Ash Leaf Spirea, Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem'

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone had experience with the "Sem". I dug one out of our garden as it was sending too many runners out and starting to overpower the plants in the bed. I put it into a large garden container. It has formed a multi stemmed shrub. But it is noted for it's amazing autumn colour. The leaves are Compound opposite seratted and pinnate (very much like an ash trees leaves). The leaves are fairy small. Just wondering if anyone has had success with it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Show us the goods. This ain't no radio show.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone had experience with the "Sem". I dug one out of our garden as it was sending too many runners out and starting to overpower the plants in the bed. I put it into a large garden container. It has formed a multi stemmed shrub. But it is noted for it's amazing autumn colour. The leaves are Compound opposite seratted and pinnate (very much like an ash trees leaves). The leaves are fairy small. Just wondering if anyone has had success with it.
Sounds like you are having some level of success from your description. Would love to see some picts.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ya got the makin's of a clump. Make a "crown" of trunks. Choose trunks that lean outward in good relation to each other and have the best prospects for developing a united canopy. You need an odd number that is not easily counted with the eye.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ya got the makin's of a clump. Make a "crown" of trunks. Choose trunks that lean outward in good relation to each other and have the best prospects for developing a united canopy. You need an odd number that is not easily counted with the eye.
I was thinking the same thing. Chop it back to 5 or 7 trunks to about 1 third of the final height. To create a slight off centre triangle. I Just haven't seen this species as a bonsai before, so wondering if it needs special requirments. I have also looked for the longevity as if they only live a few years it might not be worth it

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, now I remember this plant. It was much more common it seems 40 - 50 years ago. It was commonly called false spirea. I think your cultivar is a non invasive dwarf.
I love tiny compound leaves and I remember looking for this unsuccessfully some years ago. I will have to look again.
Thanks.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got this from a garden centre about four years ago. They seem pretty common here. I have found a thread on this site with one but it was a very small "tree".

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this from a garden centre about four years ago. They seem pretty common here. I have found a thread on this site with one but it was a very small "tree".
When you cut it back you should try some hardwood cuttings.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good Idea @penumbra. It should work as it buds as profusely as an Elm.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Probably going to sucker a lot like shrub willows, but will be OK if you check it and clean it up daily...

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Probably going to sucker a lot like shrub willows, but will be OK if you check it and clean it up daily...
That why it got taken out the bed. Suckers like an octopus! should be able to wrestle it under control in a pot!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's probably why they're short-lived. People murder them.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update:
It's survived it's planting into a bulb basket. Chopped the really straight branches and been left with 5 trunks. I will let it back bud then chop above the best ones. I envision about another third of height to be removed from the trunks. This is it so far.

IMG_2631.jpg

SerSwanky

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update:
It's survived it's planting into a bulb basket. Chopped the really straight branches and been left with 5 trunks. I will let it back bud then chop above the best ones. I envision about another third of height to be removed from the trunks. This is it so far.

View attachment 368108

@Graft Any update on this? I found this shrub at Walmart and absolutely fell in love with the color of leaves. I found almost zero search results on people using this shrub for bonsai when I looked it up so I imagine it doesn't make for a good one but it does look pretty awesome. I’ll probably get it regardless and just do it for fun and see how it goes. How is yours coming along?

1650644611472.jpeg

Top Bottom