Australian Brush Cherry Tree Help

e_rico94

Seed
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone. I have had my Australian Brush Cherry Tree for a month and it’s starting to dry up and looks like it’s dying. I had just moved recently and the temperature change in the houses were way different I’ve been continuing to water it when needed but not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 9F6FDAC3-C195-449D-B47A-BC093A3946DB.jpeg
    9F6FDAC3-C195-449D-B47A-BC093A3946DB.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 39
  • B9C34B66-D87C-4506-A381-F9692D5C24C5.jpeg
    B9C34B66-D87C-4506-A381-F9692D5C24C5.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 37

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be just "falling".

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I guess this is one of the Syzigium species. Brush cherry is just one of the common names and can apply to a number of different species.
They should be evergreen so dry leaves is not good.
Dry or cold can both cause similar symptoms. My area is marginal for these with temps dipping just below freezing through winter so they sometimes drop leaves here. The good news is these are pretty hardy and often recover after unplanned defoliation.

Make sure they have enough soil moisture, keep above freezing and cross fingers.

Advice will vary depending on climate and location. It will help get better advice if you add your location in your profile so it shows up each time you pots here.

Karl

Seed
Reaction score
I strongly suspect that this is Syzigium australe, locally called a Lilly Pilly or Bush (not Brush) Cherry, with a red-pinkish fruit that is edible (good bush tucker!) (Have a look here: https://tuckerbush.com.au/tucker-bush-cherry-syzygium-australe/) Yours looks especially dried out (rather than burnt off by excess cold) although they can suffer in cold climates. Some research has shown that they are more robust against colder weather if some calcium is added and mixed into the soil. As Shibui has said, they are reasonably hardy when it comes to regeneration, and do respond to root pruning in spring and early summer (certainly in Sydney NSW) and defoliation. And as my old bonsai master, Len Webber, would say (echoing Shibui again) "keep your fingers crossed!" Good luck. Karl

Top Bottom