Around what low temputure's should maples be protected

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
"I just moved from Florida last summer so it was cold to me."
:D

We had a "Carolina winter" here. Two years before it was "Snowmageddon" FIVE FEET of snow. Didn't see my trees til April...

I'd rather have a really cold winter than a tepid one. The warmer temps have played havoc with my overwintering system. We had 90 degree days in March, fer cryin out loud. Everything was in full leaf by early April.

If this wimpy winter stuff keeps up, get used to hauling trees inside and outside between March and May...
We have a "Carolina Winter" every year here!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tridents may be LEAST cold Hardy of any Maple... I left all mine outdoors last winter- we had a couple nights down into the low teens- CONSECUTIVE nights/ OK, maybe MID-teens... and all but two were fine. Two came out real slow and never looked quite right this year, I assume due to some cold damage to the roots. Most the rest were fine. JM, Amur... RED Maples... All laugh at the winters we get here.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
My "green maple" I think its a kashima lost a great deal of its leaves in October due to a sudden heat spike when I wasn't available to give it extra water. The tree recovered fine but it sent out a late flush of growth which leaves are currently still present in a vibrant green color. I'm concerned because maples usually should be entering dormancy at this time. Fortunately I have mild winters here with no worry with softer growth freezing off but will this extra late flush hurt my tree or affect the following growing season?

47mercury

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Zone 7, 8. Often below freezing at night thru the winter. occasional snow.
I dig all my trees into the ground up to the pot rim around the end of October. Everything including maples, azaleas winter fine this way. If you leave the pots exposed, the soil in the pots will drop in temperature with the air temperature. With them in the ground, the pot soil is at the ground temperature. It takes many days of below freezing weather before the ground freezes.

Top Bottom