Atlanta bonsai society spring show 2017

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A few more pictures, including the best RMJ in the show, as well as one of a sweet green atlas cedar, which won best in show, along with a picture of Jaun Andrade, our guest artist and judge, who did an absolutely fantastic job with the critique and the show in general. I can't recommend him highly enough.
DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0104.JPG DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0107.JPG DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0115.JPG DSC_0112.JPG DSC_0114.JPG DSC_0115.JPG DSC_0110.JPG

Last edited:

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome! Thanks for sharing these pictures. It strikes me that a few of the broadleaf trees displayed would benefit from being housed in pots with greater patina, or at least pots with a sense of age. Some of the images seem jarring to my eye - I'm not trying to be overly critical with my observation. I just think better developed trees deserve better "developed" pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for sharing Dav4! It is a great show indeed, great trees and great people. I must say, Juan Andrade (sp?) is a class act. His critique was kind, and fair, his demo was thoughtful and well laid out, and his demeanor is one that many bonsai "professionals" lack. It's been nice getting to know him...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you Dave for all the great pics and the report. I really enjoyed it. Some wonderful trees in there. Congrats to all and to the winners! Nice tree Eli. Adair congrats on your beautiful JBP. Nicely done!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks @Dav4 for taking the time to bring the show to us. Some fabulous trees...I'm so glad to see the Goji in the show as well. It was meant for others to appreciate. Glad if Judy had to sell it...that it went to you. By the way...trees were stunning. Great presentations as well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome! Thanks for sharing these pictures. It strikes me that a few of the broadleaf trees displayed would benefit from being housed in pots with greater patina, or at least pots with a sense of age. Some of the images seem jarring to my eye - I'm not trying to be overly critical with my observation. I just think better developed trees deserve better "developed" pots.
Isn't that always the trick... to make the best match between your tree and pot? Jaun actually did point out once or twice how an older, more patinated pots would improve the image. For many of the trees, size makes finding an older pot with patina difficult to say the least. At least for me, it wasn't an issue when I was viewing the various displays for the most part.

Top Bottom