Atlantic cedar in nursery

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
These 2 Atlantic cedars are available in a nursery. No reverse taper on both,but nearly no taper on first and very little taper on second.Screenshot_20200603-195603_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200603-195553_Gallery.jpg
Second one has also this smaller branch on the side believe it should be emerging from the trunk below the sand.
Tempted to go with the second for the bark on the trunk and the multiple branches with interior growth already.
Appreciate any advice
Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting thread graft points here.

If you've decided to use the free goat pellet fertilizer, you can afford both!

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
They're fairly priced so can afford both just not sure theyll make good trees. Think i should go for both ?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Atlantic cedars are beautiful trees.

I find them hard to keep here, but if I were you, I'd buy them both.

I spent a couple of nights under a tent in Morocco in the late 70s, in a valley covered with these majestic trees. In the morning, monkeys would comme to have a drink in the lake, and in the evening, the shepards would lead their flocks to the lake. They wouls stop before our tents to make sure that the sheep wouldn't trample on us. Then, they whistled, and the flock parted, avoiding our tourist camp, to have some water.

At that time, it was "ramadan", other people, locals were around the lake, and after sunset, we could hear darboukas and people having fun. The next day, we would haggle the price of a "tajine", but just for being polite : when you don't haggle in some places, it's like contempt.

I don't try Libanese cedar or Atlantic cedar any more : I think that some trees are much better where they live and we should help the people there to make them preserve their heritage.

These are trees that belong to your place : keep us updated.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Atlantic cedars are beautiful trees.

I find them hard to keep here, but if I were you, I'd buy them both.

I spent a couple of nights under a tent in Morocco in the late 70s, in a valley covered with these majestic trees. In the morning, monkeys would comme to have a drink in the lake, and in the evening, the shepards would lead their flocks to the lake. They wouls stop before our tents to make sure that the sheep wouldn't trample on us. Then, they whistled, and the flock parted, avoiding our tourist camp, to have some water.

At that time, it was "ramadan", other people, locals were around the lake, and after sunset, we could hear darboukas and people having fun. The next day, we would haggle the price of a "tajine", but just for being polite : when you don't haggle in some places, it's like contempt.

I don't try Libanese cedar or Atlantic cedar any more : I think that some trees are much better where they live and we should help the people there to make them preserve their heritage.

These are trees that belong to your place : keep us updated.
Wow great story, must have been really nice to remember it 40 years later. Will book the second one tomorrow I believe and might just attempt the summer repotting that many are promoting for conifers or just wait till next year before buds push in early spring.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow great story, must have been really nice to remember it 40 years later. Will book the second one tomorrow I believe and might just attempt the summer repotting that many are promoting for conifers or just wait till next year before buds push in early spring.
If you ever find a reliable repot moment, let me know. I have 10 growing in the soil and I killed 5 last year by digging them up. Now I'm a bit cautious with getting the other 10 out of the soil.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I speculate that if you apply our standard pattern of repotting in expectation of the growing season, spring, to the native regions of Atlantic Cedar, ~Casablanca, that would be the beginning of the muggy season in June. These trees grow mainly at elevations downwind from the muggy coast and would be subject, I speculate, to heavy dew overnight from June to October. The cones release pollen in September according to Oregon State U. and take two years to mature.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I have half bare rooted and repotted 11 lebanese cedar which I believe are pretty close, with only one not doing well after repot. I repoted just before or at bud push in Apr- May.
A grower here grows lebanese and atlantic cedars in nursery pots and normal soil before repoting to bonsai pots in normal soil. He does all his repoting for local pine (pinus nigra) lebanese cedar and atlantic cedar, in jan feb time frame which is the middle to end of the winter here. Unfortunately his prices are a bit steep and his styling isn't really what i want and his trees are in regular soil which works great for him, yet I can't manage the water retention in that soil with humidity of my location and maybe reduced sun/wind exposure of.my garden and maybe my watering... so that's my only reason of having limited trees from him.
This is not inline with most conifer repotting recommendation especially for elongating sub alpine species which I believe atlantic cedar is also, where the recommendation for repotting I see is mostly mid spring or later around summer.
I'll update on the success of my repotting of the lebanese cedar in few months after I know my success rate of my last repoting.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Number 2 tree looks more interesting maybe. However hard to tell not seeing trunks under foliage. Lots of low foliage=GOOD;).
However number 1 tree has possibility to use second trunk/low branch on left as new trunk while keeping big base for first few inches.

Top Bottom