Atlanta Roof Top Bonsai

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Like all businesses, location matters. The business sinks or wins based on its return per square foot of space, versus cost per square foot of space. I know a number of plant businesses (orchid businesses and one bonsai business) that went out of business because the land became too valuable for the activity (growing orchids or growing bonsai), the business could not return enough cash flow to cover property taxes.

Its all about gross sales versus total expenses.

So obviously, you can not afford to locate a bonsai business in downtown Atlanta, in the high rent district of Peach Tree or any of the trendy, high property tax or high rent districts. Its silly. So the logical step is to look in the moderate to low rent areas. You need a neighborhood that is either far enough out in the country that land values are cheap. Or you need a "brownfield" development where land is cheap, but you are closer in.

THere is a "Brownfield" orchid company in a "cave", in Kansas City. The cave is an old limestone mine that is no longer quarrying limestone. The tunnels are huge, usually 20 foot ceilings, and they run miles underground. The quarry become a mixed development. Because it is underground, you don't need to heat much in winter, actually you need to add a little heat, winter and summer simply because the constant 55 F cool puts a chill in your bones. The quarry ran electricity, there are roads in and out, parking areas in each gallery and shops put up glass storefronts. The orchid nursery has bout 2000 square feet, and grows all the orchids under lights. The rent is paid by the year, and is (was in 2005) only $4 per square foot. Your only utility was electricity, and growing under lights without the need for major heating and cooling that you would have to do above ground, the economics worked out. Other businesses in the cave included refrigerated storage. A boutique wine cellar where you can store you wine collection in individual lockers, there were restaurants, refrigerated trucking companies, and a bunch of other odd things. a wild place.

Point is, get creative on location. Some brownfield sites might be affordable. Otherwise, you have to head out to the country, to get land with a low enough overhead cost. Also, you must consider your customers relation to your location. One business in a very expensive neighborhood, the neighbors would complain when I parked my 20 year old rusty mini-van out front. The neighbors would complain that my car was making their lawns die. I'm joking, but one orchid business was forced by the City it was in to close and re-locate, because neighbors complained, and forced a change in zoning to prohibit retail sales on that street. It was a very, expensive neighborhood.

By the same token, the neighborhood needs to be safe enough that @Adair M could park his Tesla out front and not be afraid as to whether it would still be there when he came back out. Or that the rust from my car would attack his Tesla.

So location, location, location.

Brussels is at least somewhat concerned, the suburbs of Memphis keep expanding and property values for his location keep going up and up. He originally located just a few hundreds of feet across the line in Mississippi from Memphis in order to get in on the lower property taxes. So far it has worked well for him, but his taxes keep going up.

So choose your location well.

bonsaiBart

Seedling
Reaction score
When I first moved here to go to Georgia Tech I visited one in Lawrenceville or somewhere up north and also one on Roswell road but they don't exist any longer. That was early 2000s.
A couple stores sale indoor bonsai but nothing but plant city sales Shimpaku junipers and proper maples.....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like all businesses, location matters. The business sinks or wins based on its return per square foot of space, versus cost per square foot of space. I know a number of plant businesses (orchid businesses and one bonsai business) that went out of business because the land became too valuable for the activity (growing orchids or growing bonsai), the business could not return enough cash flow to cover property taxes.

Its all about gross sales versus total expenses.

So obviously, you can not afford to locate a bonsai business in downtown Atlanta, in the high rent district of Peach Tree or any of the trendy, high property tax or high rent districts. Its silly. So the logical step is to look in the moderate to low rent areas. You need a neighborhood that is either far enough out in the country that land values are cheap. Or you need a "brownfield" development where land is cheap, but you are closer in.

THere is a "Brownfield" orchid company in a "cave", in Kansas City. The cave is an old limestone mine that is no longer quarrying limestone. The tunnels are huge, usually 20 foot ceilings, and they run miles underground. The quarry become a mixed development. Because it is underground, you don't need to heat much in winter, actually you need to add a little heat, winter and summer simply because the constant 55 F cool puts a chill in your bones. The quarry ran electricity, there are roads in and out, parking areas in each gallery and shops put up glass storefronts. The orchid nursery has bout 2000 square feet, and grows all the orchids under lights. The rent is paid by the year, and is (was in 2005) only $4 per square foot. Your only utility was electricity, and growing under lights without the need for major heating and cooling that you would have to do above ground, the economics worked out. Other businesses in the cave included refrigerated storage. A boutique wine cellar where you can store you wine collection in individual lockers, there were restaurants, refrigerated trucking companies, and a bunch of other odd things. a wild place.

