly possible BUT when you will get to know all the inside aspects of my business probably....and I say probably...you will change your attitude. But what matters to me is to offer the best possible product and the best possible service to the bigger number of customers.
If you think you can get results, you got a job.

I remember when my friends were telling me that I would never date a centerfold.
:D:D:D:D:DDamn if I proved them wrong :D:D:D
But I just got lucky that time......

gnite everybody, I'm in Cincinnati and I'm working at Doug Hawley's tomorrow.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dated a centerfold once....

damn staple left a scar.........

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome!

Marco... can you give Mr. Kobayashi a call for me and ask him how he would slow down a satsuki. :D That would win you points like nothing in the world...lol

Sadly I won't be at Rochester this year... another time I hope... I just have too many bonsai things I am doing over here this year that have claimed my vacations. Though I'll certainly be there in spirit and tree... ;) It will certainly be interesting to hear your thoughts on the show. Be kind... it isn't kokufu-ten..... yet. :cool: (Don't worry... I know it's a long way off... but you aren't the only one to believe in impossible dreams.)

I have no doubt there will be an abundence of NBWs happy to show you a good time. I hope you'll keep us posted on the "tour".

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom