Asking Thuya care and advises

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I just got the opportunity to own my first thuya.

I already know the species, its behavior and basic care as its commonly used as hedges here in zone 5B but I would like to expose my plan and be sure my basic knowledge is good enough so I can help the tree strenghten and grow bigger before any styling work.

My first question: I would like to know the exact name of the technique that consist in fusing a tree with a stump as this one. Is it something like an approach grafts?

I would like to tell you how I see the developement of that tree and if it make sense to more experienced members.

I plan on helping the tree to strenghten as much as possible by letting it grow freely first.
From there, I will wait for a future opportunity to repot and start working on the root mass.
Once the tree established, the initial styling and strutural pruning work will begin
So first step is to get a better root mass, and to do so the tree as to keep as much foliage possible.

1-
To preserve the foliage mass is it a good idea to start placing the secondary branches down so full sun is allowed to enter inside the canopy?
During the first development step I would like to help the tree dont lose interior growth how can I do that while allowing the branches to elongate?
I know to well what happen on sections of thuya that dont have enought light.
As its not even an attempt to really style the tree do you think installing guy wires on the biggest branches to lower them down is a good idea?
Im a bit sceptical about using guy wires on this tree as the primary trunk is secured to the stump using tywrap and foam to protect the bark but its not "fused" so applying pressure on the opposite side by placing a guy wire anchored on the pot on the opposite side might not be the best solution here.

2-
I would like to preserve the old stump as it is.
Can I use lime sulfur to protect it right now or should I wait for any reason?
Just keep in mind the tree is not fused yet if it change anything.

3-
I see this tree as a natural wild growing thuya,
Not much conjestion on the pads, with the stump on the left side I think a mild windswept styling for the right side would look very good.
Any advises on styling I should read as thuya I have in zone 5b are mostly babied trees, trimmed as a full and compact hedge.

4-
If you have any advises Im all hears!
I would like to learn from your experience on growing thuya as bonsai but for now I need time to better understand the tree amd its growing habits, anything I should really focus to ensure proper growing conditions I might not this about?

Here's a few pictures of the tree.
Total height with pot is actually 4.5ft

20220524_092953.jpg

20220524_092944.jpg

20220524_093011.jpg
20220524_093002.jpg

Merci!
Ugo

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool Thuja!

I like the naturalistic, upright approach.

Careful when wiring.. little braided-looking rocket chutes damage easily. (Not TOO easily).

And Thuja foliage is Photosensitive/non-adapting..

This means foliage turned past "upside-down" parameters.. will
die, and try to take that branch with it.

As far as bringing any foliage IN.. or "chasing back"....
Attendez que le curé se mouche!

Also..

@Frozentreehugger LOVES talking Thujas..

@Leo in N E Illinois has provided me a wealth of info on the subject, also.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thuja are fairly closely related to Hinoki. Like Hinoki, they will not bud back on wood old enough to have bark. This must be factored into your styling technique. Do not cut back to excess. I do all my pruning in early spring, and in August. Then leave them alone rest of the year. Wire in Autumn or over the winter. Over all, I find them easy to care for, they are not difficult.

Deadwood is very rot resistant, a coat of lime-sulfur every 5 years or so will keep the deadwood preserved for at least 50 years or more. You probably won't need your first coat of lime-sulfur until the deadwood is over 10 years old.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Thank you guys for the detailled answers.

Alright, my view in terms of styling for this tree so far is that I unfortunately dont find the actual look to be natural or representative of the specie. I will have to take styling decisions but I dont want to set the tree back if for example the root system is not well established or the trunk is not fused.
On the other hand I see this tree as elongated on the side, very horizontal first branching, secondary going a little bit futher down, with a light foliage pad density but I still dont want to lose interior growth before I decide to remove for aesthetic reason.
@Leo in N E Illinois what would be your advise on this type of first styling work from "stock" material to a more naturalistic bonsai first styling in general?

And just to be precise in term of the specie behavior:
Should I give space to the branches and start to control the design lightly using guy wires, placing the first branching more horizontaly and leave it like that until Im sure the tree is vigorous and healthy before working further more but still lightly towards the design.
Or
Focus on the establiblisment of the root system before first desing atempt and simply utilize and work with the foliage present at that moment so no manipulations necessary before the first real styling which will happen in about 2 years?

