As a newbie...what grade of wire should I start off ordering?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With my Bougainvillea I need to wire my drain hole with mesh and wire staples for the new pot...what grade or thickness would one use for that task?

And I have also a small juniper...what size wire should I purchase to start working on it? Once I decide what I wish to accomplish there...

Really think I'm going with aluminum wire...for my indecisive ways...and maybe needing to bend twice or so...before satisfied.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like 1.5mm aluminum for wiring in mesh and for basic things. The 1mm seems to not have enough hold.

For a small Juniper you will need probably 2.5mm- 1mm aluminum

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like 1.5mm aluminum for wiring in mesh and for basic things. The 1mm seems to not have enough hold.

For a small Juniper you will need probably 2.5mm- 1mm aluminum

Thanks so much! Wish to get this ordered...so I can pot the tree and possibly tinker with the juniper.:eek:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the link! As well as the suggestion...

Now...how much does 100 gram rolls take a person? (Approximately to wire a drain hole and stabilize the tree) to ensure I allow myself enough toido the job I need to do first.
It really depends on how many trees you have and how big they are.

From an eBay listing (I snagged) for length reference per roll.
100G Roll of Bonsai Wire

Select the size you want from the available diameters. Each rolls weighs 100G

1.0mm - (Approx 47 meters) Suitable for fine branch re-alignment and styling.

1.5mm - (Approx 21 meters) Suitable for fine branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller trees into their pots when repotting

2.0mm - (Appox 12 meters) Suitable for small to medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller and medium trees

2.5mm - (Approx 7.5 meters) Suitable for small to medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller and medium trees into their pots after repotting

3.0mm - (Approx 5.5 meters) Suitable for medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium trees into their bonsai pots

3.5mm - (Approx 4 meters) Suitable for medium and secondary branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium to large trees when repotting bonsai trees

4.0mm - (Approx 3 meters) Suitable for medium to large and secondary branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium to large trees

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It really depends on how many trees you have and how big they are.

From an eBay listing (I snagged) for length reference per roll.
100G Roll of Bonsai Wire

Select the size you want from the available diameters. Each rolls weighs 100G

1.0mm - (Approx 47 meters) Suitable for fine branch re-alignment and styling.

1.5mm - (Approx 21 meters) Suitable for fine branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller trees into their pots when repotting

2.0mm - (Appox 12 meters) Suitable for small to medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller and medium trees

2.5mm - (Approx 7.5 meters) Suitable for small to medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing smaller and medium trees into their pots after repotting

3.0mm - (Approx 5.5 meters) Suitable for medium branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium trees into their bonsai pots

3.5mm - (Approx 4 meters) Suitable for medium and secondary branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium to large trees when repotting bonsai trees

4.0mm - (Approx 3 meters) Suitable for medium to large and secondary branch re-alignment, styling and securing medium to large trees

Both trees are very small...a Shohin and not sure what the other is classified as...no bigger than a Shohin that is for certain. Just needed a visual of how long of wire I was purchasing. Thanks that scale chart as to how long is very handy!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Order in cart...they don't offer Roth tools...nor do I see screen for drain holes. Guess I'll order that online elsewhere.

Going to have to save that chart on wire...for a reference point. Good stuff there! Oh wait...I found it...but found cute "circle ones" on EBay...that were plastic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Order in cart...they don't offer Roth tools...nor do I see screen for drain holes. Guess I'll order that online elsewhere.

Going to have to save that chart on wire...for a reference point. Good stuff there! Oh wait...I found it...but found cute "circle ones" on EBay...that were plastic.
Just because I am nice... :)
I will let you in on a secret.
At the craft and fabric stores, they sell plastic screen
to do knitting with, usually these are used to produce
interesting images in yarn, of cats or dogs playing poker...

They work great for screens for your pot, you can
cut them to what ever size you need, and a 6 x 12 inch
size usually runs about 50 cents...

However, one with a cat or dog playing poker, might cost
a tad bit more...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just because I am nice... :)
I will let you in on a secret.
At the craft and fabric stores, they sell plastic screen
to do knitting with, usually these are used to produce
interesting images in yarn, of cats or dogs playing poker...

They work great for screens for your pot, you can
cut them to what ever size you need, and a 6 x 12 inch
size usually runs about 50 cents...

However, one with a cat or dog playing poker, might cost
a tad bit more...

Actually that was suggested...in my post on my pot. But...I loved the uniformed circle...how nice it would look..just realized that it will be covered over in soil...:rolleyes:...not one of my brighter moments...lol I'll check the craft store down here...but...typically if 5&10 doesn't have it...I have over an hour to drive to a store that does. Which makes online shopping much easier.

That it is covered in dirt...I'll check the craft store...I have to go there tomorrow actually. :D thanks for pulling my head out of the clouds.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think what he is referring to is called needlepoint canvas- it works. As for wire- if you're going to get more trees than I suggest all sizes from 1.5 up 4.0 or even 5.0 if you're working on bigger trees. I also recommend aluminum for beginners and learning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think what he is referring to is called needlepoint canvas- it works. As for wire- if you're going to get more trees than I suggest all sizes from 1.5 up 4.0 or even 5.0 if you're working on bigger trees. I also recommend aluminum for beginners and learning.

Thanks, I couldn't remember what they were called...
:)

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I just started about a year ago and got about every size in aluminum wire and then the awakening was when I used copper for first time. Different feel results are night and day for me. I did buy big rolls of aluminum and wasted them practicing on some bushes to get better control and placement but almost wished I had just learned on copper as it is different animal putting on.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wish to thank everyone for their help and advice. Ordered and paid for 2 day shipping. So hopefully it arrives around the time my soil does...and I can get this project done!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely looks wrong. The website says 3.5 holes per linear inch, which doesn't look at all like what you got.

The needlepoint canvas (or whatever it is called) can be found at Joann's fabric stores, and usually at WalMart as well. If you have those nearby, check them out. Note, to me even the 3.5 holes per inch sounds a little large but I've never seen their mesh.

Chris

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely looks wrong. The website says 3.5 holes per linear inch, which doesn't look at all like what you got.

The needlepoint canvas (or whatever it is called) can be found at Joann's fabric stores, and usually at WalMart as well. If you have those nearby, check them out. Note, to me even the 3.5 holes per inch sounds a little large but I've never seen their mesh.

Chris

The store in town...was going to see about ordering me in a few sheets. I'll check there this week. If not...I'll head to the town a little over an hour away...that surely has them. I wish to pot this tree...but these holes seem so large. The photo on the link looks NOTHING like what I received. :confused:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a long drive! You can also find it on amazon and ebay. Search for something like "darice plastic canvas"...here is the Joann's website: http://www.joann.com/needle-arts/cross-stitch/plastic-canvas/
There are different mesh sizes - I think size 7 mesh (7 holes per inch) is good, I can check what I have tomorrow if you would like. If you really need to get something potted immediately, you can use window screen.

Chris

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just get some super glue or model glue and over lap the holes on those. Should work fine if you don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back.

Top Bottom