Atlas Cedar

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All

Without a doubt the most beautiful and awe inspiring trees I've ever seen is the Cedrus Atlantica at Kirstenbosch in Cape Town.
http://www.sanbi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=594%3Apearsons-grave-and-the-atlas-cedar&catid=48%3Akirstenbosch-nbg&Itemid=510

The next logical step is wanting an Atlas Cedar bonsai of course.....

The only way I can do this is getting a family member to collect seeds from that very tree and send them to me.
Now the question is, would I need to do anything special to germinate the seeds, and any idea how fast they grow?

Cheers
Gerhard

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
couldn't see/find the tree?

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Brian, those pics were even more motivation.

Googled some more, germination doesn't look tricky, so I've puched the buttons and I'm waiting for the seed.

Sad to think at 35 I likely don't have enough life left to get from a seed to something like the pics I've seen!

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Gerhard,

Don't despair - Jim is in his 60s and I know that the trees that you saw on his site were started later than when he was 35! Most of his cedars are 15-20 years old at this point, started from seed I believe. He ground grows them, he's very good at it and very dedicated; I know he sometimes works 70-80 hours a week at his nursery.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Eric, reckon I should start mental preperations to quit smoking the day I get those seeds!:D

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please post back how your seeds do. I've tried cedars before and had no luck at all. Have done well with acers, pines, and others, but not with cedars. Also FYI, don't be disappointed if your seedlings aren't as blue as you expected. Lots of the nice blue ones you see out there are grafted varieties. You might take a look into pinyon pines also. They often exhibit a nice blue quality and look very similar to atlas cedars.

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi

Something unexpected, I should have the seeds coming Thursday.

jferrier - I hope you are wrong, I have an Acacia that has blueish leaves as well (the species in general), I picked the best tree from the lot, but it's never had the colour of some I passed over.
So I hope they germinate, and I hope for some blue! :)

I've had nothing but bad luck with any conifer I've even looked at, and we have very little variety available locally, never even seen ANY type pine tree for sal locally.

The local nurseries seem to have discovered maples and elms recently, that's going to cost me money sometime soon! :)

Cheers
Gerhard

Top Bottom