Hope my questions are not too much..
I really want to have the global idea of your bonsai approach of thuya especially when dealing with first styling.
The specie is quite easy to maintain, proof is I have a 100ft linear feets of compact thuya hedge and I was able to keep it in shape and healthy for years now.
You can see opening in the 3rd picture, a small section was completely messed up thanks to my neighbor who decided to prune it aggresively and should I add illegally, that's why you see so much elongation over the top and holes here and there on that section of about 20ft..

anyway long story short!
That not what I want for this little tree!! Im thinking natural ;)

Thanks again
Ugo

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No such thing as too many questions, though there is such thing as not enough answers.
That is a killer trunk. I would be tempted to attempt some grafts down low. I’m “pretty sure” it could be done w the species, though admittedly, my ficus grafts fail, so a few grains of fertilizer salts to be taken with my advice.
Keep us updated. It goes to show, good hedgerows make good neighbors or something.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
No such thing as too many questions, though there is such thing as not enough answers.
That is a killer trunk. I would be tempted to attempt some grafts down low. I’m “pretty sure” it could be done w the species, though admittedly, my ficus grafts fail, so a few grains of fertilizer salts to be taken with my advice.
Keep us updated. It goes to show, good hedgerows make good neighbors or something.
Hi!

Thanks!
Little detail!
Its important to know that the trunk that you see is not the real tree trunk but a deadwood branche with a carved groove to accept a small thuya tree inside it, hoping the tree will increase in trunk size and fuse with the dead branche, so no graft possible!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I do not see any reason to graft additional branches beyond what you have.

Natural form for Thuja is either a simple columnar form or a candelabra form. I've seen 500 year old Thuja in northern Michigan, unfortunately in forest settings where they take the candelabra form. In open and on rocks, they can can be as beat up as juniper. Straight but weathered trunks are a common theme.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
View attachment 439044some inspiration for you.(not mine sadly)

You read my mind!
That's the kind of design I want to work towards.

Im still trying to figure when to begin the first styling work.
For this tree in particular its not that Im impatient but I want to keep as much foliage as possible and I think it is too compact to allow sunlight inside the foliage mass.
I think I will go ahead and lower some primary branches that are still flexible.
As HorseloverFat suggest I will take great care to this:
And Thuja foliage is Photosensitive/non-adapting..

This means foliage turned past "upside-down" parameters.. will
die, and try to take that branch with it.

As far as bringing any foliage IN.. or "chasing back"....
Attendez que le curé se mouche!

For sure the tree wont be pruned, primary branche will simply be guided down so I dont think this little guy wont suffer.
Where I live Thuya branches can get really down low when they have snow on them and as other conifers they "mostly" dont snap and get back up in Spring.
I just have to make this tree believe there is snow forcing its branches down in June.. ;)

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi everyone!

Just a quick update as I finally jumped in and did initial styling of the tree!

Well Im far from being as professional as the artist who worked on the tree in the picture above but I can confirm this was the most challenging wiring work I had to do in my small bonsai career.
It was a pleasure to work on!

So I did intial wiring, cleaned-up croch, applied some guy wires (clean fishing lines as a test)

Let say it was my first experience working so extensively with Thuja and I enjoyed it;)

I really dont want to brag or anything but Im kind of proud of my progression so far, Im on a learning curve for sure and always will be but its fun when you know a bit more what you're doing and why you're doing it!

There is still wood work to do in the future but I want to learn and practice more before any attempt!

Hope you enjoy!

Before:
Screenshot_20220625-025030_Samsung Internet.jpg

After:

Choosen front
20220625_003814.jpg
20220625_003846.jpg
20220625_003856.jpg

Left Side
20220625_003951.jpg

Back
20220625_004017.jpg

Right side
20220625_004036.jpg

Details

20220625_003920.jpg
20220625_003924.jpg
20220625_003929.jpg

Last edited:

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Details continued:
20220625_004113.jpg
20220625_004117.jpg
20220625_004131.jpg
20220625_004148.jpg
20220625_004148.jpg
20220625_004317.jpg
20220625_004307.jpg
20220625_004241.jpg

20220625_004329.jpg

Thanks again for all your advises!
Ugo

Attachments

• 20220625_004207.jpg
    20220625_004207.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

Little progression of my Tanuki project.

I think things are starting to take form.
Next years will be time for a repot into a proper pot and work on the dead wood!

20230624_142819.jpg20230624_142823.jpg20230624_142835.jpg20230624_142853.jpg20230624_142904.jpg20230624_142914.jpg

Top Bottom