ATTACK the MONSTER CRAPE!

Reaction score
what a fat little tree! one of the fattest i've seen ;) i keep expecting to see aerial roots. looks like it could climb out of its container and beat me at arm wrestling.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
keep us updated on this monster tree. glad it made it.

eric

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing Fast

This tree is growing quickly this year. Things warmed up last month so it took off. I cut back all the long, out of control branches that I let extend at the end of last year's growing season. This caused all of the interior buds to break. I've been pinching the right side of the tree like crazy and the left side I'm letting grow out to extend the silhouette on that side. It's growing really strong, I was planning on defoliating it at some point this year and wiring it out, but I wonder if I would gain anything by defoliating it now and wiring it out. What do you more experienced people think?

Attachments

• Monster Crape 4:4:11.jpg
    Monster Crape 4:4:11.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 272

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This tree is growing quickly this year. Things warmed up last month so it took off. I cut back all the long, out of control branches that I let extend at the end of last year's growing season. This caused all of the interior buds to break. I've been pinching the right side of the tree like crazy and the left side I'm letting grow out to extend the silhouette on that side. It's growing really strong, I was planning on defoliating it at some point this year and wiring it out, but I wonder if I would gain anything by defoliating it now and wiring it out. What do you more experienced people think?

Nice to see an update! Thanks!

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow!! (I'm not able to answer your question, I'm just staring in disbelief). That thing is amazing....make sure you take good care of it.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Defoliated!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I went ahead and defoliated (See pic). It took an hour and a half! I'm used to defoliating shohin and chuhin size trees. This is the first time I've ever defoliated a tree this size. I've never defoliated my smaller crape myrtles this early in the season. But with the way it is growing I doubt I'll have any problems. My plan is to keep pinching it back hard and really focus on creating some good branch structure. I'm still debating whether or not I should wire this guy out or just keep doing the clip and grow method like I have been for the past 5 years or so.

Attachments

• Crape Myrtle Defoliated 4:12:11.jpg
    Crape Myrtle Defoliated 4:12:11.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 220

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Balancing Energy

I noticed this spring that part of the right side of the tree was very strong. The left side not quite as strong and the top had the least amount of strength. I'm trying a new (to this tree) technique. I defoliated the top about 2 weeks ago and mostly defoliated the left side about 2 days ago. In about another week I'll defoliate the right side. Not sure if this will help balance the energy in a crape myrtle or not. But we will see!

Attachments

• Crape Myrtle 05:06:2013.jpg
    Crape Myrtle 05:06:2013.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The ramification is coming along real nice. Thanks for the update.

David

Reaction score
I noticed this spring that part of the right side of the tree was very strong. The left side not quite as strong and the top had the least amount of strength. I'm trying a new (to this tree) technique. I defoliated the top about 2 weeks ago and mostly defoliated the left side about 2 days ago. In about another week I'll defoliate the right side. Not sure if this will help balance the energy in a crape myrtle or not. But we will see!
Curious question...
Why not just defoliate the stronger side ?

Another way to control and help balance a tree that I have
found very useful and less stressful, is by going through and
removing older, and bigger foilage in the areas with more
strength. Even just removing some of the foilage, thinning
it out works rather well.

Very nice material... I know this sounds funny, but have you
considered allowing it to become a bigger tree ? I think it
would help balance out the awesome thickness of your trunk.

Keep up the good work !!!
:)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Too bad the last update is from 2013. I wish to see more of this tree. This really is back breaker level.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Ryan sold or at least had this tree for sale several years ago...if I remember correctly he was asking a pretty exorbant price so maybe it sold or maybe it didn't??

Top Bottom