Asking permission to collect

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope this doesn't come off as an ignorant question; but how do you go about asking for permission to collect a tree? I've come across private property near my home with probably 50+ ancient olive trees. Trees appear to be completely uncared for, but very much alive. Owners do live on the property. Is protocol just to simply knock on their door and ask for permission to remove a tree. Do you offer money first? Or inquire as to whether they have plans for the trees. Any advice on how to approach would be appreciated.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't remember the thread where i learned this tactic or I'd link it. I'll share my "Cliff's Notes" though.

I went to my neighbor's door with my kid (purely circumstance) and a magazine that depicted the desired species. The magazine showed a progression. I told them that I was interested in a plant they had and showed them why and offered to replace it with a plant better suited for landscape.

They told me that they were renting.

It took some time to get the owner's number through conversation about their truck... I was granted permission when I called the landlord.

Then, I learned that the material was not ideal for bonsai culture and I didn't end up digging.

(I would advise not mentioning what the material is worth in the bonsai circle. That might work against you...)

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent idea to show photos of what I'm wanting to do. I'm always amazed at how unfamiliar bonsai is to so many. Maybe my best bet would be to try for a large limb vs the entire tree. Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd start with asking if they want the trees, or if they'd be interested in having them removed, free of charge. Starting with great photos might give the impression that the trees are worth more than they are...as they sit.

I've put business cards in mailboxes, knocked on doors. I've also offered to replace the trees with something else (people love knockout roses, and it's an easy way to get a new look in an old yard).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Brian.

Be careful about putting anything in the mailboxes though...unknown to most...it is a Federal offense to do so.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These old olives are on about a 20-40 acre parcel of land, and it appears originally they were planted in a grove style. There is an odd ball olive tree that's growing away from the grove of trees which is actually on the outside of the fence close to the main road. I may start my inquiry with this tree as its really more an eyesore than anything else. Appreciate the feedback.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was a no go on the olive trees, but

we did have the opportunity to chat with the owners and hopefully have made some good friends. Although they were unwilling to give up a tree, they did say they'd give me whatever purnings I wanted. I'm guess with these huge old trees, the prunings might provide some interesting material.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally a farmer said yes!!!

We didn't get the whole tree but did get a nice size limb with loads of movement to it we've cut it into smaller pieces and stuck them in a bucket of water (I read somewhere on this site to do that). Going to follow dougz method and hope they wil all root. What's everyone's suggestion on how long to soak?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe until you see a bucket full of roots, or at least enough to support the foliage. Hydro can be remarkably efficient as long as you replace the water every week or so and keep the trunk stabilized enough to prevent the new roots from damaging. I do have an olive but haven't tried it hydro style, although, my basil and a willow leaf ficus cutting did quite well in a solution of my wife's orchid fertilizer for several months.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been successful with olive limb sections soaking for a few hours, then following Doug's technique.

Good luck!

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
you'll have to complete this thread by letting us all know what you did! both neighbor contact and if you take cuttings what worked.

When i yamadori collect it usually is public land by permit. The one time I got permission from
a private property owner, thru conversation I found he had a passion for a hobby club that raised funds thru an auction so I donated one of my bonsai to him to put into the auction. I'm still working on the hemlock I got from him. It's still in the pummice and after two years putting on some foliage.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...we've cut it into smaller pieces and stuck them in a bucket of water (I read somewhere on this site to do that). Going to follow dougz method and hope they wil all root. What's everyone's suggestion on how long to soak?

I believe until you see a bucket full of roots, or at least enough to support the foliage. Hydro can be remarkably efficient as long as you replace the water every week or so and keep the trunk stabilized enough to prevent the new roots from damaging.

Doing the soak and going full time hydro are totally different. I wouldn't recommend full hydro to anyone who doesn't understand it fully. (asking about it is a big tip to avoid it except to learn and experiment).

IMHO, putting the cutting in fast draining substrate is much simpler and safer. For a newbie, it translates to much higher success rate.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doing the soak and going full time hydro are totally different. I wouldn't recommend full hydro to anyone who doesn't understand it fully. (asking about it is a big tip to avoid it except to learn and experiment).

IMHO, putting the cutting in fast draining substrate is much simpler and safer. For a newbie, it translates to much higher success rate.

My intention was never to go hydro. I had read that soaking for a few days prior to placing in fast draining bonsai soil and root box was advantageous; I was questioning how many days to soak them.

In regards to finally getting a 'yes' was simply based on asking enough farmers. I had a title company pull property profiles on every olive farmer in my county and just making the calls. I focused on farmers with smaller acreage vs big corporations that own hundreds of acres. This particular farmer had 20 acres of 100+ year old manzanillo olives.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pattik,

My response is more for MrFancyPlants. ;) I quoted you to hi-lite the question.

Good luck with it. With your diligence, you should have lots of nice olive in a short time. :) Re; soaking, I do not even soak mine so cannot comment for how long is the "best". Most cuttings I take are soaked only while waiting for me to be ready to pot them. I usually get cuttings while repotting a bigger tree and the cutting is just a trash piece...nice enough not to throw away.

The olive cutting I stuck on my empty pot (no extra care given) 6 weeks ago is already budding though.

Last edited:

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dario do you use plywood screwed to the bottom of the cutting? Would I be just as successful with my root developing by using a piece of ceramic tile underneath the cutting?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't just because my cutting is small and I didn't really care for it much...just didn't want to throw it w/o giving it a chance. As I said, I just stuck it on the soil w/o any special treatment.

I would use any...each have it's advantage and disadvantage. I personally use a plain plastic sheet (thick one) on my trident seedlings. Others say the tree will push up against it but not in my experience. Small roots travel away from it...any push later is because the roots are thickening up and that to me is good.

Different approach, with near identical results IMHO. Do what is convenient to you. :)

Top Bottom