Ash tree propagation question

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have an Ash tree that I would like to propagate. I am new to propagation ( other than growing from seed) I have 5 Japanese maples that I am in the process of air-layering...but the success of that will not be determined for about another month.

So here is the question...This Ash is "suckering" at the base (pics attached) . The tissue is green (not lignified wood).
I am assuming a "cutting" would be the method? Could someone be kind enough to walk me through the process for this particular tree as illustrated?

Thank you
PXHgMNTTQ%mzv4MDXzLFUQ.jpgIfMehRtIQ%exRnKMQjBZGg.jpgPXHgMNTTQ%mzv4MDXzLFUQ.jpgIfMehRtIQ%exRnKMQjBZGg.jpg

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have access to anything else?
...because a rosemary sprig would have more potential than a sucker from a dying ash tree. Heck, a seedling from that tree would be easier and give you closer internodes.

I'm not trying to discourage propegation. As someone who has been there, I'm just encouraging you to be choosy about the species/cultivars you invest in.

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have access to anything else?
...because a rosemary sprig would have more potential than a sucker from a dying ash tree. Heck, a seedling from that tree would be easier and give you closer internodes.

I'm not trying to discourage propegation. As someone who has been there, I'm just encouraging you to be choosy about the species/cultivars you invest in.
That's not really a constructive or helpful answer.

I have access to pretty much whatever I choose to have access to. It's not about money or bonsai potential, it's propagation question.

Never mind, you all can go back to discussing important things, like "how much money is Bjorn worth", or rather or not some toxic asshole is leaving the forum or not.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm sure someone will chime in with a much larger knowledge base on Ash trees...
Did you check if the sucker has any roots? If it does you can cut below the roots and replant.
If not I would think a ground layer would work best... possibly a tourniquet? I have done with Elms never an Ash.
Good luck!

Gaijin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm sure someone will chime in with a much larger knowledge base on Ash trees...
Did you check if the sucker has any roots? If it does you can cut below the roots and replant.
If not I would think a ground layer would work best... possibly a tourniquet? I have done with Elms never an Ash.
Good luck!
I'll inspect it a bit closer. I don't believe it has roots...it's more or less coming off the trunk. I hadn't thought of ground layering, as I said, I'm new to propagating. I get what ground layering is, and understand basic concepts, I just haven't tried any propagation methods other than the air layering of maples I am attempting. I may hit you back with a further question or two after I inspect it closer. Thanks for the constructive reply.

Top Bottom