Atlanta bonsai society spring show 2017

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A few more of the show, including the vending area and two very large and exceptional suiseki collections. Overall, a new bar was set for the Atlanta Bonsai Society spring show..
View attachment 137301 View attachment 137302 View attachment 137303 View attachment 137304 View attachment 137305 View attachment 137306 View attachment 137307 View attachment 137308 View attachment 137309 View attachment 137310
Dave, I think the quality of the show this year is head and shoulder better than the the ones we've had in the past! I'm glad to see it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome! Thanks for sharing these pictures. It strikes me that a few of the broadleaf trees displayed would benefit from being housed in pots with greater patina, or at least pots with a sense of age. Some of the images seem jarring to my eye - I'm not trying to be overly critical with my observation. I just think better developed trees deserve better "developed" pots.
I agree. Hey, we're doing good just getting folks to make better trees! Getting them into better pots... well, that going to be harder to do!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For instance, we never had many decent Shohin trees until I put in display a couple years ago that won Best of Show. Suddenly, members started to make better Shohin!

The quality is getting better, and I'm happy to see it!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't that always the trick... to make the best match between your tree and pot? Jaun actually did point out once or twice how an older, more patinated pots would improve the image. For many of the trees, size makes finding an older pot with patina difficult to say the least. At least for me, it wasn't an issue when I was viewing the various displays for the most part.

The tree/pot combo was only jarring on two or three trees you posted. It doesn't really other me as much with shohin displays - probably because I take in the trees collectively without overly concentrating on a single tree/pot pairing. A single tree display invites more scrutiny, so "off" pairings are more noticeable. I can appreciate that not everyone wants to drop the kind of money to pick exhibition quality pottery for their trees. Many people would rather spend the money on better material which I can't knock. Personally, when I get to the point that I've been developing single trees for 20+ years, I want to make sure they have the appropriate containers to reflect their dignity while on display.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
More tongue in cheek really. This was the only RMJ in the show. I think, in total, 4 RMJs are owned by the club members, and 3 are in my back yard, so I always stand a chance of having the best RMJ in the show;).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree/pot combo was only jarring on two or three trees you posted. It doesn't really other me as much with shohin displays - probably because I take in the trees collectively without overly concentrating on a single tree/pot pairing. A single tree display invites more scrutiny, so "off" pairings are more noticeable. I can appreciate that not everyone wants to drop the kind of money to pick exhibition quality pottery for their trees. Many people would rather spend the money on better material which I can't knock. Personally, when I get to the point that I've been developing single trees for 20+ years, I want to make sure they have the appropriate containers to reflect their dignity while on display.
Exactly. This is probably one of the better shows east of the Rockies, but the majority of participants here are not interested in showing their trees in any other shows other then this one, and there's a financial and artistic limit to their interest and experience. I agree with Adair that we all should feel good about the general trend toward producing better trees. Getting them to spend more dough on better pots will be another large obstacle to overcome.... but Adair and I are up to the challenge!!!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Exactly. This is probably one of the better shows east of the Rockies, but the majority of participants here are not interested in showing their trees in any other shows other then this one, and there's a financial and artistic limit to their interest and experience. I agree with Adair that we all should feel good about the general trend toward producing better trees. Getting them to spend more dough on better pots will be another large obstacle to overcome.... but Adair and I are up to the challenge!!!

Hopefully I'll be around for the show next year. We're strongly considering moving back to the Atlanta area in the relative near future. I've got the opposite problem that's being discussed here. My pot collection is modest in numbers (compared to other prolific collectors), but is of decent quality. My tree game is abysmal though. The fact that I have no outdoor space prevents me from keeping hardly any trees. Once I move I'll be able to consolidate trees I've collected from my brother's house in NC. Hoping to have something show-worthy in a few years. For now I'll have to content myself with collecting quality pottery!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully I'll be around for the show next year. We're strongly considering moving back to the Atlanta area in the relative near future. I've got the opposite problem that's being discussed here. My pot collection is modest in numbers (compared to other prolific collectors), but is of decent quality. My tree game is abysmal though. The fact that I have no outdoor space prevents me from keeping hardly any trees. Once I move I'll be able to consolidate trees I've collected from my brother's house in NC. Hoping to have something show-worthy in a few years. For now I'll have to content myself with collecting quality pottery!
I come from the "you can never have enough good pots" camp, though I wasn't there in the beginning. I was like every one else who focused solely on the trees, and the pots were way, way, way down on the list. Luckily, I lived near New England Bonsai Gardens, and my whole outlook changed when I was allowed to check out their "pot room", which was essentially a 3 car garage that had floor to ceiling wooden shelves filling it and each shelf was stacked full of quality pots from Japan. That probably happened over 15 years ago, and I can guarantee you I've easily spent 3-4 times more money on pots then tree material since then... and I'm now slowly increasing my collection of jita, slabs, stands, with a definite focus on shohin display... don't tell my wife!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you like IPAs?? First round is on me if you make it down here for the show next year;).

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you like IPAs?? First round is on me if you make it down here for the show next year;).

Yessir! I'm an all-inclusive beer drinker, but I'm partial to IPAs and stouts. I'll pick up the second round!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some more bigger trees, including a killer chojubai quince and an even more killer cork bark JBP semi cascade
View attachment 137268 View attachment 137269 View attachment 137270 View attachment 137271 View attachment 137272 View attachment 137273View attachment 137275
Need more Liebig Dave! Cool trees, thanks for posting! I thought about coming down for it this weekend, talked to @hometeamrocker earlier in the week and he mentioned the show but I could not make it...

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I come from the "you can never have enough good pots" camp, though I wasn't there in the beginning. I was like every one else who focused solely on the trees, and the pots were way, way, way down on the list. Luckily, I lived near New England Bonsai Gardens, and my whole outlook changed when I was allowed to check out their "pot room", which was essentially a 3 car garage that had floor to ceiling wooden shelves filling it and each shelf was stacked full of quality pots from Japan. That probably happened over 15 years ago, and I can guarantee you I've easily spent 3-4 times more money on pots then tree material since then... and I'm now slowly increasing my collection of jita, slabs, stands, with a definite focus on shohin display... don't tell my wife!!

I can't even begin to consider jita, stands, and other display items before developing material to a substantial level. Right now I'm focusing on purchasing quality pots as fast as I can. I've really given up on impulse buys (other than my recent Koyo) and have been asking myself if a purchase will increase the standard of my collection. If the answer is no, then I pass it by. I even offloaded a couple of Nick Lenz pots because I want to really refine what I have to standout pots. I couldn't have even conceived of doing that a year ago.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Busy work season is on me, so it was refreshing and very nice to see this show in photos! Love all the shohin displays, happy to see that directional change. Looks like a real quality show. Maybe some taller drape could work better behind the trees, along with a steamer?

Top Bottom