Point is, get creative on location. Some brownfield sites might be affordable. Otherwise, you have to head out to the country, to get land with a low enough overhead cost. Also, you must consider your customers relation to your location. One business in a very expensive neighborhood, the neighbors would complain when I parked my 20 year old rusty mini-van out front. The neighbors would complain that my car was making their lawns die. I'm joking, but one orchid business was forced by the City it was in to close and re-locate, because neighbors complained, and forced a change in zoning to prohibit retail sales on that street. It was a very, expensive neighborhood.

By the same token, the neighborhood needs to be safe enough that @Adair M could park his Tesla out front and not be afraid as to whether it would still be there when he came back out. Or that the rust from my car would attack his Tesla.

So location, location, location.

Brussels is at least somewhat concerned, the suburbs of Memphis keep expanding and property values for his location keep going up and up. He originally located just a few hundreds of feet across the line in Mississippi from Memphis in order to get in on the lower property taxes. So far it has worked well for him, but his taxes keep going up.

So choose your location well.
I've found that with bonsai, location is not as important as the market you are serving.

Many long standing bonsai nurseries and sellers, Bill Valavanis, Jim Doyle, Zach Smith, Chase Rosade, Matt Ouwinga, and my bonsai friends here in Va. at Gardens Unlimited, are among terrific, long-time bonsai businesses that have been in mostly rural locations since they began. Some sell online, others don't. Either way, People have been seeking them out for years because they offer quality material to knowledgeable buyers and stand behind it. If you're selling to a knowledgeable market, and have a fair priced quality product, they will find you. Working with local clubs can juice your rep too --but fair pricing and good stock is the currency you will need to develop and hold.

The low-end juniper/serissa/ficus retail stores in high traffic areas come and go constantly. They're not really bonsai stores as much as the puppy mills of the bonsai world. They sell to beginners and depend on beginners coming back for another tree after they killed their first. A cynical business model, but most likely a short-term money maker since you're just a middle man.

I would say if you're going to sell maple/pine stock trees and finished bonsai and decent containers, you're not looking at entry level--and probably don't need a high profile store front (which is going to eat into the low profits you're going to be raking in ;-)). I would ask BONSAI BUSINESS people about their businesses. I'd make a point to call them and talk, or (when it get backs to relative normal) attend as many shows to talk with them in person. Ask for a few minutes of their time. I'm positive they will give it.

Asking this question here is going to get a lot of answers, most of them inaccurate or impractical...

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Leo in N E Illinois and @rockm make really good points. Also, never underestimate the power of atmosphere (but don't over estimate it either). A rooftop location has a view, and a view is automatic inspiration. When customers feel inspired, they become willing to take on projects, and sometimes even projects like bonsai. I would build you whole location aesthetic/theme around that rooftop urban oasis idea. Events would be a big money mover more than routine sales. At the same time, leasing a rooftop that's not otherwise being used can be cheap space. Product/inventory can be stored off-site and moved to the shop as needed.
Overall, it's not an awful idea.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was actually a concern.. What will you stock. If you stock serious material, a rooftop might not be the easiest place to get them to and from.

Wheelchair lift in the stair well maybe? Modified into a platform that moves one or two largish trees at a time. A dumb weighter or similar that can lift straight from the sidewalk outside might be more useful but less reliable option, considering weight capacity, cost and weather.
Of course, a small rooftop greenhouse to minimize what needs moved wouldn't be a horrible idea. The choice on what gets moved is individual business sense.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know of a roof top garden, on the roof of a 3 flat in Chicago, that suddenly ended up being an indoor garden, partly in the second floor and some in the first floor of the 3 flat.

