Attention hemlock lovers

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone help a hemlock rookie out? This is a hemlock I collected with a permit about 7-8 years ago on the Olympic Peninsula. I just moved this tree from a grow flat (where I let it recuperate for way too long) to an oversized training pot. It seems very happy and has put out lots of new growth. I'm realizing however that I really don't understand the proper way to further refine a hemlock. Should all the new green growth be removed in order to promote a second flush of more refined growth or should just the tips be removed to promote tighter more dense growth. It doesn't seem like back budding really happens. I'm trying to develop foliage pads closer to the trunk...and I'm not doing very good.:confused: This is the tree after I removed the tips of the new growth and some full "candles" today. (I know their not really candles)

Oh and it used to have an apex. If your bored and would like to know what happened to that see:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5261&highlight=transient

Attachments

• Hemlock 5-2011.jpg
    Hemlock 5-2011.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 630

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk is about 3 inches in diameter and the height is about 18".

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
I just read a little snip-it in Bonsai Today about this and it said you can pinch back the growth to balance energy thus growing out the buds you want (ie. closer to the trunk). I dont think hemlock will produce a second flush of growth in the same year if you remove all of the new growth after it has extended but I am not sure. I acquired a few hemlock last year so Im curious about this as well.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know if I see a second flush of growth. If it has happened before I've never noticed.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thats a very nice find,i wish we had those were i live.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I'm not sure if you would call this second, third, fourth, flush. This thing doesn't seem to quite and it's almost September. I just keep pinching but the pads are way to thick and congested.

Attachments

• Hemlock growth.jpg
    Hemlock growth.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 232

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The new apex I'm growing is floppy and about a foot long.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hemlocks will extend new growth all season long if they are happy... This can be a problem sometimes, and hence, I don't feed much. Like almost never ever. But even with that, my western hemlock still has tender new growth because it likes life so much. Mountain hemlock will tend to be a little less vigourous, but still is happy to grow at different times in the season, especially when being fed. Though the likelihood of blowing needle lengths all to hell is high. Less food = more compact growth.

You won't get back budding, and lack of taper in branchs can be a significant problem in collected hemlocks, so you have to cut way back in along a heavy branch as far as you can/want to an area of active growth, and grow it out into new pads. If you don't have growth in close, the beauty of hemlocks is that you can wire them heavily and bend them like a wet noodle practically. Giving interest to the branch and visually drawing the growth back in close to the trunk.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a very nice tree, Jason, and good work with it. But now I know why it's growing farther south than it's supposed to: it's a Western hemlock. The foliage lies flat on the branchlets. Mountain hemlock foliage is circumferential, as in the photo below.

Well . . . the "photo below" isn't posting this evening. I'll post it either here or on my thread as asoon as things get back in gear.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I would thin it out quite a bit, the middle section is way too thick. These love a good thinning and cutting them back. They respond very well. They also love fertalizer and water, just make sure to keep up on the growth and keep it in check. Hemlocks are one of my favorite trees...... with that said, they have been known to drop a branch for no reason....I have seen that happen to a bunch of different people.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
How long does it take for the branch to set before the wire can be removed?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone,

I appreciate you all chiming in and helping me out a little with this tree. It's been a challenging one for me. I'll definitely do some thinning and work back some of the branches. The description on working back the branches to rework pads and increase taper was helpful, Victrinia. Your right about it being way too bushy Jason. This pick was taken earlier in the year too. You should see it now!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, heck - finally!

Here's the MH foliage. Hopefully the difference is plain.

There are, BTW, genetic hybrids with intermediate foliage, just to confuse us. :D

Attachments

• MHFoliageMacro.jpg
    MHFoliageMacro.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
USDA Zone
does anyone have suggestions on collecting a hemlock growing in loose pudding stone?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get as much of the root ball as you can.....or if you aren't in a hurry and have access to this tree then you could prep it and take it in a couple of years.
Cheers G

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Jason,
I prefer Mtn. Hemlock as they usually have more character.....I like to use the secondary branches and over time eliminate the larger primary ones......so this refines the image into the main stem,....neither of the hemlocks back bud.....so sometimes you have to encourage the small branches...they also respond to fertilizer and like more of an organic mix.... This one was collected in the fall of 08 and put into this pot the spring of 2010.....just fed it since then....so now it gets its first re-style......
Cheers Gman

Attachments

• 09-2008-HmFirststyleNov2011Back#1.jpg
    09-2008-HmFirststyleNov2011Back#1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 09-2009-HmFirststyleNov2011#1.jpg
    09-2009-HmFirststyleNov2011#1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is there any special treatment for a hemlock after transplant?
do they rely on microorganisms, or prefer acid soil?
i plan to use superthrive and heavy misting.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update

I just trimmed this tree again. I haven't re-wired yet. It has regrown a new apex. I'll get a better picture after the re-wire.

hemlock 2-12.jpg

Top Bottom