Atlanta Bonsai Society Annual Show

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought you had some messing to do. LOL
That was done this past weekend! I hosted the Redneck Bonsai Study Group, and they left beer cans, various pieces of animal fur, shell casings, hound dogs, mangled hub caps, boiled peanut shells, and half chewed toothpicks behind for me to clean up! The homeowner’s association is sending me a bill for the damage to the road caused by the Ford vs Chevy truck pull. One of the neighbors called the Sherriff’s office about this strange material we were sifting the in front yard that came in bags with weird hyroglifics printed on the bags. We were given a warning citation for “devil worshiping”. That should have been the end of it, until the deputy noticed Boon poking at a tree’s roots with a chopstick, and we were accused of hiding contraband. And, THEN, oh boy, that’s when they saw the Japanese Maple trimmings on the floor.

My court date is in two weeks.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'll be showing my procumbens juniper:

juniper.jpg

That picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, after the first root prune out of its nursery container. I was lucky enough to have this pot on hand because I didn't have time to go shopping before the show!

I had been planning to do a two-tree display with my serissa, but I forgot to ask my sister-in-law to water it while we were on vacation in January. After four days of being inside with the heat on, it had dried out and one of the two main trunks died :(

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Adair....That sounds like a typical party weekend for me when I lived at Walnut Mountain in Ellijay.....I think HOA had a party of their own when I finally sold that place. I can honestly say I don't miss those days. If Ya'll ever do one of these get-togethers and need someone to sweep floors and crush all the beer cans I'm your guy.

Brian

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I could go - I bet it'll be a good show. Someone please take and post photos! I'm out of town out in the Grand Tetons for a while visiting family so I'm definitely not going to make it. As a 20+ year former resident of Georgia, Adair's Redneck post still has me laughing! ;)

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wish I could go - I bet it'll be a good show. Someone please take and post photos! I'm out of town out in the Grand Tetons for a while visiting family so I'm definitely not going to make it. As a 20+ year former resident of Georgia, Adair's Redneck post still has me laughing! ;)
The Tetons are awesome. I work a few hours south of them.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been coming out to the Tetons off and on the past 30 years. Now I have family out here I try to get out every year or two. I do a lot of landscape painting (oils, pastels or water color) so it's a great week for painting winter scenes. Good thing too because I have a bunch of shows I need new work done for pronto! Especially for a solo show I landed with Sotherby's. All of you have a great time next weekend! I hope the weather will be decent.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been coming out to the Tetons off and on the past 30 years. Now I have family out here I try to get out every year or two. I do a lot of landscape painting (oils, pastels or water color) so it's a great week for painting winter scenes. Good thing too because I have a bunch of shows I need new work done for pronto! Especially for a solo show I landed with Sotherby's. All of you have a great time next weekend! I hope the weather will be decent.
Yes, probably one of the prettiest places to paint I am sure! Lots of great scenery all around Wyoming. The Flaming Gorge is in the bottom half of Wyoming at Utah State Line. I would recommend you try and visit on one of your trips. Relatively unknown but incredible stuff. A nice canyon in the area also with great 500 ft rocks straight up from the floor of the canyon. Rivals lots of the Yellowstone area. Maybe 4 hours from Jackson Hole.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, did this thread ever get derailed! First, the Atlanta Bonsai Society Show, then rwdnexk shenanigans, then life in the Tetons...

What’s next?

Hey, Hyn! You going skiing?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, did this thread ever get derailed! First, the Atlanta Bonsai Society Show, then rwdnexk shenanigans, then life in the Tetons...

What’s next?

Hey, Hyn! You going skiing?

Thanks for that heads up, JMW! We may not have time to check that out this trip but maybe in the summer!

Yes, lots of skiing, Adair! My apologies for the thread hijack. I am seeing some pretty awesome wind and ice blasted trees out here and trying to get photos but the deep snow makes it really difficult to get shots from road because the snow is so high it blocks much of the views. While skiing you can bet I don't have a camera in my hands! I need a GoPro cam. ;)

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got my pot oiled and put some moss around my tree the past couple of nights.
I had a lot less usable moss than I thought, so I wish I had started on these finishing touches last week! I'll probably end up using crushed granite as a top dressing on the rest of the soil.

moss.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got my pot oiled and put some moss around my tree the past couple of nights.
I had a lot less usable moss than I thought, so I wish I had started on these finishing touches last week! I'll probably end up using crushed granite as a top dressing on the rest of the soil.

View attachment 231868
No, go find more moss.

The best way to do it is start at the edge of the pot and work your way in towards the tree.

At the last meeting, Kathy Shaner talked about why fully mossing is appropriate.

We’ve had tons of rain. Good Moss is abundant. Look in parking lots alongside curbs.

Top Bottom