Are you a Parrot?

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As the Japanese say, a "facehugger" nebari.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 197852

Jonas has good documentation...I believe I posted here on the forum, a link to Bonsai Tonight's blog on it. Even Adair has one of his exposed root pines. You crack me up Al...what a dry sense of humor.
More parroting....what is going on here. Does anyone do anything here?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
More parroting....what is going on here. Does anyone do anything here?
Nope...just parrot. One would think...with all this parroting they would at least DO a project.

Oh wait...I believe for some reason 10 years plays in my mind for some strange reason. ? ... Like you said...we just don't do a darn thing other than parrot.

"10 years is a lazy mans project." ~Cadillactaste

Sure hope your around Al...to see my lazy mans project. That is all. (Mic drop)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope...just parrot. One would think...with all this parroting they would at least DO a project.

Oh wait...I believe for some reason 10 years plays in my mind for some strange reason. ? ... Like you said...we just don't do a darn thing other than parrot.

"10 years is a lazy mans project." ~Cadillactaste

Sure hope your around Al...to see my lazy mans project. That is all. (Mic drop)
With luck I'll be gone. Hope to see how the wifes doing some day.....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have no idea how much I miss my wife
Can't imagine...but I know one who happily married a few years after he lost his wife. His wife will always be his love...but he loves his current wife and they are happy. It's what his late wife would have wished for. Anniversaries of her passing and tragic milestones along that rough road has to be hard. Even with your fiancee by your side. You still have to find time for grief. It's only healthy to do so. Your late wife was one spunky lady. It's only natural to miss her.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke, using your logic, every Preacher, Clergyman, and Minister must be a parrot. None of them actually did any of the things Jesus did! But they tell the stories about him.

More on topic: maybe you consider what I do as parroting. I don’t care. I do put into practice the things I learn at Boon’s. Boon, does not say he made any of the techniques up. He learned them others. At an intensive, we watch videos on bonsai, study Kokofu books, and magazine articles. Some are Japanese language, some are from International Bonsai translations. Many different authors. Some come from old Bonsai Today magazine articles.

When I went to college, it seems I remember reading textbooks that were not written by my professors. I guess they were parroting, too!

You mention how you miss your wife. Think about how she would feel about your recent behavior.

If you are annoyed that I repeat the same advice, “parroting”, that’s too bad. I am consistent with what I believe to be the best way to practice bonsai.

I have also found that many forum members do not read the archives. They just jump in and start asking questions. So, that’s why you might see me appear to repeat myself.

I, like yourself, limit my topics to those I’m familiar with. I don’t comment on tropicals, nor on most deciduous threads. I do have a couple tridents and Zelkova, so I will contribute what I know about them. I don’t post on the Mugo Train, nor on your Backyard thread.

I also don’t go out of my way to bash your posts. In fact, if I do find something you’ve posted that I agree with, I will give it a “like”. I hold no personal grudge against you, even though you have said some pretty insulting things about me, my teacher, my friends, and others I respect in the bonsai community.

Now, if my posts so offend you, please, put me on ignore. Most of my stuff is about pines, anyway. You wouldn’t be interested!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I do but I don’t smoke. Its evident in your recent demeanor here. Try and remember how many forum members you have never met offered words of support and have sent thoughts and prayers your way, including those you take subtle jabs at. I know It doesn’t do much to stop the hurt but this community did and still does care about you. We’ve never met but I do think about what you went through. Often. I’m sure it still feels like an impossibility but I hope in time you find true peace and happiness again.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am consistent with what I believe to be the best way to practice bonsai.

Truer words were never spoken...I rest my case....Thanks for playing

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am guilty of parroting some stuff around here.
Mostly things that are adviced my others to me wich i tried out and found working for me tough !
And also i do have posted quite allot of tree's and projects in the past two years i am on bnut

Smoke i dont believe you ever responded to any of my threads with probably in your eyes not so good material....
I do read your comments and often think they are a tad harsh but als i see the intention you have by posting them.
Just recently i had to think of you and laughed a bit you said somewere we should pay les attention to the internet and more to our tree's and that you know you are taking the hobby serious when you go outside work some tree's with a pruner and a flashlight in hand because its middle of the night and you already put off the shorts
When i had my midnight pruning session i now know what you ment!

So even if your comments arent always "kind words" they do make me realy think about some things even if the comments in arnt about my tree's
thnx for that the way you nag about certain things remind me of my passed away grandpa and my guess just like him hard from the outside but soft on the inside ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

We love you Smoke.

Who else regularly posted such "in-love" pictures with their siggy-o?
None!

You are an asshole. Pretty easy to tell those smiles were most genuine. Proving your Fucking lovey-doveyness was quite real.
It is what I envy you most for.

We do know how much you miss her, and even if its only half that we truly know, it still reads all over this site, if in it's subtle Smoke Screened way, like a Sorce post.;)
(For me it reads a Pre-k book)

When it Comes to Nuts...
You are like your Wax Job, to look clean in that thong...
Brazilian...

Hard to Crack.....

So what kind of shit do we have to hit you with....

So YOU realize how much you miss her.

Been about 6 minutes in tears right now...

Don't know what else to say.

I've had my own recent shit to mourn and these tears are not for that.
I miss her too.
I miss the greatest inspiration you ever provided to this community which is...
Being a Good Husband!
Cuz it makes for good kids...

And who the fuck else is going to take care of our trees?

Truth truth....

You can't parrot this.

My approach to Bonsai is about 26% greater due to your tree posts. (Since you suck at Bonsai! Lol)

My enjoyment of Bonsai is about 80% greater due to your personal posts.

