Arizona bonsai newb first post

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello Bonsai Nuts
This is my first post of hopefully many more. I have been experimenting with Bonsai for a while, however To say I am a beginner is an understatement. So far, I have been trying to learn from YouTube and other websites. I live in Phoenix, which I’m learning can be a challenging place for this hobby. I have been experimenting with Port. Afra and Bougenvilla, which I have found to be the most tolerant here in the desert. I have so many questions that it would take up too much of your time to respond, so I will start with one. I would love to work with other species, and was hoping to get recommendations on some that are good for beginners and that might be able to take our hot/dry summers. I appreciate any help you are willing to give me and I thank you for your time.
Scott
Embarrassing pics below

Attachments

• 7B85B8DA-B0C9-4100-BFDC-E9E0A7E4E9EB.jpeg
    7B85B8DA-B0C9-4100-BFDC-E9E0A7E4E9EB.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 008328FC-0AE0-47A4-ADEE-8691A2E7A30A.jpeg
    008328FC-0AE0-47A4-ADEE-8691A2E7A30A.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 1B7B6A35-D40E-4BB0-AF89-7824831BCE7C.jpeg
    1B7B6A35-D40E-4BB0-AF89-7824831BCE7C.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 4E2A78FF-6415-49A9-87B5-C92B0C4D64EC.jpeg
    4E2A78FF-6415-49A9-87B5-C92B0C4D64EC.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 54

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
On second thought those two saguro’s have some terrible reverse taper. May take a lot of work to fix that?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hello Bonsai Nuts
This is my first post of hopefully many more. I have been experimenting with Bonsai for a while, however To say I am a beginner is an understatement. So far, I have been trying to learn from YouTube and other websites. I live in Phoenix, which I’m learning can be a challenging place for this hobby. I have been experimenting with Port. Afra and Bougenvilla, which I have found to be the most tolerant here in the desert. I have so many questions that it would take up too much of your time to respond, so I will start with one. I would love to work with other species, and was hoping to get recommendations on some that are good for beginners and that might be able to take our hot/dry summers. I appreciate any help you are willing to give me and I thank you for your time.
Scott
Embarrassing pics below
I'll post later but welcome!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome @AZ Newb Glad to have another Bnutter in AZ! You are in luck....just so happens I took some pictures of forests and seki (sp?) That were critiqued at our weekly Phoenix Bonsai Society meeting last night.
20181107_194122.jpg
Boxwood
20181107_194058.jpg
Ginko
20181107_194047.jpg
Ficus
20181107_194032.jpg
Bursara (sp?l
20181107_194013.jpg
Elm

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I have had great luck so far with
Bougainvillea - do awesome like a weed
Chinese Elm - does great in my desert and you cant get any hotter than here
Boxwood - does great
CapeHoneysuckle - have a root over rock that has flowered 3 times this year in a bonsai pot
Crepe myrtle - grow in landscapes here and I have a couple I kept thriving on pots this summer

Juniper - many varieties do well here in full sun also
Ficus - I have Ficus Benjamin and Indian Laurel and both are growing like weeds.
Cork Oak (Quercus suber) - Have several growing from acorn. they are used as trees in most parking lots here and it gets really hot on the black asphalt(130 degree +)
I also have a couple olive trees growing ok in bosai pots but they are not to big so I will probably put them in the ground for a few years

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a good list from @theone420 very similar environments. Would add pomegranate and olives do great here.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE
@AZ Newb Nand @milehigh_7
Great weekend at The Dig Nursery. Our club sensei David Nygun is in town for two days of classes on Saturday and Sunday. He is very well known and considered to be a master of juniper. The classes are full, however, you can go and be a silent observer. I gurantee it will be worth your time. I will be taking two junipers. You will see a variety of material. And get to know some PBS members. Classes are 8-11 and 1-4 both days.

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I had no idea that some of those species could take our desert heat!

I have had great luck so far with
Bougainvillea - do awesome like a weed
Chinese Elm - does great in my desert and you cant get any hotter than here
Boxwood - does great
CapeHoneysuckle - have a root over rock that has flowered 3 times this year in a bonsai pot
Crepe myrtle - grow in landscapes here and I have a couple I kept thriving on pots this summer

Juniper - many varieties do well here in full sun also
Ficus - I have Ficus Benjamin and Indian Laurel and both are growing like weeds.
Cork Oak (Quercus suber) - Have several growing from acorn. they are used as trees in most parking lots here and it gets really hot on the black asphalt(130 degree +)
I also have a couple olive trees growing ok in bosai pots but they are not to big so I will probably put them in the ground for a few years

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
@AZbonsai-
Thanks so much for your reply. I actually almost went to that meeting with the forests. I’m sorry I didn’t make it. Those pics are fantastic. I am going to try and make it to the class this weekend. Hopefully I can say hello to you and pick your brain a bit if you aren’t busy.
Thanks again for your kind replies.
Scott

QUOTE="AZbonsai, post: 605365, member: 20626"]That is a good list from @theone420 very similar environments. Would add pomegranate and olives do great here.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE
@AZ Newb Nand @milehigh_7
Great weekend at The Dig Nursery. Our club sensei David Nygun is in town for two days of classes on Saturday and Sunday. He is very well known and considered to be a master of juniper. The classes are full, however, you can go and be a silent observer. I gurantee it will be worth your time. I will be taking two junipers. You will see a variety of material. And get to know some PBS members. Classes are 8-11 and 1-4 both days.[/QUOTE]

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully I can say hello to you and pick your brain a bit if you aren’t busy.
That would be great! I will be at the morning and afternoon classes on Saturday.

Top Bottom