August Pinching Scott Pine

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I live in London and am back again with my impatient questions. Have gone through quite a few posts on internet but still want final suggestions on my tree, attached here. Unless I have spent one full cycle with Pines, I will not become confident with Pinching, de-candling, needle plucking etc.

As per the advise from a local bonsai nursery, I had cut short many of the candles when they were still emerging in the spring this year, and were say one/two inches long.

Now that all the trimmed and non-trimmed candles have become shoots and the needles have formed, I see that there are many shoots jutting out, hurting the round shape of this tree and so I was thinking of trimming again. Most of the shoots have formed their bud at the tip for next spring and those which had been trimmed in spring, some of them have formed new buds, as can be seen in the picture.

My question is, Can I, at this time of the year, trim back the new growths to get back the round shape ?IMG-0165.JPGIMG-0166.JPG trim back the new tiny growths to get back the round shape ?

Last edited:

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I have to keep the tree from growing bigger as otherwise it will be too large fir my garden? It had rounded firm last year when I bought it.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So do you want it as a garden tree or to train it as a bonsai?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I dont understand then why you are trying to apply bonsai techniques to it. But as to your question, it might be too late in your climate to remove the shoots. Maybe someone from London can chime in with more precise info about this. FWIW, we normally remove shoots to induce backbudding, which allows to increase ramification and compact tge design. Not sure if you want to do these things.

Top Bottom