It is critical that you have a structural engineer and then the local building code inspector go over the weight or "loading" of the weight on the roof. Most roof tops were designed for 100 year snow loads, and rain loads and wind loads. They were NOT designed for the weight of shelves and benches and small koi ponds or fountains, nor were they designed for hot tubs, or large pots with lots of soil, the the water the soil holds along with the trees. The contents of a bonsai shop could be several thousands of pounds. It would be easy to unwittingly go well over the design capacity of a roof, which was only designed to hold a few inches of water or a few inches of snow.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
+1 on Plant City. Love his "sea of junipers" Right up my penny-pinching alley.
Go check the competition is THE #1 piece of advice that I can give you.
CW

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm planning on retiring in a few years (5-10 years but who's counting:p :rolleyes::p:rolleyes: #pipedream) and would love to buy a few acres of arable land up in Cherokee county to grow some maple and pine stock. Ultimately, I'll be the point man financially as well as main planter, waterer and pruner, and @Adair M will be quality control- he will consistently and only say "Chop lower...". If you're still in business in a decade or so, and I'm still alive and have actually been able to follow through with this, you may want to grab up some of my first offerings...
I will come help!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I didn't get it till I read that!

Thought they got tired of carrying things up!

Sorce

Serious, my buddy, a contractor had bid on the repairs. The knuckleheads built an elaborate vegetable garden, patio, with big tubs of "dirt" for a row of yews for windbreak. They then decided a hot tub would be good. They were not even half way filling the hot tub when the roof collapsed. The hot tub went down to the first floor, most of the shrubbery just went one, some went 2 floors down. My buddy didn't get the job, his bid was too high. But he had photos that he used for his bid.

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Serious, my buddy, a contractor had bid on the repairs. The knuckleheads built an elaborate vegetable garden, patio, with big tubs of "dirt" for a row of yews for windbreak. They then decided a hot tub would be good. They were not even half way filling the hot tub when the roof collapsed. The hot tub went down to the first floor, most of the shrubbery just went one, some went 2 floors down. My buddy didn't get the job, his bid was too high. But he had photos that he used for his bid.
I feel bad for laughing but how do people make decisions like these without thinking?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the business plan needs work. First consideration is money: how much you have to work with. Then you need to convince a landlord and a city engineer/zoning board, in that order, ala Leo's caveats. If you've never inquired about a variance, you're in for a big surprise!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Most people are not in construction and have no idea that concrete is not endlessly powerfull and that it will break
Big difference between compressive strength and tensile strength.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've found that with bonsai, location is not as important as the market you are serving.

Start by defining your target market, and then understanding their needs. Business 101.

To me there are two types of establishments I visit for bonsai: (1) generic nurseries that can occupy over an acre of land and offer interesting trees/plants/cultivars and (2) bonsai establishments that offer pre-bonsai, finished bonsai, pots, equipment, soil components, and services. There is usually very little overlap, though the two are complementary.

Decide if you are going to be primarily online (in which case proximity to shipping becomes a major consideration) or if you are going to depend on drive-up retail customers, or even foot traffic. Will your target audience be narrow, but high repeat? Or will it be broad, low repeat?

Make sure you offer the proper product mix. Determine which products will be low margin traffic-builders that can't be easily purchased online (soil), and where you will make your money (finished trees, high-end pots). Where will you obtain inventory? Will you grow it yourself, or will you obtain it elsewhere and simply maintain and sell it? Regardless, any plant life is perishable, and requires light and water at the minimum, so you will have very specific retail space needs. Many landlords do not like to deal with retail lines that might damage their buildings (aquarium stores, pet stores, perishable food, etc).

Will you offer services? What will they be? Will they be on-site (classes, etc) or will they be off-site (tree-sitting / tree maintenance). The most successful koi business in SoCal has a small retail location several miles from the middle of town in Laguna Beach... but they make all their money with koi pond maintenance and services. And if they can ship live koi, don't complain about the difficulty associated with shipping a bonsai tree :)

Will you run the business yourself, or will you have employees? What will you have your employees do? At House of Bonsai in LA, the owner works the retail counter and handles customer service, but she has two employees who work small deciduous trees and manage packaging and shipping, one employee with advanced skills who works conifers and grafts, and a couple of guys who handle the nursery tasks (watering, etc). They are located under electrical power lines where zoning prohibits most structures, so the land is cheap. As far as retail, it is strictly a no-frills operation, but since they mostly sell online, no one needs to see their operations :) If you need soil components, BYOB and they sell pumice and lava by the bucket load because they use tons of it themselves in their operations. But don't go there if you are looking to strike up a bonsai chat... they are strictly business and can be rude if you start wasting their time by asking too many questions. "Too many" in this case defined as "more than one" :)

Top Bottom