You see I found out the Sorceress has an emotional IQ of 0 or less....due to a fucked up childhood.
I was raised with a High emotional IQ, so I look for different things than she offers...

We are basically completely opposite....so we go thru some shit...

But with this prominent goal in my mind...
To be as happy as y'all at the Rock. With them Fuckin steaks...enjoying life, and each other, together, till the very end....
Well....that's what we sign up for isn't it?

With that goal in my mind, that I really only received HERE from you regularly....
My LIFE is getting better...so my peace is greater....so I can enjoy my trees more!

Just yesterday, my neighbor friend who is back from Cali...
After talking about how he just lost 5 people in his life in 5 weeks....2 to suicide...
Said.."I'll let you go in and unwind"
Me..."I gotta water some things and check for bugs"
Him.."oh..this is how you unwind"

Yes...yes it is!

Anyway...thanks for that crosstraining!

I don't believe in loss...or don't dwell on it.
The other day I told someone..
Grieve the loss fast to realize what you gain.

What we gain is these People we love with us closer, always, and forever.

If you believe, like I do , that the power of their star lives on amd truly stays with us...ok..

If not...there is still this very real thing that love gives us...

Which is the ability to recall peices of our loved ones "person" to apply to different situations in our lives.

I pay attention to all the things I do in the spirit of my grandmother, and she lives on in me surely!

I am many people.

You are Your love too.
We Love you Both!
Go to the Rock.
Keep the Relationship Healthy.
She Will Be There!

Sorce

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I’m new here and new to Bonsai. I have much to learn, and have no problem with the Parrots. The more info the better, but the Sorce should always be considered. I love drinking from a fire hose. My issue is with the Peacocks , always wanted to show their feathers. As an outsider and newbie the most put offing thing is that some bonsai enthusiasts come off as a bit pompous. They tell you want is , and what is not bonsai. They make comments like , “I’d never show that picture on the forum” . “That branch can never go there”. The expert, the judge. The traditionalist with no flexibility. Those peacock feathers are beautiful. But after awhile, they all look the same.

In the end maybe we all start out as hachlings, transition to parrots and end up as peacocks?

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I’m new here and new to Bonsai. I have much to learn, and have no problem with the Parrots. The more info the better, but the Sorce should always be considered. I love drinking from a fire hose. My issue is with the Peacocks , always wanted to show their feathers. As an outsider and newbie the most put offing thing is that some bonsai enthusiasts come off as a bit pompous. They tell you want is , and what is not bonsai. They make comments like , “I’d never show that picture on the forum” . “That branch can never go there”. The expert, the judge. The traditionalist with no flexibility. Those peacock feathers are beautiful. But after awhile, they all look the same.

In the end maybe we all start out as hachlings, transition to parrots and end up as peacocks?
In the end maybe we all start out as hachlings, transition to parrots and end up as peacocks
Not all.
Some of us started when there was nobody to parrot.
We had to learn everything for ourselves.
Which brings us to what Al's trying to get at.
Parroting what people hear without ever having done actual work on a tree they're spouting off about.
I know if a sentence starts out with "this pro said do this" or this pro says" we don't do that anymore" I tune the poster out. If I want to hear Ryan Kneels or Boons or Walter Palls or anybody else take on bonsai I will go to their site or cough up money for their opinion.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, using your logic, every Preacher, Clergyman, and Minister must be a parrot. None of them actually did any of the things Jesus did! But they tell the stories about him.
They are the worst parrots.
Because all they have are stories.
At least what you repeat can be verified.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know if a sentence starts out with "this pro said do this" or this pro says" we don't do that anymore" I tune the poster out. If I want to hear Ryan Kneels or Boons or Walter Palls or anybody else take on bonsai I will go to their site or cough up money for their opinion.
Interesting, because I start to tune out posters when they repeatedly mock other posters and professionals (did you come up with "Ryan Kneel" all on your own? You must be very proud). I don't get it...these guys have devoted their lives to bonsai, spent 6 years on average in an apprenticeship where they worked on more high quality trees than you'll ever see in your life, some (Ryan "Kneel") have horticulture degrees behind them. So what exactly is your problem? People here should be glad that members of Bonsai Mirai (or students of Boon or any other professional) are willing to share things they've paid to learn.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Interesting, because I start to tune out posters when they repeatedly mock other posters and professionals (did you come up with "Ryan Kneel" all on your own? You must be very proud). I don't get it...these guys have devoted their lives to bonsai, spent 6 years on average in an apprenticeship where they worked on more high quality trees than you'll ever see in your life, some (Ryan "Kneel") have horticulture degrees behind them. So what exactly is your problem? People here should be glad that members of Bonsai Mirai (or students of Boon or any other professional) are willing to share things they've paid to learn.

I feel you are missing the distinction between hearing it from the horses mouth and hearing it repeated from someone that hasn’t tried doing *it*.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel you are missing the distinction between hearing it from the horses mouth and hearing it repeated from someone that hasn’t tried doing *it*.
No, I don't think so.

Here's a situation, what would you do (this exact thing came up on the forum a few years ago). Someone posts a question about how to lower a very thick/heavy branch on a pine tree. No one answers. I happen to have been at a demonstration recently where Bill Valavanis showed how to do that exact thing on a pine tree (by cutting into the branch collar at an angle, from above, and using a guy wire to pull the branch down). I've never done it myself but I've just seen, up close and personal, from a very experienced professional, how it is done. Should I not respond to the question just because I haven't physically done such a technique myself?

When I give advice in these kinds of situations, I always state whether I've done it myself...and if not, where I saw it done or described. Perhaps that is the issue here? That people present their information without the caveat that they've never done it? If that's what people are objecting to, I can agree to a point.

Top Bottom