Ash #4

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree was planted into akadama by the guy I got it from. One cannot jsut shake off old akadam that is like cement. I had to wash it off, which is what I hate to do.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Very impressive tree- how will you protect it from Ash Dieback Hymenoscyphus fraxineus?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Life goal: Make bonsai with sawzall

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree was planted into akadama by the guy I got it from. One cannot jsut shake off old akadam that is like cement. I had to wash it off, which is what I hate to do.

Hi, could you please comment about leaving the 'core' root ball undisturbed on old trees during reporting? A few well known professionals mentioned while talking about akadama!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi, could you please comment about leaving the 'core' root ball undisturbed on old trees during reporting? A few well known professionals mentioned while talking about akadama!

Well, what is says "leave the core root ball undisturbed as far as possible." I try to avoid repotting as far as possible and if I have to do as little as possible. I know very well that this is unorthodox.
Only by long term results one can tell whether a mehtod is valid. I have these results.
In this case I had to do a ral lot and hated it. It is difficult though to kill an ash when repotting. They are related with olives. On olives you can, if absolutely necessary, cut off ALL roots and they will probalbly come back.

Top Bottom