Ash.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've posted this before somewhere but can't find it anywhere.
Anyway, here is an update on it's progress....(the black tie is protecting a front branch graft from being knocked off)

P1120274.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Powerful tree ,for sure!
The rootbase,EXCELLENT bark and the branch placement seem to be very well set up to make an amazing canopy.
The movement in the canopy across to the right is real nice.
Great work.
How long have you had it?
Is it a graft onto the trunk?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Powerful tree ,for sure!
The rootbase,EXCELLENT bark and the branch placement seem to be very well set up to make an amazing canopy.
The movement in the canopy across to the right is real nice.
Great work.
How long have you had it?
Is it a graft onto the trunk?
I've had it about 30 years or a bit more. It started as a weed growing in my propagating bed. It's not grafted - apart from the small front branch. It has taken me a long time to get the canopy doing what I wanted it to. I came close to throwing it out once...real close! From now on further development will be very easy. This is the stage where you can really start to enjoy the trees because all the logistics have been sorted out... or most of them...

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've had it about 30 years or a bit more. It started as a weed growing in my propagating bed. It's not grafted - apart from the small front branch. It has taken me a long time to get the canopy doing what I wanted it to. I came close to throwing it out once...real close! From now on further development will be very easy. This is the stage where you can really start to enjoy the trees because all the logistics have been sorted out... or most of them...

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Probably the best example of an Ash I've seen. Kudos to you for persevering with this variety so long - many, myself included, would have moved on to something more amenable to becoming a bonsai by now. Says a lot about your determination.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have Fraxinus americana, white ash, growing all over here. I've never seen bark like this, even on very mature trees. You've grown a very nice bonsai.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree. I do not think it is excelsior as well, bark seems to be too rough.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Probably the best example of an Ash I've seen. Kudos to you for persevering with this variety so long - many, myself included, would have moved on to something more amenable to becoming a bonsai by now. Says a lot about your determination.

I agree with this completely. I threw out my ashes this spring for them not being what I expected them to be. After seeing this one.. I wish I hadn't.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't have any pics of it in leaf. It looks like not much at all in summer.
I’m guessing this is due to the compound leaves? I think that feature prevents ash from being used more extensively. But the winter image of this certainly makes this worthwhile. I’m intrigued by how the apex seems to come forward such that the first branch is underneath it, if that is correct based on how well I’m interpreting depth in the photo. It’s unconventional styling but it works.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’m guessing this is due to the compound leaves?

Right. But defoliation can reduce the leaves. I've seen some that were defoliated up to 3 times a year, and the leaves reduced dramatically.

I haven't been able to achieve that with my own, so far I can't get no satisfaction, but I try, and I try...

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’m guessing this is due to the compound leaves? I think that feature prevents ash from being used more extensively. But the winter image of this certainly makes this worthwhile. I’m intrigued by how the apex seems to come forward such that the first branch is underneath it, if that is correct based on how well I’m interpreting depth in the photo. It’s unconventional styling but it works.
Yes the leaves are such that they hide detail completely. They have reduced in size quite a lot ( I defoliate it twice/year ) but some trees are only made to look at in winter and to me this is one of them. The ''viewer side'' half of the main branch comes forward and out from the crown and the other half (kind of) goes towards the back.

Top Bottom