Atlanta Bonsai Society Auction 2021

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yesterday we had Atlanta Bonsai Society’s yearly auction. Over 120 people attended and 200+ lots were for sale. Thought I would share some pictures on bonsai nut.

Attachments

• 433ED476-9F5E-4B57-873B-961759FAD2F6.jpeg
    433ED476-9F5E-4B57-873B-961759FAD2F6.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 882D2FDE-B93B-4E4D-B53B-442F1A2ED4DF.jpeg
    882D2FDE-B93B-4E4D-B53B-442F1A2ED4DF.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 9EA18F7B-5787-4DFA-A449-EB9B76FF47FE.jpeg
    9EA18F7B-5787-4DFA-A449-EB9B76FF47FE.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 75A1620F-8738-40D0-91D8-2EDF28A4065E.jpeg
    75A1620F-8738-40D0-91D8-2EDF28A4065E.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 55C2C972-F929-4D1D-B5A0-1D26316F0B85.jpeg
    55C2C972-F929-4D1D-B5A0-1D26316F0B85.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 88
  • F5194FE0-946C-45B5-9B48-9B3EFA7B319A.jpeg
    F5194FE0-946C-45B5-9B48-9B3EFA7B319A.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 111

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I also had a great time, thanks so much for all the work you all put in to make it happen!

Scott

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
I also had a great time, thanks so much for all the work you all put in to make it happen!

Scott
Thanks for coming! See you at our next event in September :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AcerAddict, This is the kind of thing you can access for solid value trees. Club auctions offer all kinds of things, from finished, semi-finished, sapling trees, pots, books, "stuff" too. Clubs are planning these in the fall. The Northern Va. Bonsai Societ auction is at the end of September for instance.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@arjun that's a serious auction there! How many members are in the Atlanta Bonsai Society?

@rockm are you a member of the Northern VA Bonsai Society? Do you have to be a member to participate in the auction or could one attend as a guest?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@arjun that's a serious auction there! How many members are in the Atlanta Bonsai Society?

@rockm are you a member of the Northern VA Bonsai Society? Do you have to be a member to participate in the auction or could one attend as a guest?
I am a lapsed NVBS member and not current. You have to be a member to SELL stuff, but not to BUY stuff. From past auctions, I can say the NVBS event will be comparable in selection to the one here, if not more so. I've picked up some great stuff (and sold some great stuff for reasonable prices) at this auction in the past.

From the Aug. 8 NVBS newsletter:

The 2021 NVBS Bonsai Auction will be held on Saturday, September 25, in the Lilac Pavilion at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, 9750 Meadowlark Gardens Ct, Vienna, VA 22182. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the auction will begin at 10 a.m.

BIDDERS/ BUYERS

Bidding at the NVBS Auction is open to the public and all NVBS and PBA members. Bidding will start at 10 a.m., but come early to check out the selection and get your bidder number.

SELLERS
NVBS members and members of any PBA affiliated club may sell. Start considering if you have bonsai-related items you might like to put in the auction. Each individual may sell up to 7 items (or lots) and you will register your items when you arrive the morning of the auction. NVBS will keep 20% of the proceeds from each sale and the rest goes to the seller. If you plan to sell, plan to arrive by 9 a.m. to register the items for sale. You may print a seller registration form and bring it with you, or pick up a copy of the form when you arrive on September 25.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@AcerAddict, This is the kind of thing you can access for solid value trees. Club auctions offer all kinds of things, from finished, semi-finished, sapling trees, pots, books, "stuff" too. Clubs are planning these in the fall. The Northern Va. Bonsai Societ auction is at the end of September for instance.
I wish there was something like this closer to me. Unfortunately, the closest bonsai club near here that I know of is in Raleigh. Now that's only a 2-hour drive, but still, not exactly around the corner. Frankly, I'm surprised that there isn't a bonsai club out of Wilmington, NC. It's a big enough metro area that it could support a club pretty easily, I imagine. Hmm...has a bonsai club ever been founded by a novice? 🤔

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am a lapsed NVBS member and not current. You have to be a member to SELL stuff, but not to BUY stuff. From past auctions, I can say the NVBS event will be comparable in selection to the one here, if not more so. I've picked up some great stuff (and sold some great stuff for reasonable prices) at this auction in the past.

From the Aug. 8 NVBS newsletter:

The 2021 NVBS Bonsai Auction will be held on Saturday, September 25, in the Lilac Pavilion at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, 9750 Meadowlark Gardens Ct, Vienna, VA 22182. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the auction will begin at 10 a.m.

BIDDERS/ BUYERS

Bidding at the NVBS Auction is open to the public and all NVBS and PBA members. Bidding will start at 10 a.m., but come early to check out the selection and get your bidder number.

SELLERS
NVBS members and members of any PBA affiliated club may sell. Start considering if you have bonsai-related items you might like to put in the auction. Each individual may sell up to 7 items (or lots) and you will register your items when you arrive the morning of the auction. NVBS will keep 20% of the proceeds from each sale and the rest goes to the seller. If you plan to sell, plan to arrive by 9 a.m. to register the items for sale. You may print a seller registration form and bring it with you, or pick up a copy of the form when you arrive on September 25.
Thanks! I may make a trip down to visit.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@rockm Very true! The material ran the spectrum from saplings to high quality trees and everything in between. There were also some tree species that you don't see too often. Some of the best deals were had on pots though. A few higher end pots were sold for probably 50% of their retail value.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm Very true! The material ran the spectrum from saplings to high quality trees and everything in between. There were also some tree species that you don't see too often. Some of the best deals were had on pots though. A few higher end pots were sold for probably 50% of their retail value.
yep. Pots are always a good deal at these things. A while ago, I sold a couple of Horst Heinzelreiter pots I had priced what I bought them for. Bidding war drove that up. Sold some early Lang pots for less than I paid., etc.

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score

173 members :)

yup the black pine was a Peter tea tree. I had been taking care of it since last year as our show got canceled due to covid. But now it found a new owner :)

Top Bottom