Attention hemlock lovers

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice progression, like the angle and pot change.
I'd be interested in peoples ideas regarding the current pot and angles of both of these. I think the mountain hemlock needs to be slightly more upright with time and repotting. It could look nice on a slab. Thoughts?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd be interested in peoples ideas regarding the current pot and angles of both of these. I think the mountain hemlock needs to be slightly more upright with time and repotting. It could look nice on a slab. Thoughts?
I have seen some amazing hemlocks on natural slabs, Michael Hagedorn's garden has fine examples. As i collect Hemlocks i am always looking for pots that suit. Here is one from Sarah Rayner that i felt suited my twin trunk Hemlock. The color and subtle patterns seem to suit. The pot was acquired at the Artisans cup along with a couple others from Sarah. Twin Trunk Mt. Hemlock Nov17.jpgThis Hemlock was collected by Anton Njuis as well. I acquired it in 2014 and began that fall with an initial styling at Michael Hagedorn's.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have seen some amazing hemlocks on natural slabs, Michael Hagedorn's garden has fine examples. As i collect Hemlocks i am always looking for pots that suit. Here is one from Sarah Rayner that i felt suited my twin trunk Hemlock. The color and subtle patterns seem to suit. The pot was acquired at the Artisans cup along with a couple others from Sarah. View attachment 197308This Hemlock was collected by Anton Njuis as well. I acquired it in 2014 and began that fall with an initial styling at Michael Hagedorn's.

Wow! Tree and pot are just awesome. This is one of my favorites I've seen on this forum in some time. Something about the second foliage pad on the main trunk is uncomfortable to me though. Maybe it needs to go left instead of right? But I'm picking nits.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! Tree and pot are just awesome. This is one of my favorites I've seen on this forum in some time. Something about the second foliage pad on the main trunk is uncomfortable to me though. Maybe it needs to go left instead of right? But I'm picking nits.
Interesting comment, the third pad on the main trunk right side is very much in development and the plan is for elongation to the left. Please keep in mind that the tree has only been worked on for 4 years this coming fall. it is by know means fully refined.
I feel very good about the progress and the pot seems a good fit. Hemlock bark can have a blue grey cast to it that is tough to complement. Sarah Rayner does those combinations very well.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think we're saying the same thing. Not that you were asking for advice, so hopefully you don't mind the crude virt, but this is kinda what I meant.

2018-06-18 22.48.49.jpg

Again, very cool tree and you ahould feel good about the progress. Apologies @Jason for taking your thread off track. I really like your hemlock as well and agree that it would look sweet on a slab with that slanting angle.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think we're saying the same thing. Not that you were asking for advice, so hopefully you don't mind the crude virt, but this is kinda what I meant.

View attachment 197368

Again, very cool tree and you ahould feel good about the progress. Apologies @Jason for taking your thread off track. I really like your hemlock as well and agree that it would look sweet on a slab with that slanting angle.
No concerns, i am thinking of the third pad extending with some negative space below on the left instead of the large pad dominating one side. Will see how it develops this year. The picture was taken last fall. Currently the new growth is extending for this year.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a closer look at one of Sarah's pots that i purchased for a smaller Hemlock i am developing. It shows the texture and colour blend that i feel suits the blue green needles and bark of the hemlock. Have you considered making a slab ? I have seen some nice quikcrete projects. Check out Anton Njuis website for some examples. I believe he even has some instructions on the website.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom