Australian Plants as Bonsai, Canberra Bonsai Society

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I don't think I have seen these mentioned here and thought it'd be nice to share as they have been made public on the CBS website and facebook pages.
I have no affiliation with them just want to share some different trees. But maybe some of the Aussie members can share a bit more insight on the show, some maybe even had trees on display.

You can see a couple more pics on this link and can also view the past exhibitions by clicking the APaB show galleries link. Well worth a look.

And I believe this is all the trees via their facebook page.

Not sure which one is my favourite, I love both the Eucs here and some of the Banksias in the facebook album are pretty cool.

This one is a Kunzea phylicoides that took a 1st place in the Artistic Merit category.
1615648621175.png

This was 2nd place. Eucalyptus nichollii
1615648755440.png

This Acacia howittii took 1st place in Peoples choice.
1615648853153.png

And this Eucalyptus elata was 2nd.
1615648894370.png

Karl

Seed
Reaction score
Great pix - thank you. Personally I thought the second place winner (the Eucalyptus nicholii) was better finished off as an exhibition piece (better pleasing balance between the trees themselves and the pot and a more realistic landscape treatment - although I am not a fan of figurine accessories like tiny kangaroos - bit trite? Cliche? What do others think?) than the first place winner - the Kunzea has lovely bark but is very visually undefined in its foliage that for me detracts from the artistic merit of the display. Of course this is all a personal preference but I think it worth sparking up some discussion about displayed material that wins prizes. Karl

Top Bottom