8a
exposed_small.jpg

Japanese White Pine, Yahoo! Auction Japan

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tough finding interesting bonsai on Japanese sites this month. There were some great trees but none that really "spoke" to me. Because I was running out of time, I decided to select this interesting Japanese White Pine for two reasons; first, the exposed root style is somewhat uncommon, and second, the amazing health and ramification of the canopy. I'm sure some will find the design heavy and needing refinement, but you can't complain that you don't have enough raw material to work with :)

exposed_1.jpg

exposed_2.jpg

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Fine Bonsai. I really like it. The small compact needles are impressive as well. Thinned , wired and an elegent new pot it could be very special. Please send it out right away!
Mark

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No one has anything to say about this tree?
Mom always said .."if you don't have anything good to say, don't say a thing".

This particular tree really doesn't float my boat. Yes it seems in good health however talking about that would be a very limited subject since we have no idea about the care and why it appears so healthy.

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
I think this might be a Kokonoe, I would love to have it.The density of the branchs means choices and the opportunity to create pads within pads. This image would create an elegent floating cloud look. Paired with the right pot this Bonsai could be breath taking. I may be starting to lust after this one.
One of the nice things about Bonsai is that if you can "see" the tree when others don't, you get to have the fun ! Fortunately we do not all have the same taste, that would be boring.

Mark

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree, but I would like it much more if those roots were a little thicker. Thickening those exposed roots would add weight and stability to the trunk, lending a better support for the foliage, which right now is on the heavy side, by comparison to the trunk.

And that wouldn't be hard to do.
It seems to be an interesting and entertaining tree, which is a big plus in my book.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry Greg, what Tom said:(

... on second thought the tree may be worthy of a second look if the foliage was reduced by at least 2/3. Way to heavy for the root structure and the pot does not lend well to the daintiness of the root system.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry Greg, what Tom said:(

Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings :) I try to pick trees that are interesting at some level, while having flaws in some areas. The point is not to say "I like it" or "I dont like it" but rather what you would do if it were your tree; what direction you would take its care, or whether you would even continue to grow it as bonsai. In this case, the tree is exhibiting out-of-control budding and needs a lot of thinning as well as detailed wire work. It almost looks like a tree that has been given to someone who doesn't know how to care for it and who has let it bud without constraint for a year. What is lush growth right now will be shaded inner branches in 6 months and dead inner growth in the Fall if someone doesn't take action. At the same time, right now there is a lot to work with :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The point is not to say "I like it" or "I dont like it" but rather what you would do if it were your tree; what direction you would take its care, or whether you would even continue to grow it as bonsai.

I would go in the exact same direction the owner of this tree is taking.....sell it and move on. ;)

Materiam superabat opus.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would go in the exact same direction the owner of this tree is taking.....sell it and move on. ;)

Really? Nothing positive to say about this very old tree? Is the material really so lacking that your advice would be to move on to something else? Hmmmmm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I actually feel that this is a tree I'd like to own. Sure, there are some flaws but all in all I'd say it's a challenging tree wich might be a perfectly good candidate for a national show in the end. The roots could be repositioned and with some thinning and wiring I'd say it could look really good. I agree with Attilla(?) that it has enough character to keep me interested and the quirkyness makes it a tree that I would probably remember if I saw it in ten years from now (wich I can't really say about the thousands of deadwood junipers and japanese pine shohin).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I don't believe I would feel ashame of it, even if it would never make it to gingko...

Attachments

• exposed_1.jpg
    exposed_1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 12

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really? Nothing positive to say about this very old tree? Is the material really so lacking that your advice would be to move on to something else? Hmmmmm
Chris this tree as your aware could be refined the question is could it be done in your life time. The difference between the trunk and and roots alone would take a very long time. Not to mention the other refinements. The best thing this owner is doing is removing it from his collection allowing him to focus on an image that is attainable say in 8 to 10 years vs. his reincarnation in the next life. That is as about as positive as it gets. Not being sarcastic but realistic.

Come on, I'm preaching to the choir.:) Surely Boon has taught you to walk away from material that would take away from energy better spent on another tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris this tree as your aware could be refined the question is could it be done in your life time. The difference between the trunk and and roots alone would take a very long time. Not to mention the other refinements. The best thing this owner is doing is removing it from his collection allowing him to focus on an image that is attainable say in 8 to 10 years vs. his reincarnation in the next life. That is as about as positive as it gets. Not being sarcastic but realistic.

Come on, I'm preaching to the choir.:) Surely Boon has taught you to walk away from material that would take away from energy better spent on another tree.

Tom,
I'd like to see more of this tree before I made that kind of determination. The trunk looks thick, but I don't think it is unmanageable. I was just surprised that Will suggested moving on...perhaps to his little mugho that I suggested moving on from and got my head handed to me for not being positive...

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Really Bonsai Nuts?

The point is not to say "I like it" or "I dont like it" but rather what you would do if it were your tree; what direction you would take its care, or whether you would even continue to grow it as bonsai.

You folks must have much better collections than I do... I would take this tree in a skinny minute. I would like to see what a good session of wiring and pruning would reveal. Although exposed root is not my favorite style regardless of the species, I think this tree has the potential to be a very interesting and pleasing bonsai. ...it has taken years for this tree to reach its present form(and we all know there is no substitute for "real" age) and much more time will be needed to achieve the level of outstanding...but isn't the investment of time one of the great appeals of this hobby?

just my thoughts...
john

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Johng,

I had similar thoughts about this pine as you. This would be the best pine in my collection if it was in my collection. Perhaps that says more about my collection than this pine...

Welcome to BonsaiNut!

Regards,
Martin

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Johng,

I had similar thoughts about this pine as you. This would be the best pine in my collection if it was in my collection. Perhaps that says more about my collection than this pine...

Welcome to BonsaiNut!

Regards,
Martin

See, that's the thing, Martin. Even if it has some major flaws, it's still a show-stopper anyplace in the United States once it is styled. It's certainly better by light years than anything some of its detractors have working.

Top Bottom