As go the roots, so goes the tree.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I probably should have posted this under my collection of "Resources" tutorials, but here it is anyway.

It occurs to me, while out for a walk this evening, that some folks here might find my experience with a somewhat “off-the-beaten-path” approach to the use of fertilizers and supplements to be perhaps useful or at least interesting.

I’ve certainly had my share of trees die on me over the years, but I think it has been many fewer than others would have had when working largely with Yamadori, Yard-a dori, and Nursery-a-dori beginning material, where the roots had been significantly disturbed in the beginning of my care of them.

This impressed me early on with the importance of attention to the roots, concluding that if a tree’s root were happy and vibrant, the foliage (and the flowers and fruits - about which I usually care little) would be happy and vibrant as well.

My methods have held up with good results in both my beloved Pacific Northwest conifers, as well as in my tropicals during the year I spent in the Philippines.

My approach is simple in its conception: Take care of the tree’s roots, and the tree will take care of the rest.

This naturally starts with good soil and good drainage, and this topic has most probably been extensively fought over and argued into viciously-held warring camps on the site, so I’ll not go into that very much.

But my additional input into my approach, then, is to fertilize and supplement with the roots in mind primarily. I use kelp emulsion, with relatively high potassium compared to nitrogen, and I don’t think I have ever - even once - given more than a cursory nod to whatever the phosphorous was.

I augment this with a humate/humeric acid supplement. If you don’t know the benefits of this stuff, an on-line search would certainly persuade you.

B-Vitamin root-stimulating formulas are sometimes helpful in a difficult/“iffy” transplant, and the controversial - though not to me - Super-thrive was the standard in the old days before a new company took it over and ruined the formula I hear. But there are lots of substitutes these days it seems.

And finally, and perhaps of equal importance, I like to use the “Soluble Root Growth Enhancer” put out by the Down To Earth company. It also contains some humic acids, but its main effect is due to two types of fungal spores that colonize roots, and by doing so, greatly increase the absorptive surface of the root system, to improve nutrient and water uptake. You can see these white fungal colonizers when you dig around in among the roots, and it’s a beautiful and promising site to behold, and one that guarantees the tree’s health.

Hopes this helps some of you still struggling with the basics of keeping your trees alive and robustly healthy.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Always a good reminder and well said. That 1 vote to add it as a resource!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you found alot of differences in response to this regimen among various tree species? Deciduous/ evergreen, etc.? Do some types accept it better than others?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you found alot of differences in response to this regimen among various tree species? Deciduous/ evergreen, etc.? Do some types accept it better than others?

It seems - theoretically and practically - to be the same for all my trees, from my Pacific North-Wet conifers and the fewer deciduous I've grown here, to the year spent with tropicals in the Philippines. Take care of the roots, and they will take care of the rest.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To say a bit more: the one and only horticultural difference between a bonsai and a tree in the ground is that the roots are confined in a small pot. Bonsai is all about that confinement of the roots. It is not natural, and needs to be compensated for.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AS I said above, the same for Pacific Northwest conifers and deciduous trees grown here, as well as for numerous tropical species grown over the course of a year in the Philippines. I couldn't get the mycorrhizal fungi spores in the Philippines, but everything was the same.

Top Bottom