Auction Bonsai of the Month - November, 2007

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I looked at this tree originally I thought it was interesting - maybe a sapphire in the rough (more common but less valuable than a diamond in the rough). Finished, it would be a decent tree, would improve my collection and would be a show stopper in many of the lesser US shows. I don't totally agree with Tom that it would take a life-time, but I do think it would be a 4-5 year project to refine the roots, branching and foliage (as opposed to a complete restyle that would take much longer).

I think the biggest issue I have with this tree is the reverse taper in the upper trunk - as that really gives the image of instablity in my eye, and I do not think this can be overcome (at least not in the refinement time frame I state above) due to the massiveness of the trunk/branch structure above it.

Me personally, if I could get this tree cheap - I might try it. But, it would probably move out of my collection in time.

I will say this though. There are American & European students in Japan right now that pay very close attention to the Yahoo! Japan auctions, and if there was a good tree, a true diamond in the rough, or even a decent tree at a resonable price - as viewed by Western standards, it would be purchased for their domestic collections. So, we can debate the merits of these trees, but when it comes down to it, there are individuals with our similar tastes & backgrounds (with much more training though) that have the access to these trees - and their actions will speak much louder than our words.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't totally agree with Tom that it would take a life-time
Well, that is because your not an old geezer:)

Me personally, if I could get this tree cheap - I might try it. But, it would probably move out of my collection in time.
That is what one would assume that the seller is doing. If you going to get rid of it why waste the effort? Find a better tree that in the same time you could have a greater impact on. A risk is run if you took this in just to try and improve it. If you "actually" pulled it of that would be one thing. However, if you don't and try and sell it. Your credibility of a purveyor of good bonsai material could be damaged. Not to mention the time wasted. A risky venture in my opinion.

There are many trees out there that deserve time and effort. Our time is finite, and to make an impact you have to pick a tree / material wisely.

Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, that is because your not an old geezer:)

Maybe not, but I sure feel like it...

That is what one would assume that the seller is doing. If you going to get rid of it why waste the effort? Find a better tree that in the same time you could have a greater impact on. A risk is run if you took this in just to try and improve it. If you "actually" pulled it of that would be one thing. However, if you don't and try and sell it. Your credibility of a purveyor of good bonsai material could be damaged. Not to mention the time wasted. A risky venture in my opinion.

There are many trees out there that deserve time and effort. Our time is finite, and to make an impact you have to pick a tree / material wisely.

We are at different points in our bonsai lives. I am still actively seeking out challenging material that I can use to learn off. At my stage of learning, I want a variety of quality of material so I can attempt new techniques, practice different approaches with and quite simply, watch and learn - using lower quality material as I gain experience and skills so that when I work on my higher quality material I am confident in what I am doing. Now, this is not a case for purchasing every piece of junk or stick in a pot in a nursery, or collecting anything and everything I see (ask Jason, we drove hundreds of miles and spent 2 days collecting last weekend and came back with a total of 1 tree), nor is it an arguement to purchase this tree. It is to say at this point I will have more trees than I want in my personal collection and I will use each one to learn something -vs- you Tom, who has drastically different bonsai motives, experience and level of knowledge. That is why I have 110 trees in my personal collection right now, and you have managed to get yours down to 6 (though my target is 20-30 exibit quality trees and 30-40 trees in development)... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom