Arlithrien's 2020-2025 Azalea contest entry

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's my entry for the 5 year Azalea contest. This shrub was planted in the backyard by in-laws years ago. Planted in a terrible spot that never got direct sunlight, which is probably why it's so lanky. There are others but this one had significantly smaller leaves.

20201209_111117.jpg

This is also the plant I am using as a Guinea pig for testing shredded pine cone as a soil component. The mix it's in is 3/1/1 pumice, Turface, shredded pine cone.

20201209_111109.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A small update. I didn't have access to this plant earlier in the year due to life circumstances and it suffered from a small drought. It seems to have shrugged it off and is doing well now.
20210831_115702.jpg
My plan is to let it continue to recover this year and next spring I will look at branch reduction.

Screenshot_20210901-130129_Gallery.jpg
Looking closely, it seems we have two plants, both with reverse tapers. Some interesting surface root activity going on, I'm thinking of letting those gain size and bring more character to the base.

Any suggestions on styling are welcome.

Top Bottom