Arilayering Japanese Maple - FAILED

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I tried airlayering a small JM branch. I put the sphagnum around the cut and wraped it with plastic foil. The branch, as seen on the picture, died or at least all the leaves dried out.

What went wrong?

2016-07-12 12.54.12.jpg

2016-07-12 12.54.57.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I suspect you removed too much of the wood beneath the bark, which supports the foliage while new roots formed. That branch is dead, so removing the wrap and moss to examine the layer site would be helpful to confirm my suspicions.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
That is possible, since when I was making the airlayer I had a feeling that I can't go too deep when removing layers of bark, so I removed everything up to the point when only the realy hard wood remained.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
slide_33.jpg

You have to interrupt the phloem, which is where the sugars go down from leaves to roots. But, the cambium can become either xylem or phloem, depending on the needs of the tree.
So if you leave cambium, the phloem will regenerate. If you go to deep, and interrupt all the sapwood, the leaves will not recieve sap flow and die , which seems like your case. Sometimes, the leaves just receive enough sap to live, but it looks like autumn above the layer (I had a maple going all red, but leaves did not fall off and the branch got successfully layered).

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks @barrosinc for the picture.
I've seen all the pics and I know the theory (not all as it seems), but when it comes to being practical... :) That's not me :p

I'll open the device tomorrow if there's nothing left to lose now.. :/

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What cultivar or Japanese maple? I have a lot of success with some maples. Then there are others that I've never been successful with. I'll try again after a while. Doesn't hurt to try a few branches again.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I have no idea what cultivar it is... It's been in the garden for some time, it's not mine, it's my realtives but I doubt they know what cultivar they bought.

So here, I opened the package and took a few (not so good) pictures:

2016-07-14 13.31.52.jpg

2016-07-14 13.34.14.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unlikely that you removed too much or too little. Try a more air layers again next year and the next; review the steps before you do. If you fail after adjusting your technique, it may just be a difficult culivar.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unlikely that you removed too much or too little. Try a more air layers again next year and the next; review the steps before you do. If you fail after adjusting your technique, it may just be a difficult culivar.
I agree. I actually remove wood below the cambium with bites from my knob cutter ( essentially much more aggressive then what you did) without a problem, so I'm at a loss as to what happened here.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Hmmm.. I'm clueless now :) So this is not only the wood part left?

I have no idea why the branch died then... :confused:o_O

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks to me that the cambium below the girdle died. The symptoms
all the leaves dried out
are consistent with this. I have a 'Higasayama' that does this. I tried older and younger branches for several season and always met this same result - it is a cultivar related thing.

Your girdle making technique looks good, @klosi. Try a different cultivar, your results will very likely be better.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
OK, thanks for you're insight and kind words.
I'm just having trouble imagining that there is something under this part and that this on picture is not the wood part but xylem.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had the same problem 2 years running trying to layer a paperbark maple (acer griseum).
CW

Top Bottom