Are Your Roots Showing?: Propagation from root cuttings

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Okay everyone,

Smoke, as always, did a great job on the elm root cutting tutorial. My mind is totally fixated on the possibilities! So I think it would be very useful to compile a comprehensive list of the species that do well this way and special treatment needed for each. So to kick things off here are a few that I have done over the years:

Washington Hawthorn - Crataegus phaenopyrum
Crape Myrtle - Lagerstroemia
Prairie Fire Crab - Malus x 'Prairifire'
Sargent Crab - Malus sargentii

When we are all done I will compile the list and submit it as a resource.

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do ficus roots works also? I have 3 large roots after some pruning, that are 1 to 2 inches in diameter. I potted them with about 2 inches protruding above the soil line. Hoping to enlarge my ficus benjamina collection. ???

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've cut off some roots only from the trunks and let them in the pots with trees, they were not going with desired design (too thick, too high...) and watched them if they sprout. Recieved new plants from species:

Malus x purpurea
Ulmus carpinifolia
Morus alba...

...negative in case of oaks, hornbeams and maples generally.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
CM and jap Quince grow like weeds off the roots... I have taken 3-5 gallon nursery cans, chopped the bottom half off, dropped it on a pile of dirt and now have forests of both growing in the same bed.

Any sort of Elm seems capable of popping off the roots.

I wish Maples would do it too!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In spite of what I had read, I tried root-cuttings from different kinds of maples: none of them ever worked.

Punus, Malus, Pyrus are on the contrary very easy to propagate with this method: I had success with Prunus roots as thick as my thumb. Someone told me it's also possible with ginkgo, but I've never tried it myself.

And Zelkova and Liquidambar are OK too.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chuckle, Sorce,

not maples, hackberrys. I think Al was talking about them and roots for new plants.
I sent in an image.
But thanks for the vote of confidence.
New Home as of yet ? [ Puerto Rico ? Jamaica ? Maybe Trinidad as an Apiarist ? ]
Good Day
Anthony

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
I cut the tap root of of all my redwoods when I got them in the spring one grew a branch but it didn't servive summer. Not sure it that could happen again thou only 1 took out of 3 and 0 servived

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success growing Chinese quince from root cuttings? Is it possible? Thanks!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Has anyone had any success growing Chinese quince from root cuttings? Is it possible? Thanks!
My "internet knowledge" says it very likely would work, but I have no hands on experience with Chinese Quine, it happens to be a species I am not particularly fond of. I do love Chaenomeles, and that is the problem. To me a Chinese quince never flowers as nicely as any of the Chaenomeles.

Most species in the larger plant family that includes apples, Malus etc, likely have at least some potential to sprout from root cuttings.

In an entirely different direction, I got 5 or 6 plants from root cuttings of Bittersweet Vine. Celastrus, don't know if I have the North American native form, or the invasive Asian form, but it did work. Bark of roots is bright orange. It took over 2 years for the orange to tone down to the normal brown color for the bark. Thickest was about one inch.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, Leo! I mainly like Chinese Quince for it's other qualities, the flowers would be nice too. During a repot, I removed some roots and just buried them with my quince. Will let yall know if I have any success.

Top Bottom