Atlanta Bonsai Society Annual Show

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you /so much/ for posting these photos from the show! Almost as good as getting to be there. Nothing of mine has really leafed out yet. A draw back of living up on a mountain, even though I am only about 3 hour drive from Atlanta. Spring has not sprung up here yet though it's coming! Buds are swelling and candles are extending. First of my trees to flower this year is my Hall's Hardy almond, smothered with pink blossoms but not leaves yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you /so much/ for posting these photos from the show! Almost as good as getting to be there. Nothing of mine has really leafed out yet. A draw back of living up on a mountain, even though I am only about 3 hour drive from Atlanta. Spring has not sprung up here yet though it's coming! Buds are swelling and candles are extending. First of my trees to flower this year is my Hall's Hardy almond, smothered with pink blossoms but not leaves yet.
My zelkova has not stated to move. Many visitors asked, “what’s wrong with that tree? Is it dead?” And then I pointed out the window to several trees outside that also had yet to start putting out leaves.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are a couple of shots of my entry (after getting some extra moss and help from our guest artist Friday afternoon):

juniper-front.JPG

juniper-top.JPG

Seeing it up higher on the show table really showed me how badly the tree is leaning back... when viewing it straight on, lots of the foliage is hidden. Tyler Sherrod, our guest artist for the weekend, also suggested some great design changes that I can start working towards.

matthughes404

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Adair M, do you remember what gauge copper wire that Tyler used to re-position the large branches during his demonstration?
I'm thinking I'll need wire with similar holding power to for the side branches on my juniper.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the thickest we used was 8. But we still used some guy wires to pull down a couple branches.

The best way to go is to buy a roll of every size. The very big, and the very thin sizes aren’t used very often, but when you need them, you need them! If you plan to work with large collected trees, you will need more large wire. When you start working with refined trees, you need lots of the smaller stuff.

Buying a “starter set” of some of everything is a good way to go, and then you’ll see which you use the most.

Also, that tree was getting an initial styling, so we just wired the primary branches. So, we used mostly larger wire: 8, 10, 12 gauge. I don’t think we used any 16 gauge, which is the gauge I use the most!

Top Bottom